gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:21:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Mike has been stockpiling his songs...  (Read 11321 times)
OllieBop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »

It's a simple question: Does he have enough quality material stored away to make at least one good album?

When you're down in New York City and the sky turns grey, nearly froze, think of Californ-I-A...
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »

No. I'm not sure he's produced enough decent material in the last 40 years either.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »

What do we know of on his stockpile? Three unreleased albums and one on vinyl that's never made it to CD? While I'd love these to have a formal release, I think it would have happened by now if it was going to. Maybe his autobiography will heighten interest next year, though I doubt it. A shame, but it doesn't hold much promise for Nything else he might have stashed away.

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »

What do we know of on his stockpile? Three unreleased albums and one on vinyl that's never made it to CD? While I'd love these to have a formal release, I think it would have happened by now if it was going to. Maybe his autobiography will heighten interest next year, though I doubt it. A shame, but it doesn't hold much promise for Nything else he might have stashed away.

If Mike finally releases a new solo album, he needs to put the original 1970 version of Big Sur in pristine quality on there as a bonus track, much like Brian put the long – awaited 1975 ITBOMM on NPP. It may not make a sizable dent, but it certainly wouldn't hurt interest in the song collection. That song seems as though it's being saved for a reason, though I can't seem to figure out why.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:03:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:17:22 PM »

I'll buy whatever album Mike finally releases.  I think the last thing I heard from him was "Cool Head, Warm Heart" which was pretty decent in my opinion. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:21:48 PM »

I'll buy whatever album Mike finally releases.  I think the last thing I heard from him was "Cool Head, Warm Heart" which was pretty decent in my opinion. 
That was a good song, and I would like to hear more from him.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 11:37:14 PM »

The entire history of Beach Boys and Beach Boys-related releases have been for naught if WRINKLES never sees an official release.

How the hell can those alleged "musicians" live with themselves knowing a song like WRINKLES has only been available on bootlegs for multiple decades.....

No mas, por favor.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 11:49:57 PM »

Cool Head, Warm Heart = good.
Daybreak Over the Ocean = not so good.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 12:01:25 AM »

Daybreak isn't really that bad of a song. It's just a terrible recording they used on the album. It goes to show how much of a rush job "Radio" was for the band. They really didn't have enough time to go into the studio for ONE song? They absolutely HAD to use this abortion version with Adrian Baker's voice and that last chorus where they changed the key up a half step digitally instead of actually singing those parts?

Mucho pathetico on everybody involved's part.....

Overall though, it's a pleasant, non-offensive song, much like Kokomo. As has been said before, if it had a "Brian Wilson" credit instead of a "Mike Love" one, it would be universally applauded by the sheepish masses who can somehow stomach dreck like "On The Island" featuring that girl from the Will Ferrell movie "Elf"

But yeah, everything Mike Love does is BAD. Everything Brian Wilson does GOOD.

In Jesus name, we pray

No mas, por favor.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 12:08:18 AM »

I compared the two because I think Cool Head is a really good song and think it should have had a place on TWGMTW instead of Daybreak.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 01:10:13 AM »

I think it all depends on the production and on what songs are chosen.

Mike has said he is working with producer Michael Lloyd who has obviously had a very successful career but...he is not exactly a cutting edge choice to put it mildly.

There are some decent potential songs in Mike`s solo writing because he generally steers clear of the references to the old hits and doesn`t try to follow the formula. If he were to do as Al did and include a mixture of previously released and never released songs (updated) then it would certainly be possibly to pick out a dozen nice tunes.

Big Sur, Sad Sad Summer, You`re Looking Better, Viggie, I Don`t Wanna Know, Daybreak (based on the superior First Love version), Glow Crescent Glow, Cool Head Warm Heart, Pisces Brothers, Too Cruel, Anything For You, 10,000 Years...

If the production were right then it could be a decent album.
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 01:21:28 AM »

Overall though, it's a pleasant, non-offensive song, much like Kokomo. As has been said before, if it had a "Brian Wilson" credit instead of a "Mike Love" one, it would be universally applauded by the sheepish masses who can somehow stomach dreck like "On The Island" featuring that girl from the Will Ferrell movie "Elf"

'That girl' does kind of undersell She & Him, who are as their name suggests, a duo. And Zooey has a lovely voice well suited to the sound they went for on that song. I don't hate Kokomo at all either, by the way, but On The Island is a very pleasant little tune.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 02:35:30 AM »

Too Cruel, Anything For You and 10,000 Years are all superb tracks, if only they were produced better than the Mike Love Not War-versions. Too Cruel and Anything For You have both some hit-potential, at least in my opinion. But it's a whole another thing who's interested about anything a nearly 80 years old man releases.
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 03:05:29 AM »

Too Cruel, Anything For You and 10,000 Years are all superb tracks, if only they were produced better than the Mike Love Not War-versions. Too Cruel and Anything For You have both some hit-potential, at least in my opinion. But it's a whole another thing who's interested about anything a nearly 80 years old man releases.
Is 10,000 Years a Mike Love track? I thought that it was a Dennis Wilson track.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 03:21:30 AM »

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:23:17 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 03:24:24 AM »

If Mike finally releases a new solo album, he needs to put the original 1970 version of Big Sur in pristine quality on there as a bonus track, much like Brian put the long – awaited 1975 ITBOMM on NPP. It may not make a sizable dent, but it certainly wouldn't hurt interest in the song collection. That song seems as though it's being saved for a reason, though I can't seem to figure out why.

No can do, it's a Beach Boys recording.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 03:43:42 AM »

Is 10,000 Years a Mike Love track? I thought that it was a Dennis Wilson track.

IIRC the music was by Dennis and the lyrics by Mike.
But that whole "10,000 years" is hard to get through. There's some "Friday night" in it and whatsoever... I never really understood it. Try searching a thread from around the time of POB's re-release about "Friday night"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 04:36:44 AM »

I don't mind Daybreak Over the Ocean.  Not the absolute best song on the album but still not a bad Beach Boys style tune either.  The thing is...generally one of the BEST things about many of the Beach Boys albums was the variety of lead voices.  1965 to 1973 was particularly great in that regard. [even the double sided hit singles offered variety]   A Mike solo album, although a wonderful collectable for HIS fans...wouldn't offer variety and likely wouldn't sell well enough to recover costs.

It's what makes NPP so good.  A variety of lead voices.  That same thing, I think, has hurt Brian on many of his solo albums ... at least to some degree...BWPS being an exception.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:38:00 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Nicko1234
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:52:07 AM »

I don't mind Daybreak Over the Ocean.  Not the absolute best song on the album but still not a bad Beach Boys style tune either.  The thing is...generally one of the BEST things about many of the Beach Boys albums was the variety of lead voices.  1965 to 1973 was particularly great in that regard. [even the double sided hit singles offered variety]   A Mike solo album, although a wonderful collectable for HIS fans...wouldn't offer variety and likely wouldn't sell well enough to recover costs.

It's what makes NPP so good.  A variety of lead voices.  That same thing, I think, has hurt Brian on many of his solo albums ... at least to some degree...BWPS being an exception.

Well, there`s no reason why Mike couldn`t or wouldn`t bring in some guest vocalists. Obviously he and Bruce have had plenty of pretty illustrious guests over the years with them on stage so it`s not impossible that some may be willing to add their vocals in the studio.

I don`t necessarily think variety is a good thing though. That all depends on how well the voices blend. Christian Love contributed a couple of leads on the unreleased Unleash the Love album but I didn`t think they worked as part of that collection.

(Al`s voice certainly did work on NPP but some of those other singers` contributions seem to be the least popular on the album. If Brian had sung a lot more leads it would have helped the album imo.)

As for sales, I doubt any Mike solo album would trouble the chart compilers. But if they were to sell it at gigs then it could sell a respectable amount (which is not a lot nowadays). Let`s face it, if they had issued Unleash the Love in 2004 and sold it at the 1000+ gigs that they`ve done since then it would only need a miniscule percentage of people to buy it for the sales to be acceptable in this day and age.
KDS
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 05:20:22 AM »

I'm with you as I've really grown to like Daybreak Over the Ocean. 

Maybe if Mike had Bruce, Jeff Foskett, or Brian Eichenberger (sp) add some leads, that would add some variety.  I don't think Mike's voice can carry a full album today.  Maybe he could take a page from Brian's book and have some guest vocalists. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 05:32:57 AM »

Would he be willing to do that?  Wait for years to finally realize a solo effort and turn the spotlight over to other people?  Is that Mike Love? Huh

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 05:39:28 AM »

Would he be willing to do that?  Wait for years to finally realize a solo effort and turn the spotlight over to other people?  Is that Mike Love? Huh

On one hand, I think you're right.  But if somebody gets in Mike's ear and says that adding some contemporary artists will sell some albums, he might do it. 

What I don't know is exactly what artists would be willing to appear on a Mike Love album.  In fact, that prospect scares me a little. 
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 05:51:56 AM »

The fake pitch-raising is crap, but other than that, Daybreak's probably my favourite track on TWGMTR.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »

I forgot about that one.

While forgettable ( Smiley ), it's pretty good.  The chorus has that awesome Beach Boys 'sound' to it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »

No can do, it's a Beach Boys recording.

Well, what about Don't Fight the Sea? That was a BB recording too, and somehow Al was able to release it on an Al solo album. I figure that with some legal wrangling, the same could possibly be feasible for Mike, no? Also, the 1975 ITBOMM, while featuring just Brian on it (and no other BBs) was co-written by another BB (Mike). While each song probably has unique legal parameters for ability to be released, I'd think that Big Sur could be released as a ML bonus track if he wanted it to be badly enough.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:24:48 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx