gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 10:47:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Credits on POB  (Read 3191 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »

Are the instrumental credits given to Dennis on POB true?
Did he really play lap steel guitar and tuba?
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:50:51 PM »

I suspect someone more knowledgeable than me will answer this more specifically, but I do recall that there was a specific story about Dennis playing the Tuba, as well as a general opinion from someone involved in the sessions - I can't remember who, maybe Earle Mankey? - that he could pick up just about any instrument and get some kind of interesting sound out of it, even if he was no expert. And that he played the bass harmonica himself but had to sit down on the floor to get enough air in his lungs! The impression I've gotten is that Dennis was not at all selfish with his production style - that he would gladly throw a part to anyone who happened to be around if he thought they could play something good, whether or not they were a pro or an expert, or he'd just do it himself if that was easier. I take it as being similar in spirit to Brian's openness to the contributions of session musicians, combined with a penchant to be very, very specific and demanding when he knew what he wanted.

Edit: just remembered my source: it was Craig Slowinski's riveting and comprehensive sessionography of Pacific Ocean Blue which I believe is available on the internet with some googling! It will answer all of your questions.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:55:36 PM by BJL » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »

I don't think Dennis was the type to make up his credits.  More than likely he would probably not be shy in giving others the credit (You Are So Beautiful springs to mind).  It was about the music with him, not the royalties.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:45:25 AM »

Hmmm, Dennis is only credited with Keyboards and Drums on the official release of POB...but it's been confirmed by various sources that he did way more.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »

Edit: just remembered my source: it was Craig Slowinski's riveting and comprehensive sessionography of Pacific Ocean Blue which I believe is available on the internet with some googling! It will answer all of your questions.

Expect an update to the POB sessionography, with a few corrections, soon.
www.beachboysarchives.com

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 11:42:20 PM »

Sounds great! But will it be before or after the MiC credits?  Wink

Really looking forward to both!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:40:38 AM »

And that he played the bass harmonica himself but had to sit down on the floor to get enough air in his lungs!

... and stunned all present by saying offhandedly "This is how Charlie used to play it".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34:16 AM »

And that he played the bass harmonica himself but had to sit down on the floor to get enough air in his lungs!

... and stunned all present by saying offhandedly "This is how Charlie used to play it".

...Morgan, I assume...
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 06:36:27 AM »

I suspect someone more knowledgeable than me will answer this more specifically, but I do recall that there was a specific story about Dennis playing the Tuba, as well as a general opinion from someone involved in the sessions - I can't remember who, maybe Earle Mankey? - that he could pick up just about any instrument and get some kind of interesting sound out of it, even if he was no expert.

Ed Roach once described Dennis' skills (all the Wilsons, in fact) in pretty much exactly the same way to me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 06:58:28 AM »

...Morgan, I assume...

Close. Began with M...  You mean Tommy Morgan ? Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »

Well, maybe Dennis made the same mistake I did.  Let's hope.
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 05:38:55 PM »

SO I was reading the POB credits again (for about the 10th times, although it has been several years, and Van Morrison's name popped up as being a friend of Dennis.  Forgive the ignorance, but that's THE Van Morrison, right?  How cool would that have been if he had sang backup on a song.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 07:34:24 AM »

SO I was reading the POB credits again (for about the 10th times, although it has been several years, and Van Morrison's name popped up as being a friend of Dennis.  Forgive the ignorance, but that's THE Van Morrison, right?  How cool would that have been if he had sang backup on a song.

By "reading the credits", I assume you mean the liner notes to the 2008 Legacy edition, as there's no mention of Van Morrison in the actual album credits?

Same with NateRuvin, as Dennis is not credited with tuba or lap steel in the actual album credits...

Or are you guys getting this from my POB essay at www.beachboysarchives.com ? (which, if you are, is totally cool!)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx