gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:00:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine as a guitarist.  (Read 14933 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »

Al is a good guitarist. So was Carl. Neither of them demonstrated any advanced proficiency on the instrument. It wasn't called for or necessary.
Listen to their early rhythm tracks. The instrumental playing propels those songs and also provides most of the underlying harmonic content. They were a great band made up of decent musicians.
That's not a bad thing.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 07:59:54 PM »

hey Olmec, do you think that Al clip is for real,   He sounds Awful.   Like someone dubbed in a bad off key solo....He'll I can play a better lead even with a bad case of stage fright and no monitor.............Huh??
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 03:50:24 AM »

Did Al or Carl ever attempt to play any of the more 80s-souding guitar solos in a live setting (which are natively found on their 80s studio catalog, played by studio musicians)?

Carl certainly did ("Still Cruisin'", for instance), but they used Eddie Carter for some ("Somewhere Near Japan", "Summer In Paradise").

During the early 90s they had an extra guy come on stage and add the licks to Under the Boardwalk. Who was he?

Well, for about a year after Jeff F. left, they had a guitar tech named Stanley T. in the band playing the whole set (including slide on some song or another...maybe it was "Island Girl", I can't quite remember). A few years later, after Eddie C. left, they had their guitar tech come on to play the "SIP" lead, and also "Barbara Ann".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 04:04:07 AM »

Does Al play the guitar on the acoustic solo version of California?

The "A Postcard from California" version? Guitars on that are credited to Al and Michael Lent. Incidentally, even though the electric Danelectro part on the title song is credited to Al, Al himself told me that's actually Glen Campbell. Which makes sense.

Al's a very good acoustic guitarist - when he appeared on Pete Fornatale's WNEW-FM radio show in '83, Al performed a solo acoustic version of "Sloop John B.", and it's quite good - he plays the intricate arpeggio while singing.

As for electric guitar, dig the way he and Carl mesh up on the "Dance, Dance, Dance" backing track - driving rhythm guitar throughout, including during the solo (which Carl played live on the basic track).

Onstage, Al may be mixed low a lot, but from the mid '70s or so on, they always turned him up for the intro to "Do It Again" (where he played a syncopated rhythm part behind Carl's main riff). Then there was the live "Fridays" performance of "Keepin' The Summer Alive" - when Carl goes for the solo, Al steps on a pedal and activates a wah or phase effect on his own rhythm guitar - sounds pretty cool. Lastly, in case someone's never  noticed, Al has typically doubled the main lead riff on a few songs like "You're So Good To Me", while still covering the rhythm chords, and has played the counter lead on "Sloop" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
Nicko1234
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 04:23:54 AM »

I think the previous poster was referring to the acoustic version that was on the ESQ Dennis CD (and featured a little in the Endless Harmony doc).

At the time I remember it was stated that Al did play guitar on it.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 10:12:09 AM »

I think the previous poster was referring to the acoustic version that was on the ESQ Dennis CD (and featured a little in the Endless Harmony doc).

No the one allegedly done for the country album (was it a guide track specifically for Merle Haggard to sing?)
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »

Maybe not always audible, but following his playiing onstage, A looks more than competent in switching chords at the right rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsaTtfRKJdg#t=20s

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »

When's the last time that a proper BB live show was played with Al and Carl as the only guitar players present onstage?
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »

When's the last time that a proper BB live show was played with Al and Carl as the only guitar players present onstage?
Hmm… There were lip syncing performances with only Carl and Al, but for an actual LIVE CONCERT, I'd have to say 1966. With Al playing rhythm guitar, Carl playing lead guitar, and Bruce playing bass guitar.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »

Hmm… There were lip syncing performances with only Carl and Al, but for an actual LIVE CONCERT, I'd have to say 1966. With Al playing rhythm guitar, Carl playing lead guitar, and Bruce playing bass guitar.

The mid 90s?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »

Seems like I saw Carl and Al on guitar and Ed Carter on bass a LOT of times.......no other axes on stage.     Edit that to include Jeffrey for many shows at some point in the 80's
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »

Here is Al playing the lead on the opening to Fun Fun Fun : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1O0Ip3SUk
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »

The mid 90s?

I guess my question should have been worded more along the lines, of when was the last time that a proper BB live show was played with Al and Carl as the only guitar players present onstage, before anybody additional was regularly added to supplement on guitar?
Nicko1234
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »

No the one allegedly done for the country album (was it a guide track specifically for Merle Haggard to sing?)

That`s the song I was referring to.

And I recall Al saying he did it for someone like Merle Haggard to do. But sadly they went for the more obvious hits route.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »

Did Al or Carl ever attempt to play any of the more 80s-souding guitar solos in a live setting (which are natively found on their 80s studio catalog, played by studio musicians)?

Carl certainly did ("Still Cruisin'", for instance), but they used Eddie Carter for some ("Somewhere Near Japan", "Summer In Paradise").

During the early 90s they had an extra guy come on stage and add the licks to Under the Boardwalk. Who was he?

Well, for about a year after Jeff F. left, they had a guitar tech named Stanley T. in the band playing the whole set (including slide on some song or another...maybe it was "Island Girl", I can't quite remember). A few years later, after Eddie C. left, they had their guitar tech come on to play the "SIP" lead, and also "Barbara Ann".

Thanks. I always found intriguing that the would have a roadie play a more prominent part than Carl's.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »

Here is Al playing the lead on the opening to Fun Fun Fun : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1O0Ip3SUk

You sure that's not the guitarist in the back?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »

The mid 90s?

I guess my question should have been worded more along the lines, of when was the last time that a proper BB live show was played with Al and Carl as the only guitar players present onstage, before anybody additional was regularly added to supplement on guitar?

For most of the set in '95 and '96, Carl and Al were the only guitarists. They only moved Ed to lead guitar, or brought out the roadie, for one or two songs. It was probably that way in '94 and the second half of '93 (after Adrian left), too. In '97 they had Phil Bardowell as backup. Check out the July 4th '95 Philly show, which is on Youtube. Carl and Al were also the only guitarists for most of the set in '79 (first time I saw 'em) and the second half of 1980 (e.g., the July Fourth show that year). And '74, '75, '76 and '77 (in '78 Eddie mostly played guitar 'cause Bri was on bass).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:52:14 PM by c-man » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »

The mid 90s?

For most of the set in '95 and '96, Carl and Al were the only guitarists. They only moved Ed to lead guitar, or brought out the roadie, for one or two songs. It was probably that way in '94 and the second half of '93 (after Adrian left), too. In '97 they had Phil Bardowell as backup. Check out the July 4th '95 Philly show, which is on Youtube. Carl and Al were also the only guitarists for most of the set in '79 (first time I saw 'em) and the second half of 1980 (e.g., the July Fourth show that year). And '74, '75, '76 and '77 (in '78 Eddie mostly played guitar 'cause Bri was on bass).

Interesting info, thanks c-man! Your research is much appreciated for the entire fan community. I guess Al/Carl being the only guitar players happened for quite a bit longer than I realized, though it was still sporadic.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 03:51:18 AM »

The mid 90s?

Interesting info, thanks c-man! Your research is much appreciated for the entire fan community. I guess Al/Carl being the only guitar players happened for quite a bit longer than I realized, though it was still sporadic.

Well, I would say having a third guitarist throughout most of the show was actually more sporadic for the first twenty years of their career...two guitars (plus bass, of course) had been more the norm prior to 1981. The first years they added a third guitar on most songs were '72 and '73 (Blondie and a sideman, such as Ed Carter, rotating guitar and bass throughout the set)...and then '78, first half of '80, most of '81, then '82 through the first half of '93, and finally '97 (if we're just taking the Carl and Al years, which we are). Overall, including the Carl and Dave years, through to Carl's departure, that's 17 years with three (or more) guitarists playing most of the set versus 19 with just two.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »

Some close ups of Al playing GV here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZDpP_a4Nvg
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:08:20 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »

It's pretty obvious that Al's a solid guitarist - playing the chord changes to a set of Beach Boy songs is no small feat.  Now that being said, he's not a blues/rock soloist style of guitar player.  He's really strong on bass as well.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:55 PM »

Some close ups of Al playing GV here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZDpP_a4Nvg

You know, it definitely does look like he's playing the principal guitar part in this clip
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »

The mid 90s?

For most of the set in '95 and '96, Carl and Al were the only guitarists. They only moved Ed to lead guitar, or brought out the roadie, for one or two songs. It was probably that way in '94 and the second half of '93 (after Adrian left), too.   

Definitely 1994. I saw them twice that year and they had the roadie play the busiest part on Boardwalk and probably a another song (Summer in Paradise? Barbara Ann?). It was Carl and Al on guitars for the rest of the show and they kicked ass.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »

Another tune where Al has traditionally played a dominant guitar part onstage: "Don't Worry Baby" (the middle break). It might be pushing it to call this a "solo", but it's definitely a "break", where the lead guitar is turned up to play those loud rhythmic stabs. Al can be seen taking this part at the 1981 Long Beach show, and in 1995 I was about ten feet from the band when they did this song, and witnessed Al taking that part while Carl continued strumming the basic rhythm part on his guitar.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2015, 08:47:16 AM »

Another tune where Al has traditionally played a dominant guitar part onstage: "Don't Worry Baby" (the middle break). It might be pushing it to call this a "solo", but it's definitely a "break", where the lead guitar is turned up to play those loud rhythmic stabs. Al can be seen taking this part at the 1981 Long Beach show, and in 1995 I was about ten feet from the band when they did this song, and witnessed Al taking that part while Carl continued strumming the basic rhythm part on his guitar.

Side question: am I imagining this, or do I recall reading that David Marks plays this part on record and that Brian asked him back into the studio to play this part even after he'd otherwise parted ways with the live band?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx