gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:49:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate No Pier Pressure
5 - 17 (32.7%)
4 - 17 (32.7%)
3 - 9 (17.3%)
2 - 5 (9.6%)
1 - 3 (5.8%)
0 - 1 (1.9%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure  (Read 52655 times)
KDS
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2017, 12:16:33 PM »

This is good album but "In the Back of My Mind" 1975 is nadir of the bonus tracks. What're they thinking including it? I'd rather listen to 1965 version.

I'll agree in that I don't care for this version at all.  But, I'm OK with it's inclusion as a bonus track, since it's not technically part of the album proper. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2017, 01:08:30 PM »

This is good album but "In the Back of My Mind" 1975 is nadir of the bonus tracks. What're they thinking including it? I'd rather listen to 1965 version.

I'm backwards...I like this version a whole lot, but never have cared for the original as Dennis's vocals don't fit the song or the production IMHO.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »

I'm more backwards: I don't like either version!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »

I'm more backwards: I don't like either version!

Do you like the backing track for this song? I really think it's one of Brian's greatest moments. Though I don't mind Dennis' voice I wouldn't have complained had they left it an instrumental!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »

I do think it's a well done track. But I'm not a huge fan of the melody itself, and far less so of the vocal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shitting on it. Just never liked it, myself. And then the demo!...and I like it even less. Hmpf. Woe is me.  Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »

I do think it's a well done track. But I'm not a huge fan of the melody itself, and far less so of the vocal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shitting on it. Just never liked it, myself. And then the demo!...and I like it even less. Hmpf. Woe is me.  Grin

No I totally understand, the track has certainly grown on me since I first heard it...there was a time when I was in disbelief that Brian used Dennis to sing it...what I would give to hear a version with '65 Brian singing on it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2017, 06:02:25 AM »

No I totally understand, the track has certainly grown on me since I first heard it...there was a time when I was in disbelief that Brian used Dennis to sing it...what I would give to hear a version with '65 Brian singing on it!

I'd say Dennis's interpretation is a much better step to "Bull Session" than Brian's would have been.

Brian's heart-breaking vocals on "She Knows Me Too Well" would have been hard for him to follow anyway.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »

For me, Brian's 1975 voice fits the song much much better than Dennis's voice or 1965 Brian. Plus I've always been a sucker for transitional-voice Brian.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »

I don't mind '75 Brian's voice at all. It's just the song itself (and the performance, to some extent). I get why people who like the tune would enjoy it, and obviously as a rarity/curiosity it's fun to hear. But just not for me.

On the main topic, though: I still like NPP more than a lot of people seem to (including several of the special-guest tracks). Good, but not great, record. Best of all: no theme. (OK, that's not what's best, but for me it was a welcome relief to have "just" an album of songs. That is what Brian has been best at his whole life: writing pop songs.)

KDS
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2017, 01:21:48 PM »

For me, Brian's 1975 voice fits the song much much better than Dennis's voice or 1965 Brian. Plus I've always been a sucker for transitional-voice Brian.

I don't even think that's one of the better examples of transitional Brian. 

For example, I think he sounds worlds better on Winter Symphony.
KDS
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »

I don't mind '75 Brian's voice at all. It's just the song itself (and the performance, to some extent). I get why people who like the tune would enjoy it, and obviously as a rarity/curiosity it's fun to hear. But just not for me.

On the main topic, though: I still like NPP more than a lot of people seem to (including several of the special-guest tracks). Good, but not great, record. Best of all: no theme. (OK, that's not what's best, but for me it was a welcome relief to have "just" an album of songs. That is what Brian has been best at his whole life: writing pop songs.)

I'm all for an album that's just a collection of songs.  But I think a couple of the guest star songs sort of break up the flow of the album, most notably Runaway Dancer and Guess You Had to Be There.

But, I do really like On the Island, Half Moon Bay, and Saturday Night.  And I think I'm one of the few fans of Our Special Love.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2017, 02:01:21 PM »

I don't even think that's one of the better examples of transitional Brian. 

For example, I think he sounds worlds better on Winter Symphony.
When I say "transitional period" I'm referring to the 1974-1975 period (although he sounded like his 1976 self on So Tough, it appears that was intentional). 1975 ITBOMM was basically the last of "old" Brian.

And yeah, Winter Symphony was indeed better, and along with his vocals on MIU (except the opener *shudder*) were the first "real" vocals we'd heard from him in some years.  15 Big Ones and Love You were....different. According to his book Brian had laryngitis during the 15 BO sessions. Chainsmoking like he did certainly didn't make that heal better, and going from not singing much at all to touring for the first time in forever didn't give him much time to rest. Didn't help that he was by his own admission intentionally trying to sound different. In 1977, though, he was singing normally, and his voice sounds much more natural. Of course, his voice had changed...combination of lifestyle, aging, and muscle memory would do that to you.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »

I'm all for an album that's just a collection of songs.  But I think a couple of the guest star songs sort of break up the flow of the album, most notably Runaway Dancer and Guess You Had to Be There.

But, I do really like On the Island, Half Moon Bay, and Saturday Night.  And I think I'm one of the few fans of Our Special Love.

I love Our Special Love. Brian *nailed* that one when I saw him in June 2015.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2017, 02:10:41 PM »

Wait, what? He did OSL live? Or am I misunderstanding? I must be misunderstanding.

I still think it's really, really cheesy. It's not terrible, but I really hated the Peter Hollens lead bits. I'd have rather heard the original version that Thomas discussed in some interview or other. And I just can't get over that part that is identical to the "Spring Vacation" part. Maybe because I don't like that song, either.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2017, 02:15:43 PM »

Cap, you still jamming to "guess you had to be there"? Afro.   Kacey is the savior against bro-county!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2017, 02:19:34 PM »

I don't love the song, but I think it's good. Fun. Kinda dumb. Pretty bad lyrics--I HATE the forced nostalgia sh*t, whether written by Brian himself, or more often seemingly by Bennett, Thomas, or Musgraves.--especially for such a great lyricist as Musgraves is. But yeah, it's fine with me. And I do like the way that they they managed to do something so interesting with only four chords repeating the whole damn time. I end up singing the backgrounds every goshdarn time.

It's Saturday Night that really gets me. That should have been an uber-hit (in like 1983). That's pure pop glory. The number of times I've heard the guys' voices on that one... Al on the verses, Carl on the chorus, Dennis on Brian's bridge part...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »

It sure beats that upcoming Florida Georgia Line with the Backstreet Boys tour.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »

Wait, what? He did OSL live? Or am I misunderstanding? I must be misunderstanding.

I still think it's really, really cheesy. It's not terrible, but I really hated the Peter Hollens lead bits. I'd have rather heard the original version that Thomas discussed in some interview or other. And I just can't get over that part that is identical to the "Spring Vacation" part. Maybe because I don't like that song, either.

Oh sh*t...I was thinking One Kind of Love. I'll go curl up in a ball for a few hours now lol.

Seriously though, Our Special Love is in my top 5 on the album, and my daughter's favorite

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:25:06 PM by ♩♬☮ Bugs The Bunny ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »

SB - lol, and yes. (Though Musgraves toured with K Perry a few years ago. That said, shitty pop beats bro country and boy bands in my book.)

Billy - I figured there was some confusion there. Then again, I'm the guy who once either here or at Record Room went on for about half a dozen posts FURIOUSLY insisting that Zeppelin was the best American rock band ever... until realizing what a full-on, suddenly brainless idiot I was! I would have loved to hear One Kind of Love live. All I ever got was Sail Away, in the PS tour last October. Which was great, mind you, but not the same. (For that matter, I only ever heard Summer's Gone from TLOS, on the BW-Jardine-Marks tour. So for new material from the past half-decade, I've had a rough go of it. And Summer's Gone isn't even in my top few songs from those years!)

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »

Maybe M&B could tour with FGL next to get a good Filleplage rant out of the thing. On topic, I was lucky to see BW do surf's up in 2015!!!!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

SB - lol, and yes. (Though Musgraves toured with K Perry a few years ago. That said, shitty pop beats bro country and boy bands in my book.)

Billy - I figured there was some confusion there. Then again, I'm the guy who once either here or at Record Room went on for about half a dozen posts FURIOUSLY insisting that Zeppelin was the best American rock band ever... until realizing what a full-on, suddenly brainless idiot I was! I would have loved to hear One Kind of Love live. All I ever got was Sail Away, in the PS tour last October. Which was great, mind you, but not the same. (For that matter, I only ever heard Summer's Gone from TLOS, on the BW-Jardine-Marks tour. So for new material from the past half-decade, I've had a rough go of it. And Summer's Gone isn't even in my top few songs from those years!)

You just had one of my moments... Summer's Gone wasn't on TLOS, it was on the reunion album! :D

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »

No, I did know that! I just mentioned it to say that it was a modern track from an album I wanted to hear more from, but never did. The C50 tour did a few others but nothing but Summer's Gone, which I don't really like.

But THAT was one of your moments: because on further reflection, they did TLOS at that same show! (Also, it sounded like sh*t.) I would have loved to hear Isn't It Time (which I think is a fucking GREAT song) or either of the other two trilogy songs at the end. Alas.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »

The full life-suite needs to be released, quite the teaser with those songs already released.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »

Don't fall into the Cult of the Unreleased, now...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx