gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:22:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine as a guitarist.  (Read 14930 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »

I've been debating with a fellow BB nerd and he claims "Al may be a great singer, but he can barely play guitar! When he does, he's barely even audible in the mix, like the Concert album!"
I reply with, "Al is usually low in the mix, but I have heard guys on Smiley Smile praise him as a lead guitarist when playing with his Endless Summer band."

I honestly think Al is a pretty good guitarist. He may not be as good as Carl Wilson or Blondie Chaplin, but he can sure play.

My main question is- does anyone have any videos of Al Jardine playing lead guitar? Thanks!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »

Dunno, but I certainly saw him play the guitar solo in "Dance, Dance, Dance" during a BW show.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »

There some videos on You Tube with Al playing acoustic guitar and singing along to some Beach Boys classics. I thought he was good. As far as lead electric guitar, I don't know of too many on stage.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »

Al would commonly play lead guitar on Sail On Sailor when it came back into the setlists in the mid-1990s and again when he went on tour with his own group.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »

I've always thought he was a good solid rhythm guitarist.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:40:47 PM »

Al would commonly play lead guitar on Sail On Sailor when it came back into the setlists in the mid-1990s and again when he went on tour with his own group.

Check out the "Doin' It Again" performance of SOS from 2012...Jeff, Dave and Al take turns at the leads. I believe Al plays the final one.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »

My main question is- does anyone have any videos of Al Jardine playing lead guitar? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpy4NfDQjio#t=2m50s
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »

Did Al or Carl ever attempt to play any of the more 80s-souding guitar solos in a live setting (which are natively found on their 80s studio catalog, played by studio musicians)?
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »

LOL

That clip never fails to make me laugh.  Thanks.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »

Oh wow, thanks!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 07:20:14 PM »

If you can' t play it with your teeth are you really a serious guitarist?  I mean seriously!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 07:52:51 PM »

Al is almost as good a guitarist as he is a dentist.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »

I  always thought Al was a much more gifted guitar player than myKe luHv. He could sing better, 2.   Razz

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »

Oh wow, thanks!
When I was much younger I used to confuse that era Al with Will Millar of The Irish Rovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOtUP7iU6wE
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 11:32:15 PM »

We could always assume he never picks up the guitar at home and just hasn't practised or improved the years. Not really likely, though, is it?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 03:37:48 AM »

The latest issue of Guitar World magazine has a feature article on Al. In the interview, Al describes the chops of Carl, Ed Carter, Brian's band, and the Wrecking Crew. He says "someone told me Hal Blaine considers me the best rhythm guitarist. I said, 'Is he crazy?' (laughs) There are so many better players than me. But there's a trick to good rhythm guitar, so I take that as high praise."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 03:40:11 AM »

Did Al or Carl ever attempt to play any of the more 80s-souding guitar solos in a live setting (which are natively found on their 80s studio catalog, played by studio musicians)?

Carl certainly did ("Still Cruisin'", for instance), but they used Eddie Carter for some ("Somewhere Near Japan", "Summer In Paradise").
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 03:45:14 AM »

Carl certainly did ("Still Cruisin'", for instance), but they used Eddie Carter for some ("Somewhere Near Japan", "Summer In Paradise").

During the early 90s they had an extra guy come on stage and add the licks to Under the Boardwalk. Who was he?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:10 AM »

The latest issue of Guitar World magazine has a feature article on Al. In the interview, Al describes the chops of Carl, Ed Carter, Brian's band, and the Wrecking Crew. He says "someone told me Hal Blaine considers me the best rhythm guitarist. I said, 'Is he crazy?' (laughs) There are so many better players than me. But there's a trick to good rhythm guitar, so I take that as high praise."

I always thought that praise was addressed at Carl. Nevertheless, among the guys Alan is probably the one who could play more stringed instruments (still does), and he's solid enough as a rhythm guy. He chooses some cool voicings too.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 07:56:53 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 08:32:29 AM »

I’ve talked about this before in past threads. Al has rarely been able to demonstrate on stage over the years much elaborate guitar playing. He would probably be the first to admit he never a big lead player, especially doing improvisational stuff (e.g. that awesome train wreck “American Bandstand” jam).

But he’s a solid player, and much better than he has usually displayed on stage over the years at BB concerts, especially by the 80’s and 90’s when the shows were often rather rote. But I’ve seen him live on his own doing some nice guitar work. As I’ve mentioned numerous times before, I saw him solo at a little charity gig in 2005 (no Matt or other normal backline guys), and he was doing he lead guitar parts on stuff like “409” and “Fun Fun Fun.” As others have mentioned, since at least the 90’s he has seemed to enjoy doing the little guitar riffs during “Sail on Sailor.”

Let us not forget as well that he did some solid bass work on some early BB tracks as well.

I think most of these guys including Al have a lot of music sort of built in; they were born with some innate musicality. So I liken it a bit to what Eric Clapton said one time about George Harrison in an interview. I’m very much paraphrasing, but Clapton essentially said that Harrison could have been a more epic guitar player on the order of some of the flashy guitar players of the day, but he chose not to because he was into other stuff. I think that’s true a bit about Al. Not that he could (or would, or would want to) be a “shredder” or anything. But he’s a better musician than he  usually gets to display, and probably could be even better if not for the fact that he, like the other guys, have always placed vocals first.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »

I’ve talked about this before in past threads. Al has rarely been able to demonstrate on stage over the years much elaborate guitar playing. He would probably be the first to admit he never a big lead player, especially doing improvisational stuff (e.g. that awesome train wreck “American Bandstand” jam).

But he’s a solid player, and much better than he has usually displayed on stage over the years at BB concerts, especially by the 80’s and 90’s when the shows were often rather rote. But I’ve seen him live on his own doing some nice guitar work. As I’ve mentioned numerous times before, I saw him solo at a little charity gig in 2005 (no Matt or other normal backline guys), and he was doing he lead guitar parts on stuff like “409” and “Fun Fun Fun.” As others have mentioned, since at least the 90’s he has seemed to enjoy doing the little guitar riffs during “Sail on Sailor.”

Let us not forget as well that he did some solid bass work on some early BB tracks as well.

I think most of these guys including Al have a lot of music sort of built in; they were born with some innate musicality. So I liken it a bit to what Eric Clapton said one time about George Harrison in an interview. I’m very much paraphrasing, but Clapton essentially said that Harrison could have been a more epic guitar player on the order of some of the flashy guitar players of the day, but he chose not to because he was into other stuff. I think that’s true a bit about Al. Not that he could (or would, or would want to) be a “shredder” or anything. But he’s a better musician than he  usually gets to display, and probably could be even better if not for the fact that he, like the other guys, have always placed vocals first.

I'd love to hear Al playing through some boutique guitar effects pedals like Death By Audio's Supersonic Fuzz Gun and Echo Dream Delay. He needs to get his dreamy fuzz on Smiley

What guitar effects pedals have Al, Carl, and Dave used over the years? And during what eras?
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »

Al can play guitar. That's a known fact, I suppose. He is a solid rhythm player, I'll give him that.
But I can think of multiple instances since the 80's where his guitar has been inaudible on stage. I remember him saying he did this because he was such a "perfectionist".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »

Not going into the discussion (although it is a very interesting topic), just advising you to listen to the '66 live medley on "Endless harmony" during Surfin' USA's solo. You hear almost only Al's guitar as Carl's was almost inaudible (and from other performances it seems that Carl's guitar never was that loud on stage).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »

Does Al play the guitar on the acoustic solo version of California?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx