gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:45:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Brian Wilson Band  (Read 10786 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »

Bring back Taylor Mills!

Totally agree, Don. I miss the eye candy and the good female voice too!  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 08:08:41 PM »

When I was at the Smile show at Massey Hall in Toronto...was it October '04?...I lucked into front row centre seats.  [yes that's how *WE* spell centre in Canada.]  My wife Lucy and I took some authentic looking oversized  "Vege-Tables" with us which we passed out to folks sitting on either side of us and at the exact and appropriate moment we collectively held them skyward so that we could show 'them' our favourite "Vege-Tables".

Taylor spotted it immediately and nudged Probyn and Jeff and Nelson who all laughed and enjoyed the interaction.  OK...it wasn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show but it was Smile and she was into it just like we all were.  Taylor was part of history and a VERY emotional experience [as was Jeff] and I find it hard not to keep them front and centre...and top of mind.

Of the 100s of concerts I've ever attended...Smile...first time through...was the epitome of...the epitome.  [and Brian was tentitive?]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 09:46:38 PM »

Since there will be a new Brian Wilson tour in a few short weeks I wanted to say a few words about something I don't think enough time is spent on here ; and I am as guilty as hell as well for not saying more sooner , so to start off with I admit I am prejudiced. I wanted to talk about how great the BW Band really is and how much they add to the concert experience. These guys execute some of the most technically difficult pop music ever created, flawlessly ; with great energy. Each of them brings something excellent to the table.If I could share an experience from a few years ago, Brian and band were playing a benefit at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank , N.J. I was watching in the wings and there was a guy sitting in a folding chair stage right, intensely studying every player individually with great focus ; took me about a half hour to figure out it was Bruce Springsteen. After the concert , he said that " these are American classics, and this band does them justice". Amen.

Musical Director Paul Von Mertens arranges the strings for when there are string players ( SMiLE, Gershwin, TLOS), writes out the charts , plays flute, sax, harmonica's, organ, mandolin ; more instruments than the average band even has. Bob Lizik plays the bass lines exactly as Brian wrote them. The keyboard/vibe section is shared by Scott Bennett and Darian Sahanaja; switching seamlessly back and forth; Scott switching to guitar for " Marcella" . Nicky plays all sorts of eclectic stuff on guitar over in the corner; his guitar playing of the cello parts on "Good Vibrations" sounds like a locomotive ; kills me every time. Probyn plays guitar, trumpet, French horn and theremin; Matt Jardine plays acoustic guitar. The drums are superbly manned by Mike D'Amico; who also can play guitar and bass ; percussion is carried off by Nelson Bragg . Scott, Darian , Nicky, Probyn, Matt, Paul and Nelson all add their stellar vocals, singing those incredibly intricate harmonies creating a superb vocal stack. You will love hearing Matt singing the high parts; he sounds incredible .  My review ? This band kicks ass.

Add Brian Wilson , Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin to the mix and this is going to be an all time tour event. Don't miss it .

Ray...........great post.  It takes me back to my first small venue BW concert in 2011 in St. Charles, Illinois.  The band was "founded" there in 98-ish and the vibe that night in this old vaudeville theatre was electric.  I was lucky to score 2nd row seats and will never forget Our Prayer as the opening song.  The acoustics were unbelievable.  Debating now whether to do the meet and greet in Seattle "the final US stop" on the tour Jul 12th.  You never know if this is the last tour....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:31 PM »

Not only are they the best touring band there is (for once, I'll agree with Macca), they're also wonderful people who appreciate us fans.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 11:14:55 PM »

On those rare occasions when I've met them, they've parted with the fans, as fans. Obliging, fun and good to be with. They just happen to be talented too.

“We live in divisive times.”
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 01:41:03 AM »

Imo, the band goes for the studio sound, but if they tried some different arrangements I would certainly approve. Just recall how the Beach Boys kicked ass in the 70s! I´m aware Brian isn´t capable of doing stuff like that, but somethign different would be a big plus.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 01:49:35 AM »

The couple of times i've spoken with the band members after a show, they have all been kind and generous and appreciative.

I don't think Brian would have toured so often if the band hadn't been so excellent behind him. We, as fans, owe a lot of Brian's late career rebirth to his backing band. Not just as musicians on the records, but for helping to hold the whole thing together.

Cheers guys!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 06:28:41 AM »

Thanks for that Ray! I'll be seeing him in Philly this summer, very much looking forward to going!
I'll be in the audience as well. The Mann is a superb venue. Last time he was there I was fortunate enough to spend some quality time with Brian including sitting next to him while he did an interview on his cell phone.

This is a story that begs to be told. Do tell!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 06:37:27 AM »

Thanks for that Ray! I'll be seeing him in Philly this summer, very much looking forward to going!
I'll be in the audience as well. The Mann is a superb venue. Last time he was there I was fortunate enough to spend some quality time with Brian including sitting next to him while he did an interview on his cell phone.

This is a story that begs to be told. Do tell!

"...yes....no....no...yes....Norbit....no...."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 08:11:03 AM »

Since there will be a new Brian Wilson tour in a few short weeks I wanted to say a few words about something I don't think enough time is spent on here ; and I am as guilty as hell as well for not saying more sooner , so to start off with I admit I am prejudiced. I wanted to talk about how great the BW Band really is and how much they add to the concert experience. These guys execute some of the most technically difficult pop music ever created, flawlessly ; with great energy. Each of them brings something excellent to the table.If I could share an experience from a few years ago, Brian and band were playing a benefit at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank , N.J. I was watching in the wings and there was a guy sitting in a folding chair stage right, intensely studying every player individually with great focus ; took me about a half hour to figure out it was Bruce Springsteen. After the concert , he said that " these are American classics, and this band does them justice". Amen.

Musical Director Paul Von Mertens arranges the strings for when there are string players ( SMiLE, Gershwin, TLOS), writes out the charts , plays flute, sax, harmonica's, organ, mandolin ; more instruments than the average band even has. Bob Lizik plays the bass lines exactly as Brian wrote them. The keyboard/vibe section is shared by Scott Bennett and Darian Sahanaja; switching seamlessly back and forth; Scott switching to guitar for " Marcella" . Nicky plays all sorts of eclectic stuff on guitar over in the corner; his guitar playing of the cello parts on "Good Vibrations" sounds like a locomotive ; kills me every time. Probyn plays guitar, trumpet, French horn and theremin; Matt Jardine plays acoustic guitar. The drums are superbly manned by Mike D'Amico; who also can play guitar and bass ; percussion is carried off by Nelson Bragg . Scott, Darian , Nicky, Probyn, Matt, Paul and Nelson all add their stellar vocals, singing those incredibly intricate harmonies creating a superb vocal stack. You will love hearing Matt singing the high parts; he sounds incredible .  My review ? This band kicks ass.

Add Brian Wilson , Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin to the mix and this is going to be an all time tour event. Don't miss it .

Great post Ray. Interesting that Springsteen studies the BW band. Bruce has always been a fan. Are you gonna make the Philly show?

Yes ; will be there. Shortly after that show Bruce put out a CD with two tracks that were obviously BW influenced ; I can't remember the titles , I have the CD here somewhere. See you in Philly
Your Own Worst Enemy, musically sounds very Pet Sounds influenced too. My favorite track on Magic.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16:24 AM »

Oh, we definitely need to meet OSD. I cannot pass up the chance of meeting you and maybe knocking down a few. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:49 AM »

Oh, we definitely need to meet OSD. I cannot pass up the chance of meeting you and maybe knocking down a few. Smiley

Looking forward to the meet up, Doc. It's about time, huh? I'll be the one in the skintight sequined shirt (with only one button) and pants, a generous portion of jewelry,  a hat with a huge feather, or a turban.   Grin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:36 AM »

I will see you there !

I'll be at the Philly show too for my first Brian Wilson solo concert.  Can't wait.  41 days.  

The worst is going to be resisting the temptation to look at the setlists that will be posted here and on the BW Forum.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:17:29 AM by KDS » Logged
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »

If you're doing a Philadelphia pre show meet up might I recommend a local bar called the Bishops Collar, great food great drinks and fair prices!

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »

Ray, thanks for sharing the story! I'm glad to hear that Bruce is still a fan of Brian and the Beach Boys. Now I know why I like Bruce's 'Girl's in their Summer Clothes' so much. Great summertime song and influenced by Brian?  I'd love to see Bruce guest on Brian's next album.

I hope the tour continues and adds more dates.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:00:36 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »

Quick sidebar re: Springsteen and his long appreciation of BB music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXckY2qzdUU
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 09:47:48 PM »

I don't know who wrote it but I'm reminded of a story during the C50 accusing 'The Beach Boys' of lip-syncing. It was only later I thought that we are so used to hearing how good Brians guys (plus now M&B's guys) were at recreating the music that a 'Johnny Come Lately' would be caught so unawares.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 06:04:42 AM »

Musical Director Paul Von Mertens arranges the strings for when there are string players ( SMiLE, Gershwin, TLOS), writes out the charts , plays flute, sax, harmonica's, organ, mandolin ; more instruments than the average band even has. Bob Lizik plays the bass lines exactly as Brian wrote them. The keyboard/vibe section is shared by Scott Bennett and Darian Sahanaja; switching seamlessly back and forth; Scott switching to guitar for " Marcella" . Nicky plays all sorts of eclectic stuff on guitar over in the corner; his guitar playing of the cello parts on "Good Vibrations" sounds like a locomotive ; kills me every time. Probyn plays guitar, trumpet, French horn and theremin; Matt Jardine plays acoustic guitar. The drums are superbly manned by Mike D'Amico; who also can play guitar and bass ; percussion is carried off by Nelson Bragg . Scott, Darian , Nicky, Probyn, Matt, Paul and Nelson all add their stellar vocals, singing those incredibly intricate harmonies creating a superb vocal stack. You will love hearing Matt singing the high parts; he sounds incredible .  My review ? This band kicks ass.

Count Basie in Red Bank is a great venue! As far as this band, you don't have to be prejudiced.  You just need the frame of reference you obviously have as a very informed, longtime, outstanding fan!

Brian's band are an extraordinary ensemble, even if they didn't play BW/BB music. And have taken on very specialized theme-based tasks, "live," such as Pet Sounds, SMiLE live, TLOS, Gershwin and the GH's! Their ability to replicate the studio work in the live context allows attendees to peer through the keyhole of the earlier BB eras, as well as the later solo Brian eras to see how complex the music is and how precise and intricate the arrangements are.  My absolute favorite is the percussion of Mr. Bragg.  Add the vocals, and it is "frosting on the cake!" I wish I could have seen Gershwin live.  

And of course these music giants observe and learn from Brian...they aren't dummies...Brian set the gold standard for our music...

Soon, I hope to see them, as well...and am looking forward to it... Wink

Thanks for this!  Beer
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:08:29 AM by filledeplage » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »

Fabulous band, great guys to a man and I can't wait to see them in Glasgow in September playing with a smile on their faces!  They seem to have a real camaraderie and love for Brian and his music.  They've also given us a large chunk of their own careers to enable Brian to tour and put on a great show. 

I think this tour will be a cracker, in what has been a big year for Brian with the film and the new album.  Exciting times for sure.

Ray, are you coming over to the UK with the tour? 
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »

I'll be seeing the band at The Fox in Detroit for the Second time.  I saw them in 2013 and it was Phenomenal.  Got closer seats and more people coming along this time.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »

I am jumping back to this thread because I saw the video of " Wake the World/Busy Doin' Nothing" from the Greek Theatre in LA, and to again remind everyone how great this band is. Recreating the exact sonic feel of the Friends LP , live , is incredible; something I thought I would never hear, just like every other project this band has tackled. Pet Sounds, SMiLE, TLOS. Gershwin. All of the complicated arrangements from 1962 to present , done live.  Each one of these guys is a brilliant musician; all can play multiple instruments, and are all great singers as well. And as someone said earlier on the thread , really all great guys on top of it all , who are kind and gracious to the fans. Best band I have personally ever seen , by a mile. Oh yeah , and you get to see Brian , Al and Blondie as well.  Go see them .

I guess I would rather talk about musically brilliant stuff than waste five minutes of my life reading and speculating  about some Twitter comments; a medium I will never comprehend !
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »

I am jumping back to this thread because I saw the video of " Wake the World/Busy Doin' Nothing" from the Greek Theatre in LA, and to again remind everyone how great this band is. Recreating the exact sonic feel of the Friends LP , live , is incredible; something I thought I would never hear, just like every other project this band has tackled. Pet Sounds, SMiLE, TLOS. Gershwin. All of the complicated arrangements from 1962 to present , done live.  Each one of these guys is a brilliant musician; all can play multiple instruments, and are all great singers as well. And as someone said earlier on the thread , really all great guys on top of it all , who are kind and gracious to the fans. Best band I have personally ever seen , by a mile. Oh yeah , and you get to see Brian , Al and Blondie as well.  Go see them .

I guess I would rather talk about musically brilliant stuff than waste five minutes of my life reading and speculating  about some Twitter comments; a medium I will never comprehend !
It really is amazing how they recreate those songs in a live environment. They are a terrific band, for sure! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »

I have a “full” review of the opening night coming up soon, but I have to reiterate what I mentioned in the tour thread: The band is *tight* on this tour, and Matt and Al really do lend a HUGE amount to the backing vocals as well. Matt, Al, and Brian were all very audible in the group harmonies. I really think Matt is the falsetto guy that was made for this band, and I don’t say this out of any sour grapes over the Foskett situation. I was saying all the way back in 1999/2000 that I wished Matt was able to do the falsetto parts in Brian’s band. It seemed such a far-fetched concept back then of course.

I have to say as well, it takes some balls to come out opening night and start with “Our Prayer”, which is one of the easiest songs to giveaway any instance where a band isn’t quite rehearsed enough, or if they’re still a bit rusty to start the tour. There was none of that. They also just nailed all of the instrumental pieces, and the immediately-dialed-in-mix (also a rarity sometimes at shows) and excellent acoustics in the outdoor venue was the icing on the cake.

Their performance of “Wake the World” was extra special; to hear the first-ever performance by Brian of a track is pretty cool. It was also extra noteworthy because, while I was happy with the setlist and VERY happy with the performances, “Wake the World” was the only total “surprise.” On top of all of that context, they did indeed faithfully replicate the “Friends” vibe in their performance, which was punctuated further by immediately segueing into “Busy Doin’ Nothin’”, which I enjoyed way more than I thought I would (it may be sacrilege, but the song has never been a super-duper favorite of mine). Watching Brian “conduct” the band on the fade-out was great fun.

Also VERY important is that everybody was “on” in terms of mood too. Al looked like he was getting a kick out of just listening to the band do “Runaway Dancer.” Brian was high-energy from the beginning, with a truly cheerful tone. All of the band seemed in a good mood with high energy.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 04:18:42 PM »

I'm getting more depressed they are not going to be coming to the UK after all.  Sad

I agree, they are fabulous and the videos from this tour are great. Brian is up for it and the band, as ever, are the best around!;D
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2015, 10:11:56 PM »

I bought my tickets to see them on July 9th. I can not wait.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx