gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:41:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine in Concert 15 Years Ago (Nearly) to the Day......  (Read 1850 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:48:22 AM »

With the holiday coming up, it reminded me that it was on Memorial Day weekend back in 2000 that I caught Al in concert. I reminisced briefly on my Facebook page (see my signature) about the show. I can't find the photos I shot that day at the moment, but I did find the flyer:

They didn't do any "Wilson Sisters" songs, and Owen Elliott of course was no longer performing with them by that point. But an awesome show!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »

Good way to spend Memorial Day Weekend.   
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »

I saw them two nights in a row around that time, in Green Bay, Wi. Actually rode with Al to the venue the second night, in his limo. He then got me a backstage pass and a front row seat. What a night. It was just a few weeks prior to Carnies weight loss surgery.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »

What a shame Mike couldn't have attended as a show of support.  Grin
Nicko1234
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »

Obsessed much?

Seems Sail on Sailor and Wild Honey were the deep cuts played at this short show.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:15:37 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »

Obsessed much?

Seems Sail on Sailor and Wild Honey were the deep cuts played at this short show.

Actually you're right. I was wrong to sarcastically imply anything negative by bringing Mike up. In fact, perhaps we could take this moment to thank Mike for politely showing Al the door, because if not for that action, Al's BBFF band wouldn't have even been created or existed whatsoever. People who are fans of BBFF actually owe Mike a debt of gratitude.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:16:54 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »

Obsessed much?

I would say "Girl Don't Tell Me" was as much or more of a deep cut, especially in 2000.

Not that anybody was even broaching the subject of "deep cuts" at this show. I even mentioned it was a short show.

They rehearsed tracks including "Break Away" and "The Trader", but the show was too short to do that stuff.

The whole point of the thread was to try to eek out a positive thread here.  LOL

We can be negative too I guess, and point out that it was because of a bunch of court injunctions and vengeance that Al barely did any gigs in 2000, and the shows that he did do tended to be shows like this one: Short, "free" shows at parks and fairs where there was no ability to stretch the setlist out at all.

Nevertheless, it was an awesome show, right up there with the best Brian shows I've seen. The only thing I can criticize about this show was that it had to be so short.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »

I wasn`t being negative and you are right that I omitted to mention Girl Don`t Tell Me.

Glad that it was a good show. I have some boots of Al`s shows around that time and I have always said that his band, if you include the vocals, was the best sounding band out there at the time.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »

I wasn`t being negative and you are right that I omitted to mention Girl Don`t Tell Me.

Glad that it was a good show. I have some boots of Al`s shows around that time and I have always said that his band, if you include the vocals, was the best sounding band out there at the time.

100% agreed on that last sentence! C50 would have been even better with Billy, Ed, Bobby, Matt on board.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »

Obsessed much?

Actually you're right. I was wrong to sarcastically imply anything negative by bringing Mike up. In fact, perhaps we could take this moment to thank Mike for politely showing Al the door, because if not for that action, Al's BBFF band wouldn't have even been created or existed whatsoever. People who are fans of BBFF actually owe Mike a debt of gratitude.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:58:37 AM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx