gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 08:17:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Brian Wilson Band  (Read 10795 times)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »

Since there will be a new Brian Wilson tour in a few short weeks I wanted to say a few words about something I don't think enough time is spent on here ; and I am as guilty as hell as well for not saying more sooner , so to start off with I admit I am prejudiced. I wanted to talk about how great the BW Band really is and how much they add to the concert experience. These guys execute some of the most technically difficult pop music ever created, flawlessly ; with great energy. Each of them brings something excellent to the table.If I could share an experience from a few years ago, Brian and band were playing a benefit at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank , N.J. I was watching in the wings and there was a guy sitting in a folding chair stage right, intensely studying every player individually with great focus ; took me about a half hour to figure out it was Bruce Springsteen. After the concert , he said that " these are American classics, and this band does them justice". Amen.

Musical Director Paul Von Mertens arranges the strings for when there are string players ( SMiLE, Gershwin, TLOS), writes out the charts , plays flute, sax, harmonica's, organ, mandolin ; more instruments than the average band even has. Bob Lizik plays the bass lines exactly as Brian wrote them. The keyboard/vibe section is shared by Scott Bennett and Darian Sahanaja; switching seamlessly back and forth; Scott switching to guitar for " Marcella" . Nicky plays all sorts of eclectic stuff on guitar over in the corner; his guitar playing of the cello parts on "Good Vibrations" sounds like a locomotive ; kills me every time. Probyn plays guitar, trumpet, French horn and theremin; Matt Jardine plays acoustic guitar. The drums are superbly manned by Mike D'Amico; who also can play guitar and bass ; percussion is carried off by Nelson Bragg . Scott, Darian , Nicky, Probyn, Matt, Paul and Nelson all add their stellar vocals, singing those incredibly intricate harmonies creating a superb vocal stack. You will love hearing Matt singing the high parts; he sounds incredible .  My review ? This band kicks ass.

Add Brian Wilson , Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin to the mix and this is going to be an all time tour event. Don't miss it .
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »

Brian's band has always kicked ass for the most part. The setup they've had since 2009 is the best they've ever sounded. Like a fine wine, getting better with age.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »

Thanks for that Ray! I'll be seeing him in Philly this summer, very much looking forward to going!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »

I can't wait to see them this summer! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »

Bring back Taylor Mills!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »

Thanks for that Ray! I'll be seeing him in Philly this summer, very much looking forward to going!
I will be attending the Philly show too. I am so looking forward to this show. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:10:29 PM »

There needs to be a Philly meet up.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »

I'll be in the audience as well. The Mann is a superb venue. Last time he was there I was fortunate enough to spend some quality time with Brian including sitting next to him while he did an interview on his cell phone.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 05:34:06 PM »

I will see you there !
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »

Since there will be a new Brian Wilson tour in a few short weeks I wanted to say a few words about something I don't think enough time is spent on here ; and I am as guilty as hell as well for not saying more sooner , so to start off with I admit I am prejudiced. I wanted to talk about how great the BW Band really is and how much they add to the concert experience. These guys execute some of the most technically difficult pop music ever created, flawlessly ; with great energy. Each of them brings something excellent to the table.If I could share an experience from a few years ago, Brian and band were playing a benefit at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank , N.J. I was watching in the wings and there was a guy sitting in a folding chair stage right, intensely studying every player individually with great focus ; took me about a half hour to figure out it was Bruce Springsteen. After the concert , he said that " these are American classics, and this band does them justice". Amen.

Musical Director Paul Von Mertens arranges the strings for when there are string players ( SMiLE, Gershwin, TLOS), writes out the charts , plays flute, sax, harmonica's, organ, mandolin ; more instruments than the average band even has. Bob Lizik plays the bass lines exactly as Brian wrote them. The keyboard/vibe section is shared by Scott Bennett and Darian Sahanaja; switching seamlessly back and forth; Scott switching to guitar for " Marcella" . Nicky plays all sorts of eclectic stuff on guitar over in the corner; his guitar playing of the cello parts on "Good Vibrations" sounds like a locomotive ; kills me every time. Probyn plays guitar, trumpet, French horn and theremin; Matt Jardine plays acoustic guitar. The drums are superbly manned by Mike D'Amico; who also can play guitar and bass ; percussion is carried off by Nelson Bragg . Scott, Darian , Nicky, Probyn, Matt, Paul and Nelson all add their stellar vocals, singing those incredibly intricate harmonies creating a superb vocal stack. You will love hearing Matt singing the high parts; he sounds incredible .  My review ? This band kicks ass.

Add Brian Wilson , Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin to the mix and this is going to be an all time tour event. Don't miss it .

Great post Ray. Interesting that Springsteen studies the BW band. Bruce has always been a fan. Are you gonna make the Philly show?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »

Great post Ray. Interesting that Springsteen studies the BW band. Bruce has always been a fan. Are you gonna make the Philly show?

Yes ; will be there. Shortly after that show Bruce put out a CD with two tracks that were obviously BW influenced ; I can't remember the titles , I have the CD here somewhere. See you in Philly
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »

Yes ; will be there. Shortly after that show Bruce put out a CD with two tracks that were obviously BW influenced ; I can't remember the titles , I have the CD here somewhere. See you in Philly

"Girls in Their Summer Clothes" and "Let's Be Friends" I think.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »

I wont be there, but I hope you all have fun.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »

"Girls in Their Summer Clothes" and "Let's Be Friends" I think.

'Girls In Their Summer Clothes' is my absolute favorite Springsteen track of all time. Definite Brian Wilson influence with those harmonies and old town nostalgia.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »

They are the absolute best of the current touring bands and maybe the best live band to have played BB music of all time.(the actual BB from 64 to 74 are tough to beat, but the BW Band would give those lineups a run for tbeir money).

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »

Wow! These reviews are really awesome! I'm going to see Brian in June and I'm so excited! It will be my first beach boys live experience so that is really great to hear!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »

With a couple of 'ins and outs' over the last decade this had been Brian's stellar crew for quite awhile.  I think most...including Paul McCartney who SAID it...and now Bruce who's borne witness to it...already KNOW that Brian has an ACE...A-1...top of the line...kind of BEST...backing unit Ray.  Taylor is missed.  So too is Jeff.  Not to say that their replacements aren't excellent too.

I was reading somewhere that Jeff doesn't go 'on-line to Brian's or Mike's web thingys or whatzits because he knows he gets nailed on both.  BULLSHIT,  Nobody has anything negative to say about Jeff...and where-ever it was also said that Brian told Jeff that his backing unit is better than the Beach Boys.  Well?  Duh!!!  Brian tours with an equivalent of The Wrecking Crew.  Brian tours with how HE always thought it should have sounded like.  And?  For almost 15 years he's been pretty much right ON the money.  No saving a dollar to drop a harmonica note or go with a cheap version of the organ with Brian.  Maybe some don't notice or give a sh*t.  I do.

For those going to the Fox Theatre in Detroit July 5...we need to 'talk'. Cool Guy

And Ray...You ever going to answer that PM I sent you?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »

I do remember seeing an interview with Giles Martin (Sir George's son and a producer in his own very successful right) after seeing Brian's band perform Smile at RFH.  He simply couldn't believe that any single group of people could be that talented, playing that variety of instruments.  I'm pretty certain the comment was, "That's not right, that's not fair!" in reference to how unbelievably talented they are.  I don't remember if this particular interview (or part of the interview) ended up in a final cut or on the cutting room floor.  McCartney's band members had similar comments.  "We thought we were pretty good, but..."  We get Brian with the closest thing to the Wrecking Crew possible live,  AND they can do great vocals.

I can't wait for the shows this summer/fall...adding Blondie, Al and Matt, with Brian as enthusiastic as he is about it all?  Well, it really would be insane to miss it.  

Oops, in the midst of my posting, someone else mentioned the Wrecking Crew...fair enough...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:56:18 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »

As Frank Sinatra sang it:

Hear that music playing, listen to what it's saying
Throughout the years I've made a lot of friends
Many became famous, most of them go nameless
But I dedicate this song to all of them
I've sung with the best and I've had it all
I've gone from neighborhood saloons to Carnegie Hall
I've been down and out and I've been in demand
But I wouldn't have made it without them, here's to the band!

Those magical notes, those musical pearls
I've sung with all the Counts, the Dukes, the Kings, and the Earls
And the experience, I have to say, was grand

Strings soaring, horns boring
Drums pounding in my ear
To start at the ground and reach for the top
To have such a wonderful career, I just gotta stop
Stop and turn around to thank everyone that sits on the stand?
Cause I wouldn't have made it without them, here's to the band!

Here's to those ladies and the gentlemen
Here's to the AF of MI wouldn't have made it without them, here's to the band!
Here's to the band!

The first time I saw them with Brian, Symphony Hall in Boston, I was amazed at how they could pull off those studio creations live. Simply amazing.

Then I saw them again, at the Orpheum in Boston, for the Smile tour. I've never seen quite anything like that. To be able to pull that off live on stage - as noted with vocal harmonies no less - It set the bar as high as it could be set in my eyes and as a musician. Incredible musicianship.

And beyond that, they have the feel and the groove for the music, apart from reading the charts. Pockets a mile wide, grooves as thick as molasses. And the skill to pull it off.

Back to Sinatra for a second: Sid Mark has been broadcasting his Sinatra show in Philly since the 50's. He closes every show by saying "All things being equal and God willing", he'll be back another week playing Sinatra for a few hours on the radio.

Stealing Sid's line, all things being equal and God willing, I'll be in Philly for the show too.

And here's to the band!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »

Hear hear.  The players and singers  behind Mr. Wilson these past 15 years or so deserve all the great adjectives.  They have been the foundation for a very special time in the BW/BB story.  The only thing I will add is how struck I am by their passion and love for Brian Wilson and his music.  Along with the impeccable translation of the songs, it has made every show I've seen fun and magical.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 07:16:58 PM »

The guy's name was Skid Marks?  Man!!!  GF... his parents were mean.

Wrecking Crew Deb?  Great minds think alike.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »

Drums pounding in my ear

Here's to the band!

The first time I saw them with Brian, Symphony Hall in Boston, I was amazed at how they could pull off those studio creations live. Simply amazing.

Then I saw them again, at the Orpheum in Boston, for the Smile tour. I've never seen quite anything like that. To be able to pull that off live on stage - as noted with vocal harmonies no less - It set the bar as high as it could be set in my eyes and as a musician. Incredible musicianship.

And beyond that, they have the feel and the groove for the music, apart from reading the charts. Pockets a mile wide, grooves as thick as molasses. And the skill to pull it off.

Back to Sinatra for a second: Sid Mark has been broadcasting his Sinatra show in Philly since the 50's. He closes every show by saying "All things being equal and God willing", he'll be back another week playing Sinatra for a few hours on the radio.

Stealing Sid's line, all things being equal and God willing, I'll be in Philly for the show too.

And here's to the band!

Be glad to buy you a brewski, GF!   Beer

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 07:26:11 PM »

Drums pounding in my ear

Here's to the band!

And here's to the band!

Be glad to buy you a brewski, GF!   Beer

Much appreciated - I'll drink to that!  Beer  But the first round is mine.   Drinking Buddies

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 07:27:52 PM »

The guy's name was Skid Marks?  Man!!!  GF... his parents were mean.

Wrecking Crew Deb?  Great minds think alike.

That has to be it, Add Some!

And GF - well said, as always...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:28:49 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 07:40:52 PM »

Musical Director Paul Von Mertens arranges the strings for when there are string players ( SMiLE, Gershwin, TLOS), writes out the charts , plays flute, sax, harmonica's, organ, mandolin ; more instruments than the average band even has. Bob Lizik plays the bass lines exactly as Brian wrote them. The keyboard/vibe section is shared by Scott Bennett and Darian Sahanaja; switching seamlessly back and forth; Scott switching to guitar for " Marcella" . Nicky plays all sorts of eclectic stuff on guitar over in the corner; his guitar playing of the cello parts on "Good Vibrations" sounds like a locomotive ; kills me every time. Probyn plays guitar, trumpet, French horn and theremin; Matt Jardine plays acoustic guitar. The drums are superbly manned by Mike D'Amico; who also can play guitar and bass ; percussion is carried off by Nelson Bragg . Scott, Darian , Nicky, Probyn, Matt, Paul and Nelson all add their stellar vocals, singing those incredibly intricate harmonies creating a superb vocal stack. You will love hearing Matt singing the high parts; he sounds incredible .  My review ? This band kicks ass.

Gotta say that I'm a huge fan of Brian's band as a musical family, and luckily I've had the good fortune (many times) of not only experiencing the bliss of hearing them lovingly re-create Brian's genius in the live setting...but also having some laughs just hanging  out with them, receiving their generosity as a friend, and connecting in our common joy over the music of the sixties and all it's incredibly cool niches. Thanks Ray for putting the spotlight on them with this thread...I always look forward to the next time I get to hear them nail the classic BW/BB's sound. And like Brian, they are good and humble dudes, just working hard and making people happy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx