gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:16:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate No Pier Pressure
5 - 17 (32.7%)
4 - 17 (32.7%)
3 - 9 (17.3%)
2 - 5 (9.6%)
1 - 3 (5.8%)
0 - 1 (1.9%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure  (Read 52815 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »

Country love excluded. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2017, 04:37:42 PM »

Some legends are warranted.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »

What is the most famous unreleased album now?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Scaroline No
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »

Don't fall into the Cult of the Unreleased, now...

I'm going to name my Unreleased BB/BW playlist The Cult of Unreleased now, thanks  Cool Guy

As for NPP, I'm still digesting it. I was finding it hard in it's pure format so I've separated the album into two parts... the newbs and the un-newbs. Once I've come to accept both equally I will put them both back together and hopefully appreciate it all the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Incidentally, the un-newbs are getting more listens, though I do enjoy Nate Ruess' and She and Him's contributions on the newbs mix.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:43:03 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »

Good question. I remember when there was a Hendrix album, the '69 VU album, Smile, Prince's Black Album, etc. But most of such things have been released as demand for rarities went nuts in these past few decades. Of things that actually exist, I don't know what's left.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2017, 05:13:05 AM »

SB - lol, and yes. (Though Musgraves toured with K Perry a few years ago. That said, shitty pop beats bro country and boy bands in my book.)

That's like asking if you want to be shot, stabbed, or eaten by a shark. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2017, 05:27:50 AM »

Good question. I remember when there was a Hendrix album, the '69 VU album, Smile, Prince's Black Album, etc. But most of such things have been released as demand for rarities went nuts in these past few decades. Of things that actually exist, I don't know what's left.

One's tempted to say Adult/Child...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2017, 05:43:24 AM »

SB - lol, and yes. (Though Musgraves toured with K Perry a few years ago. That said, shitty pop beats bro country and boy bands in my book.)

That sounds like something I might actually end up discussing with my idiot friends [he says lovingly] over too many beers.  Grin

KDS
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2017, 07:43:09 AM »

That sounds like something I might actually end up discussing with my idiot friends [he says lovingly] over too many beers.  Grin

After a few beers, it might be easier for me to chose getting shot, stabbed, or eaten by a shark than choosing between bro country, disposable pop, or boy bands.  

Beer

Getting back on track, Kasey Musgraves, to me, if kind of the female equivalent of bro country (ho country?Huh  no, that's mean), so that's why I don't care for Guess You Had to Be There. 

Oddly enough, other than the dance beat, I kinda liked that Safe and Sound sound by Sebu from 2013.  Without the dance beat, I'd probably like Runaway Dancer better. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:45:38 AM by KDS » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »

Lol

KDS
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »

To posts below - pass boring beer talk to Sandbox. We discuss music here.

KDS, what's your favorite bonus track? To me, "Don't Worry".

It's not really beer talk, just a minor aside. 

My favorite bonus track is probably I'm Feeling Sad, but I really like Don't Worry, as it reminds me of mid 80s Phil Collins.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »

To posts below - pass boring beer talk to Sandbox. We discuss music here.

What's the magic word?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »

No Cap Pressure.

KDS
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:11 AM »

No Cap Pressure.

No Beer Pressue
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2017, 10:24:37 AM »

Yo past two posts, take your boring jokes to Sandbox. We discuss music here.

wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »

cap. you can't 'let little items bother you. Have a nice Irish Day! Stay thirsty my friend!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »

Let me assure you nothing on a message board will ever bother me.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »

"Right" on Cap! Wink

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »

One's tempted to say Adult/Child...

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »

The only thing is, most (all?) of its contents are out there. Is there such a thing as a mysterious unreleased album anymore?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2017, 04:48:06 PM »

I don't think so.

I also think such a phenomenon is a relic from a now-over era, and that just depressed the living sh*t out of me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2017, 05:17:17 PM »

Welcome to middle age. We're only the x-thousandth batch of guys to be hit by passing time.  Undecided

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »

Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2017, 02:02:16 PM »

Getting back on track, Kasey Musgraves, to me, if kind of the female equivalent of bro country (ho country?Huh  no, that's mean), so that's why I don't care for Guess You Had to Be There. 

I missed this earlier. I disagree completely. I think she's probably one of the best 3-5 artists in pop (broad sense, so rock, country, pop, hip hop, etc.) music right now. There is a kind of classic country to her, especially of the slick countrypolitan vibe, with some really clever lyric writing and pop sensibilities. To me, "bro country" is a combination of hair metal and country. It's all slickly produced, heavy kick drum, distorted guitars, big shoutalong choruses, but all dolled up in cowboy hats and jeans as they sing about painfully stereotypical "country: topics: trucks, hometowns, beer, good ol' buddies. Musgraves sings about those things in the same way Sherwood Anderson, Willa Cather, or Sinclair Lewis wrote about them, which is to say with clever satire. And yeah, I guess I said clever a couple of times. That's the word I return to with her.

As for "ho," I dunno ... I say this with no disrespect whatsoever, but it seems to me you're pretty quick to dismiss female musicians for being slutty even while championing male rock/metal that is pretty painfully sexist. I've noticed it as a recurring point among your criticism of modern pop. I wouldn't say Musgraves is especially lascivious. Tediously heavy on the weed references but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of sex.

KDS
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »

I missed this earlier. I disagree completely. I think she's probably one of the best 3-5 artists in pop (broad sense, so rock, country, pop, hip hop, etc.) music right now. There is a kind of classic country to her, especially of the slick countrypolitan vibe, with some really clever lyric writing and pop sensibilities. To me, "bro country" is a combination of hair metal and country. It's all slickly produced, heavy kick drum, distorted guitars, big shoutalong choruses, but all dolled up in cowboy hats and jeans as they sing about painfully stereotypical "country: topics: trucks, hometowns, beer, good ol' buddies. Musgraves sings about those things in the same way Sherwood Anderson, Willa Cather, or Sinclair Lewis wrote about them, which is to say with clever satire. And yeah, I guess I said clever a couple of times. That's the word I return to with her.

As for "ho," I dunno ... I say this with no disrespect whatsoever, but it seems to me you're pretty quick to dismiss female musicians for being slutty even while championing male rock/metal that is pretty painfully sexist. I've noticed it as a recurring point among your criticism of modern pop. I wouldn't say Musgraves is especially lascivious. Tediously heavy on the weed references but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of sex.

I think you're reading a little too much in my rhyming bro and ho.  I dont think Musgraves flaunts her sexuality. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx