gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680791 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:08:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hoffman Board - Thread about Hite Morgan Sessions Kickstarter - Deleted!  (Read 38993 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »

raphph, thanks for the previews!

It always sounded to me like the finished "Surfer girl" had at least two Brians during the bridge; one singing lead, the other(s) in the background. The version in the video seems to be missing some voices, at least the high/falsetto part. So, would it be correct to assume that Brian overdubbed himself afterwards? And maybe even did all the voices?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »

raphph, thanks for the previews!

It always sounded to me like the finished "Surfer girl" had at least two Brians during the bridge; one singing lead, the other(s) in the background. The version in the video seems to be missing some voices, at least the high/falsetto part. So, would it be correct to assume that Brian overdubbed himself afterwards? And maybe even did all the voices?

The answer to this very good question is featured in the liner notes Wink
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2015, 05:02:14 PM »

Hey guys,

Just so you know I cancelled the Kickstarter campaign tonight. Apologies, I was very naive and this was my first Kickstarter campaign and in hindsight I should have opted to demonstrate a target that would cover costs rather than based on what I'd hoped to amass by selling all the copies I'm pressing.

I'll relaunch on IndieGogo in the next week or so..This allows me to guarantee some funding regardless of target, and I'll be going with a much more appropriate target based on costs to produce...Watch this space...and thanks to most of you for the questions and amazing support I'm receiving behind the scenes....

Chat soon

Raph
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »

Raphael, FWIW, my advice would be to remove any mention or participation of Brad Elliott from this project (Beach Boys fans have long memories where fraud is concerned: get Jim Murphy to do the liners anew) and to be less coy about the source of the files. There's a huge amount of interest in such a release, but the waters are a little murky for most tastes. I wish you well in this.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »

The voice of reason: I'd love to have these tracks in good shape and utter transparency on the source. Raphael might be the guy to do it - I hope so. AGD's correct - let's have Jim contribute the liners; why reward Brad's notoriety? Why not give the fans what they want? :-)

“We live in divisive times.”
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »

Hey all,

So I aim to have the Indiegogo campaign up in the next few days....

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments and messages of support I've received...Looking forward to reaching the goal someway and somehow...

As for Brad...I respect everyone's opinion and I hope that you all respect mine as the Producer of this release to be entitled to deliver the product in the shape and form that I see fit. Artistic vision and courage of your own convictions is vital when delivering any project. It's what keeps me determined.

The files that were provided to me were FLAC transfers from original mastered for production redbook CD. 16bit/44hz hence why no HD option. Incidentally, I was offered many titles that fall under this UK copyright 50 year ruling by many artists - and chose The Beach Boys because I really wanted to get Prelude To Summer... out there as I've often read about these mythical recordings. And no I'm not at liberty to discuss the other artists mentioned.

I sought out Brad to write these notes - I'm glad he said yes. He took some persuading and I don't blame him based on the stuff I've seen in the last week or so. I've even had my integrity called into question despite trying to be upfront on honest at all times. But I forgive easily, as this is one hell of a touchy subject.

I dearly hope you all help and pledge support towards this new campaign; and I totally understand if your principles / objections prevent you from doing so.

The IndieGogo campaign will be based on 750 pressed copies. I had already put in that order for the 750 so we'll see where we go before I push for any more. Regardless of whether I hit the campaign target - these 750 copies are being pressed..

More when I have it...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2015, 11:41:42 PM »

The files that were provided to me were FLAC transfers from original mastered for production redbook CD.

Those would be the tracks Hoffman mastered some 15 years ago and never got paid for, then.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2015, 12:17:32 AM »

"Artistic vision"? I like to think this stuff was Brian's artistic vision. Can we agree on that, maybe?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2015, 01:42:46 AM »

Really, probably the best way to represent these recordings is to probably take the steps to get legal clearance to release the complete unedited sessions in one definitive set.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2015, 02:11:02 AM »

(Anybody else think raphph is not who he seems? *cough*)

Seconded. "Brad is a standup guy" Uh-huh...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2015, 02:18:18 AM »

"Artistic vision"? I like to think this stuff was Brian's artistic vision. Can we agree on that, maybe?

Brian's and The Beach Boys' artistic vision is the music. What raphph was talking about is the form of this release. I guess you'd agree that apart from recording and writing this stuff almost 55 years ago, Brian and the Boys don't have anything to do with this certain release.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2015, 02:18:59 AM »

I feel that the major problem for folk here and across the BB fan world is no-one wants to see Elliott - who still owes tens of thousands of dollars to trusting fans and backers - in any way profiting from this release, even be it the writing of liner notes (which in all probability are those he did for the original First Wave incarnation some decade and a half ago). That's why the mention of anonymous sources and middlemen in the acquisition of the files raises questions, as does having some tracks excluded. I want to see this material released, but with openness and transparency.

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2015, 04:20:05 AM »

Once bitten, twice shy for me.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2015, 04:32:51 AM »

Brian's and The Beach Boys' artistic vision is the music. What raphph was talking about is the form of this release. I guess you'd agree that apart from recording and writing this stuff almost 55 years ago, Brian and the Boys don't have anything to do with this certain release.

I know what you mean; I've just never considered the the pressing up of 750 CDs in jewel cases as an art form.

But hey what do I know, there are people out there creating "sculpture" from sheep poo and little plastic climbers… art is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder I guess!  :D

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2015, 04:51:37 AM »

Once bitten, twice shy for me.

My credo in cases like this* is very simple: I pay for a product or a service, not a vague promise of same.

[* the original nonsense, not the current project]

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2015, 11:25:47 AM »

Yes the Artistic Vision quote threw me for a loop too,,, sure he want's to have an artistic vision for this release and I can see that, but it's still the Beach Boys/Brian's music, so why not ask them (or at least Brian) what HIS vision for this type of release would be..there's no doubt that the music should be released but I think it should get an official Capitol release or at least sanctioned by Brian and the other boys...
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »

The files that were provided to me were FLAC transfers from original mastered for production redbook CD.

Those would be the tracks Hoffman mastered some 15 years ago and never got paid for, then.

Steve was joking about not being paid - he's known about this release for months and been supportive. I've spoken to him in the last week in fact. You actually have no way to know what the deal was between Brad and Steve 15 years ago, nor whether any agreed-upon compensation between them was paid or not. It's certainly none of my business - nor is it any of my concern what happened previously as I wasn't involved and don't have to answer for it.

I'll get the campaign out soon. You pays your money / you takes your choice...

Even if I raise $20 on the campaign - the people that pledged will get what they paid for or their money back...You can't say fairer than that...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »

The Hoff joking ?  That's a first...

And you're entirely correct: you don't have to answer for Elliott's actions fifteen years ago, but you do have to concede that said actions have impacted negatively on your current project. Plus, somewhere down the line, he's got to be involved, and I don't see him handing over the files FOC to anyone.

This thing comes to fruition, I'll pay the asking price for it, just as I have every release since 1975. I'm a fan, it's what I do.  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2015, 12:44:07 AM »

Steve was joking about not being paid - he's known about this release for months and been supportive. I've spoken to him in the last week in fact. You actually have no way to know what the deal was between Brad and Steve 15 years ago, nor whether any agreed-upon compensation between them was paid or not. It's certainly none of my business - nor is it any of my concern what happened previously as I wasn't involved and don't have to answer for it.

I'll get the campaign out soon. You pays your money / you takes your choice...

Even if I raise $20 on the campaign - the people that pledged will get what they paid for or their money back...You can't say fairer than that...

Odd thing to do - make that kind of joke about such a grey area subject then delete the thread. Can you provide evidence of Hoffman's support?

wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2015, 08:21:57 AM »

You mean the Beach Boys kickstarter wasn't just an hoffman forum injoke/pisstake off the back of the comedy posts re the #vnyl random crap recordis in the post fiasco.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2016, 01:13:13 AM »

ok, I wonder where things are at on this project?
this thread is nearly a year old with no updated info or
communication from Mr. Ralph.
Where are ya Ralphy??
IainLee
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2016, 08:10:27 AM »

ok, I wonder where things are at on this project?
this thread is nearly a year old with no updated info or
communication from Mr. Ralph.
Where are ya Ralphy??

Yes. I'd been wondering about this. Ralph approached me last year, I run a small label 7a Records, about the possibility of releasing this. If memory serves me right, and it doesn't always, I exchanged a few emails with him and Brad about this. It was all a little vague, a little grey legally and a lot expensive. People don't seem to realise there ain't no money in releasing CD's and $40,000 was way way way out of what we could afford and recoup.

Any news on this?

Oh yeah, shameless plug, 7a is about to release An Evening With Peter No one and Micky Dolenz where they sit and chat. Dolenz tells a story about jamming with Brian and Lennon in his basement..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2016, 08:25:09 AM »

Interesting that Elliot was still directly involved. Also interesting that $40,000 is pretty much the sum that he embezzled  from the backers of First Wave back in the late 90s...

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »

Interesting that Elliot was still directly involved. Also interesting that $40,000 is pretty much the sum that he embezzled  from the backers of First Wave back in the late 90s...

I'm frankly amazed he's shown his face -- even by email -- to anyone at all, given his reputation these days. I think one of the only things you'll be able to get consensus on among Beach Boys fandom is that Brad Elliot is an untrustworthy thief...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
IainLee
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2016, 02:45:06 PM »

Correction. My initial emails were with a chap called Steve Lee. Then I was passed onto Brad. Who was...determined, shall we say.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx