gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:53:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate No Pier Pressure
5 - 17 (32.7%)
4 - 17 (32.7%)
3 - 9 (17.3%)
2 - 5 (9.6%)
1 - 3 (5.8%)
0 - 1 (1.9%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure  (Read 52659 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »

I was just genuinely curious as to what people were attracted to about this album, that's the reason I commented on this thread.

You were genuinely curious as to what people were attracted to about this album, which is why you posted here? Dude, you came here stating flat out:

I cannot believe NPP has this many fives. Percentage wise, this album has a higher favorability rating on this site than Surf's Up. I assume my review on PopMatters didn't go over too well...

And that's all you posted initially. Not once in your post did you express any curiosity - you just rudely stated that you can't believe this album has this many 5 star ratings. Then you berated me for liking this album. But given your posts above, I can understand that it would be confusing for you to comprehend why Brian Wilson fans on a Brian Wilson sub-forum would like a Brian Wilson album.

But as a reviewer, I have to go by the credits given on the record

Apparently only when it conveniences your completely flawed perception of reality. Brian Wilson is listed as being a co-writer of these songs yet according to you:

This is where discussing the album’s tracks as if they were actually Wilson’s becomes completely pointless. This may have his elderly vocals on it, but this is his album in name only.

So when can we go by the credits in the liner notes? Jeesh, maybe you should preface your reviews with guidelines for readers so they don't get confused as f*** trying to comprehend your incredibly flawed logic.

But it doesn't change how I feel about the record, because if Brian was really behind all of that autotune, the beats on Runaway Dancer and all the collaborations, then I think it was a very, very poor decision on his part. I would score it the exact same way. But obviously, we will have to agree to disagree on the quality of the music, as you can with any review.

THAT is a good review. It's isn't full of conjecture from your mystical alternate reality where Zooey Deschanel never met Brian Wilson prior to NPP and where Joe Thomas has writing credits on all the NPP songs.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:04:09 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
caseyhardmeyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2015, 05:16:26 PM »

...you should well know that album credits are rarely if ever accurate for various reasons.

Absolutely, categorically, 100 percent false.  You are living in the '60s man, people don't cut deals like that anymore (except Brian Wilson, I guess). In 2015 (the year of our lord) most album credits are 99.99 percent accurate. After decades of turmoil in the music industry it has become of the utmost legal importance that each musician and participant is credited correctly. Do you think Beyonce likes having to list all 15 producers, and 60 plus writers on her albums? Of course not, it makes her look silly, but you can't get away with not doing that in this day and age. Been that way for years. Sounds like you're working with really dishonest people.

What an absurd thing to say.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:17:46 PM by caseyhardmeyer » Logged
caseyhardmeyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »

THAT is a good review. It's isn't full of conjecture from your mystical alternate reality where Zooey Deschanel never met Brian Wilson prior to NPP and where Joe Thomas has writing credits on all the NPP songs.

Oh my god you have posted the Zooey Deschanel thing like 8 times now. Jesus christ, enough! The album is a 10/10 and I'm gonna go buy the She & Him discography now, off to the record store! You win!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »

Are you related to Mike Love by any chance, your talking points sound like stuff he says about BW.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »

Oh my god you have posted the Zooey Deschanel thing like 8 times now. Jesus christ, enough! The album is a 10/10 and I'm gonna go buy the She & Him discography now, off to the record store! You win!

I couldn't care less if you like the album. Plenty of posters here disliked the album, difference between you and them is that their reviews weren't full of false information. Enjoy the She and Him albums, tell me how they are. On second thought, I'll read the album reviews from people who can professionally write them.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »

...you should well know that album credits are rarely if ever accurate for various reasons.

Absolutely, categorically, 100 percent false.  You are living in the '60s man, people don't cut deals like that anymore (except Brian Wilson, I guess). In 2015 (the year of our lord) most album credits are 99.99 percent accurate. After decades of turmoil in the music industry it has become of the utmost legal importance that each musician and participant is credited correctly. Do you think Beyonce likes having to list all 15 producers, and 60 plus writers on her albums? Of course not, it makes her look silly, but you can't get away with not doing that in this day and age. Been that way for years. Sounds like you're working with really dishonest people.

Living in the 60s? LOL I was born in 1978, pal. And for a supposed writer, you are seriously stretching what is left of your credibility.  By trying to prove me wrong, you're actually proving me right! These days, a guy can fart in the general direction of the studio and be given credit. And sh*t, you named Beyonce, who has been accused of using a ghost-writer for her songs, at the very least. One good example was with the song 'If I was a boy' and the controversy when it came out that BC Jean actually wrote the song.

Research is vital.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
caseyhardmeyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »

Absolutely, categorically, 100 percent false.  You are living in the '60s man, people don't cut deals like that anymore (except Brian Wilson, I guess). In 2015 (the year of our lord) most album credits are 99.99 percent accurate. After decades of turmoil in the music industry it has become of the utmost legal importance that each musician and participant is credited correctly. Do you think Beyonce likes having to list all 15 producers, and 60 plus writers on her albums? Of course not, it makes her look silly, but you can't get away with not doing that in this day and age. Been that way for years. Sounds like you're working with really dishonest people.

Living in the 60s? LOL I was born in 1978, pal. And for a supposed writer, you are seriously stretching what is left of your credibility.  By trying to prove me wrong, you're actually proving me right! These days, a guy can fart in the general direction of the studio and be given credit. And sh*t, you named Beyonce, who has been accused of using a ghost-writer for her songs, at the very least. One good example was with the song 'If I was a boy' and the controversy when it came out that BC Jean actually wrote the song.

Research is vital.

This is why you write in forums, and I write in newspapers and magazines. Good luck to ya.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »

Research is vital.

This is why you write in forums, and I write in newspapers and magazines. Good luck to ya.

No, I moderate on this forum in my spare time (between my real job and my own music career) because I have been a fan of Brian and the rest of the Beach Boys for the past 20 years. Hope you enjoyed that post, as it is your last here. Go back to living in your parents' basement and writing throwaway reviews that nobody takes seriously without doing research because it requires too much work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:21:00 PM by ♩♬ GoTime ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2015, 06:52:37 PM »

It's Go Time.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2015, 06:56:50 PM »

In this photo, you'll notice that is actually Joe Thomas wearing an M. Ward mask.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2015, 07:07:47 PM »

Actually it's Brian in the middle, joe Thomas on the right, and Rod Stewart as M. Ward.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »

And Dr. Who is taking the photo.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »

I'm the recording console.  Helps to be made of liquid metal like a T-1000.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2015, 03:51:58 AM »

Billy is the Terminator! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »

That was an interesting exchange of ideas. 

Any way, I know the Grammys are a joke, but I wonder if anything from NPP will get nominated. 

Usually, the Grammys will give a mod to a legacy artist who puts out something (sometimes they can even get nominated for new live versions of 40 year old songs). 

That being said, I think it would be nice for Brian to pick up a Grammy for something from his solo career where he actually sings lead. 

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »

It would be nice but to give it to NPP would just be an insult. Besides, I don't know why people even bother with what I call "pity Grammys" anymore. "Well, Steely Dan got one," they say. Yeah, for their WORST album. Not a bad album mind you, but compared to what came before it's clearly inferior.

Of course, I hold the Grammys in the same regard as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - burn them to the ground. Farcical beyond words.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2015, 05:30:27 AM »

It would be nice but to give it to NPP would just be an insult. Besides, I don't know why people even bother with what I call "pity Grammys" anymore. "Well, Steely Dan got one," they say. Yeah, for their WORST album. Not a bad album mind you, but compared to what came before it's clearly inferior.

Of course, I hold the Grammys in the same regard as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - burn them to the ground. Farcical beyond words.

Are you saying that Judas Priest didn't deserve their 2010 Grammy for a live version of an album track from 1977?  Smiley

I'm with you on the Grammys and RNRHOF. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »

I've discovered what my problem was with the Deluxe NPP----"The Last Song" (all those lalala's) and the two bonus tracks. One listen to Brian's "ITBOMM" is quite enough and the definitive "Love And Mercy" is on Brian Wilson. So I call it a day after "Saturday Night" and it's a great listen all the way.  4/5

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2015, 06:09:44 AM »

I've discovered what my problem was with the Deluxe NPP----"The Last Song" (all those lalala's) and the two bonus tracks. One listen to Brian's "ITBOMM" is quite enough and the definitive "Love And Mercy" is on Brian Wilson. So I call it a day after "Saturday Night" and it's a great listen all the way.  4/5

I have the super deluxe US Target Inc version of NPP also.

I really don't consider ITBOMM or L&M a part of the album.  I'm kinda hot and cold on The Last Song.  The first couple times I heard it, I really liked it. 
KDS
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2015, 06:21:19 AM »

Somewhat predictably, there were no Grammy nominations for No Pier Pressure.  I thought it might get at least one nomination, but the Grammy voters are even more clueless then the RNRHOF. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2015, 01:49:09 AM »

Somewhat predictably, there were no Grammy nominations for No Pier Pressure.  I thought it might get at least one nomination, but the Grammy voters are even more clueless then the RNRHOF. 

The words "circus", "big" and "one" come to mind, not necessarily in that order. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »

An album full of songs that don't really go anywhere. His worst solo album in my opinion.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2016, 03:08:10 AM »

I listen to No Pier Pressure, the deluxe version, on a regular basis. It's a great summer album and, like TWGMTR, one I feel I can play in any company.

With one proviso----I make "Saturday Night" the final track. No "The Last Song" (all that la-la-la'ing), no solo "ITBOMM" and no alternative "Love And Mercy".

I often have it playing while organizing the evening meal...           

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »

These being the last days before the beginning of spring, I've dedusted NPP and actually rediscovered this album.

Such a breath of fresh air.

I guess late/mid-March is "The Right Time" to have do this. Cool Who's with me?
KDS
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »

These being the last days before the beginning of spring, I've dedusted NPP and actually rediscovered this album.

Such a breath of fresh air.

I guess late/mid-March is "The Right Time" to have do this. Cool Who's with me?

I recently rewatched the BW & Friends DVD (I got the CD/DVD combo for Christmas), and I'd almost forgotten how much I like Half Moon Bay and Saturday Night.  I wound up listening to the album soon after. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx