gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:57:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California saga broken down, not so much a trilogy..  (Read 1510 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »

Big sir a sunflower outtake, beaks of eagles the Jeffers poem with a few added sung parts and California a reworking of California girls in essence.. two songs and a poem grouped as a trilogy;;; thoughts?
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:58:22 PM »

I'm still trying to make sense of this question.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »

No matter how it came about, it works wonderfully.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:39:45 AM »

I think your punctuation,grammar and syntax could use some work. I also think the band never recorded a song called "Big Sir".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 05:48:13 AM »

I'm not a fan of the California Saga.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 06:05:42 AM »

Yes, definitely a trilogy, and as such it works very well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:16:13 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:25:28 AM »

I can never understand why anyone would automatically discount the worth of a track on the sole basis that it's old, or that it's an out-take from a previous album's sessions, or a re-recording of something previously unreleased. Sure, discount it because it's any or all of these things AND IT'S ALSO BAD, but if it's a quality tune and you like the recording and performance, why hate on it just because of its pedigree? Seems a bit masochistic to me. "This is good, but I know the history of the track, and it's old, so I won't let myself like or enjoy it". WTF?

So, yes, Big Sur is a re-record of a Sunflower-era recording; so what? It's the only officially released version of that song there is, and it's pretty decent, with some of the Beach Boys' best humming on record outside Little Pad, in my opinion. Like a lot of Mike's solo tunes, it owes a debt to out-of-copyright classical works (I always wonder if he did this consciously, so as to be less sue-able, or was it a 'He's So Fine/My Sweet Lord'-type accident??)... but who cares when the result is this fine?

I'm not wild about The Beaks Of Eagles — the delivery of the ripped-off poetry is just too po-faced and pretentious for my taste. The musical bits in-between are fun, though, so I did my own edit without the poem which is my go-to version of the Saga.

Finally, I agree that California owes much — perhaps too much — to California Girls, but again, the performance and harmonies on the track are just so lovely that I can forgive it and just enjoy it. Plus, I'm a sucker for synth-bass... so sue me.

So for me, there's more to enjoy in the Saga than not. Especially if you edit out the recital of the Jefferson poem. As to whether it works as a trilogy... well, we know it wasn't written that way; the separate pieces were welded together later. But it sounds OK as a through-mixed suite of tracks in my opinion, and it's harder to break the recordings up than it is to listen to them as one piece (the single version of California never sounds right to me; it always sounds as though it's starting in the middle of something, which in a way, of course, it is)... so I say roll with it as a suite.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »

I like it. Though I'm sure Big Sur was recorded more in the sphere of Surf's Up.

Punctuation, grammar and syntax. Another great trilogy.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:47:53 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx