gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:33:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB King has died  (Read 4052 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:10:24 AM »

man...

RIP

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:20:37 AM »

RIP to the legend.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:16:09 AM »

One of the true innovators. He was one of the first guitar heroes, if not the first. A very underrated singer, too. He had a BIG, powerful voice, but he could also be gentle and quiet. Hopefully he's at peace now.

Damn it.  Sad  Sad

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:26:09 AM »

I know he was just months away from 90 and was in hospice, but this news is still quite shocking. Especially considering about an hour before his death was announced, I posted on the Ben E King thread that we might lose BB King soon, and that I dread the day that comes.... Which happened to be today.

This truly is the end of an era. The last of the classic bluesmen. R.I.P.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 02:42:12 AM »

This is sad. He's one of my heroes. Apart from John Lee Hooker he was the only bluesman who really got it made in the mainstream.

Great singer, great musician and from all I have heard: a great guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWLAAzOBoBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZXBlZjejc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4DDkye8FU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Kt34pCTVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgTWSEfGwEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqkWH4G1SRA
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:47:47 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 05:14:03 AM »

Woke up this morning to learn that BB had left Lucille for his ultimate journey to the great unknown and I wish him well.  He started in music as a radio DJ.  Had a huge collection of 'Blues' 'platters'...which he ultimately donated to a university ... I believe.

Smooth guitarist.  Not the gruffest or most powerful voice.  His biggest crossover hit remains 'The Thrill is Gone'.  When he was invited to come play it on David Letterman's show a couple of decades back...Paul Shaffer arranged to have 2 [if memory serves] cellists on hand.  BB said it was the first time since the song had been released that he had ever played it with cellos.  He seemed sincerely touched that Paul and Dave had gone to that much trouble for him.

Another BB-ism I love.  He gave a 12 year old guitar wiz named Joe Bonamassa the change to play live on stage WITH him.  Joe is one of the very BEST bluesmen out there even as I type.

BB King...Born Riley B. King on Sept. 16, 1925...the man passed away in his sleep at 9:40 [Pacific time] last night at his home.  While his early years might have been more than just a little difficult given the fact that he lived in a racist world BB must have enjoyed the 2nd half of his storied life immensely

50 some odd albums.  About 250 shows a year.  [although he played close to 350 shows one year back in the 50s]  King really only had to slow 'er down after his diabetes really took hold of him over these past 10 - 12 months or so.  He collapsed on stage last fall...in October I think.  By that point he had slowed himself down to about 100 or so shows and concert a year.

Awarded properly for his efforts and held in high esteem by musicians of all ages...BB King led a great life and left an unparalleled legacy.  The Thrill IS gone.  The benefits remain.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:37:52 AM »

Brian commented on Facebook, go figure. 

https://www.facebook.com/#!/officialbrianwilson/photos/a.452661542240.241240.34250497240/10153296759097241/?type=1&theater

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 08:29:50 AM »

Great tribute from Brian...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 09:19:55 AM »

Eighty-nine is a good age, but very sad all the same. A great loss...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »

RIP to the Beale Street Blues Boy. His 1980s concert at the University of Georgia is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Cry

(NP: King's Live at San Quentin)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:48:47 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 11:22:14 AM »

Bit of an obituary/tribute: http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/bb-king-rip.html
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »

No one did more to make the blues mainstream music than BB King. A great artist and great man. RIP
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »

One of the true innovators. He was one of the first guitar heroes, if not the first. A very underrated singer, too. He had a BIG, powerful voice, but he could also be gentle and quiet. Hopefully he's at peace now.

Damn it.  Sad  Sad
  Yes, great singer. There was no mistaking when a B.B. song came on - instantly recognizable voice and guitar.
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »

Yes, great singer. There was no mistaking when a B.B. song came on - instantly recognizable voice and guitar.
Amen! RIP Mr. King.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »

There'll be some very nice re-issues of BB's albums:

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/bumper-b-b-king-reissues-announced

To mark what would have been King’s 90th birthday on 16 September, a reissue of some of his catalogue on vinyl and digitally re-mastered for online retailers, will begin with the remaining 9 titles of his 11 celebrated early albums released on Crown Records, a subsidiary of Modern Records. On 11 September, joining the two other Crown Records titles already available (the 1956 LP release Singin’ the Blues and 1958’s The Blues), these nine releases on King’s first label feature material that has been unavailable for decades.

Also available, a pair of classic live albums, Live at the Regal, and Live in Cook County Jail, will be re-released on 18 September, both on disc and digital form. A double-LP set, Deuces Wild, which features King performing duets with a series of noted partners, including Bonnie Raitt, the Rolling Stones and D’Angelo, will be issued on vinyl for the first time, in a special vinyl gatefold edition, 9 October.

A very special double LP retrospective 'Ladies & Gentlemen... Mr B.B. King' will also be released on 6th November, featuring a selection of the best tracks form the already available 10CD box set. 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx