gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680806 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 09:02:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Mike has been stockpiling his songs...  (Read 11374 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »

I can't wait for "Country Love-The Rap Remixes" to appear on the shelves.. LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »

I can't wait for "Country Love-The Rap Remixes" to appear on the shelves.. LOL

How about a "Dallas" 7-inch record for sale in Dallas record stores? An ode to "Salt Lake City" getting traction in SLC back in the day?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »

If Mike finally releases a new solo album, he needs to put the original 1970 version of Big Sur in pristine quality on there as a bonus track, much like Brian put the long – awaited 1975 ITBOMM on NPP. It may not make a sizable dent, but it certainly wouldn't hurt interest in the song collection. That song seems as though it's being saved for a reason, though I can't seem to figure out why.

No can do, it's a Beach Boys recording.

Well, what about Don't Fight the Sea? That was a BB recording too, and somehow Al was able to release it on an Al solo album. I figure that with some legal wrangling, the same could possibly be feasible for Mike, no? Also, the 1975 ITBOMM, while featuring just Brian on it (and no other BBs) was co-written by another BB (Mike). While each song probably has unique legal parameters for ability to be released, I'd think that Big Sur could be released as a ML bonus track if he wanted it to be badly enough.

BRI definitely owns the recording of "Big Sur", I would guess *probably* owns the recording of the '75 Brian demo (if it was done in the studio on Brother's dime), and owns some elements of the "Don't Fight the Sea" recordings (though little from the '78 version remains on Al's solo album, most of the stuff is from circa 1989 and then the 2000's). I think these guys can on occasion poach this stuff for their own use with the proper approvals, and in some cases take ownership of the recordings. Especially when nobody else much cares.

When no other BB's are on the recording (e.g. the '75 demo), that removes one layer of complexity at least (performance royalties).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:18:54 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »

1. If Cool Head had been on TWGMTR instead of Daybreak, they would have destroyed him yet once again on this board  because Cool Head had been released and performed live many times previously.

2. If Mike invited guest lead singers for his new solo album, he'd be destroyed here once again for following Brian's footsteps.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 12:52:46 PM »

1. If Cool Head had been on TWGMTR instead of Daybreak, they would have destroyed him yet once again on this board  because Cool Head had been released and performed live many times previously.

2. If Mike invited guest lead singers for his new solo album, he'd be destroyed here once again for following Brian's footsteps.

Umm...  Cool Head is a solid tune, and if it was re-released as a BB tune on a BB album of new songs, it would get a similar amount of people being annoyed as would people if Brian released a previously-released song (and same recording) on a new BB album. 

And, Brian's use of guest lead singers wasn't entirely thought of as a good thing. The impression you make is that everyone is hailing Brian's use of guest lead singers as a completely great decision. There are a good deal of detractors regarding that decision, and while there are times when I think the guest vocalist thing works great on NPP, I don't like all of them. Secondly, honestly and seriously, what guest singers would (and could) Mike get for his album if he went that route?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »

...honestly and seriously, what guest singers would (and could) Mike get for his album if he went that route?

Brian recorded with Carnie and Wendy Wilson, maybe Mike could record with Christian and Ambha Love.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »

...honestly and seriously, what guest singers would (and could) Mike get for his album if he went that route?

Brian recorded with Carnie and Wendy Wilson, maybe Mike could record with Christian and Ambha Love.

I think many people would genuinely like that, and it would make it harder for people who just want to bash anything that Mike releases to do so. He should consider it.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 02:00:59 PM »

Is "Cool Head" available for purchase online by itself somewhere?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »

Is "Cool Head" available for purchase online by itself somewhere?

I'm thinking no (but don't know for sure), but I think that "Limited Edition" Hallmark exclusive CD with the track can be found super cheap on eBay and the like, and it has some solid live tracks on it as well, even a couple from the 70's. Everything on the CD is unique to the CD with the exception of Al's "PT Cruiser."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »

Would he be willing to do that?  Wait for years to finally realize a solo effort and turn the spotlight over to other people?  Is that Mike Love? Huh

It would seem so.

Unleash the Love featured other vocalists on Too Cruel, I Don`t Wanna Know, Love Foundation and Only One Earth.

And Looking Back with Love back in the day had Joanie Sommers as a guest.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »

Would he be willing to do that?  Wait for years to finally realize a solo effort and turn the spotlight over to other people?  Is that Mike Love? Huh

It would seem so.

Unleash the Love featured other vocalists on Too Cruel, I Don`t Wanna Know, Love Foundation and Only One Earth.

The real question is can Mike resist using his last name as a pun on a future album, either as a title or a song? I'm gonna go ahead... and say that urge will prove to be irresistible.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 03:28:59 PM »

It would seem so.

It's worth noting, though, that the 2004-ish Love solo "album" that floated around is likely not any sort of finished, banded album master that just wasn't released. Seemed much more like a rough compilation of stuff. I always got the sense back then that the stuff with Christian singing was targeted at a possible release of Christian's music, not Mike's. Mike doesn't do any lead vocal part on a couple of those songs as I recall, even though they're obviously re-makes of his '70's solo stuff. It's all guesses of course as to what could have or would have happened with the material.

They almost certainly would *not* have gotten a clearance to use Mike's home-made recording of Paul McCartney in India in 1968, so that was always the giveaway to me that this thing was more like a rough compilation.

Nicko1234
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 03:39:27 PM »

It would seem so.

It's worth noting, though, that the 2004-ish Love solo "album" that floated around is likely not any sort of finished, banded album master that just wasn't released. Seemed much more like a rough compilation of stuff. I always got the sense back then that the stuff with Christian singing was targeted at a possible release of Christian's music, not Mike's. Mike doesn't do any lead vocal part on a couple of those songs as I recall, even though they're obviously re-makes of his '70's solo stuff. It's all guesses of course as to what could have or would have happened with the material.

They almost certainly would *not* have gotten a clearance to use Mike's home-made recording of Paul McCartney in India in 1968, so that was always the giveaway to me that this thing was more like a rough compilation.

I agree that the album sounds unfinished and Mike said they might have to cut one or two songs as it was too long at the time (I believe they also recorded 3 other songs later too - Make Love Not War, Paris and one other).

I have never heard that either Too Cruel or I Don`t Wanna Know were ever intended for anything other than this though.

And while Mike obviously has quite the ego, I don`t remember him ever having issues with other people singing on his stuff. Carl would have sung on the First Love album, he worked with Dean Torrence and obviously the Celebration stuff is full of other people singing Mike`s songs and vice-versa.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »

It would seem so.

Does anyone know who made that home-made recording of Paul McCartney in India? Was it Mike himself who brought a tape recorder?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »

If Mike finally releases a new solo album, he needs to put the original 1970 version of Big Sur in pristine quality on there as a bonus track, much like Brian put the long – awaited 1975 ITBOMM on NPP. It may not make a sizable dent, but it certainly wouldn't hurt interest in the song collection. That song seems as though it's being saved for a reason, though I can't seem to figure out why.

Well, what about Don't Fight the Sea? That was a BB recording too, and somehow Al was able to release it on an Al solo album. I figure that with some legal wrangling, the same could possibly be feasible for Mike, no? Also, the 1975 ITBOMM, while featuring just Brian on it (and no other BBs) was co-written by another BB (Mike). While each song probably has unique legal parameters for ability to be released, I'd think that Big Sur could be released as a ML bonus track if he wanted it to be badly enough.

The ends don't suit the means.  Brian's demo of IBOMM is grey area enough that it was feasible for him to release it as a solo endeavor.  Yes Mike Love has a co-writing credit on the song but that is not where the focus should be because what we are speaking of here is performance, not song authorship.  For example, Al Jardine recorded a cover of "California Feelin'" on "Postcards..." which is a Brian Wilson composition without issue.   As you mentioned Jardine also included "Don't Fight The Sea" on the same record but stated that due to legal issues, the song had to be credited to him and not The Beach Boys.  In addition he was able to obtain the services of Johnston, Wilson, Love and I'm assuming permission of the estate of Carl Wilson to bring the song to conclusion.  Quite a bit of a trot for Jardine to have to go through to see the song released but remember what made "Don't Fight The Sea" a unique circumstance is that it was an unfinished Beach Boys song that Jardine wanted to feature on his record.  In order to finish it, he had to reassemble The Beach Boys which he somehow miraculously managed to do.  In the case of "Big Sur" you merely have a finished Beach Boys track that would be released under Mike Love's name.  That isn't going to fly.  Not in this lifetime anyhow.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 08:53:37 PM »

Mike releasing a solo is a waste of time due to his lack of songwriting and singing talent at this point.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 10:43:22 PM »

LOL
Daybreak isn't really that bad of a song. It's just a terrible recording they used on the album. It goes to show how much of a rush job "Radio" was for the band. They really didn't have enough time to go into the studio for ONE song? They absolutely HAD to use this abortion version with Adrian Baker's voice and that last chorus where they changed the key up a half step digitally instead of actually singing those parts?

Mucho pathetico on everybody involved's part.....

Overall though, it's a pleasant, non-offensive song, much like Kokomo. As has been said before, if it had a "Brian Wilson" credit instead of a "Mike Love" one, it would be universally applauded by the sheepish masses who can somehow stomach dreck like "On The Island" featuring that girl from the Will Ferrell movie "Elf"

But yeah, everything Mike Love does is BAD. Everything Brian Wilson does GOOD.

In Jesus name, we pray
Cool Guy
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 01:50:35 AM »

Would he be willing to do that?  Wait for years to finally realize a solo effort and turn the spotlight over to other people?  Is that Mike Love? Huh

It would seem so.

The real question is can Mike resist using his last name as a pun on a future album, either as a title or a song? I'm gonna go ahead... and say that urge will prove to be irresistible.

Would making a pun on his first name acceptable ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2015, 01:57:54 AM »

The ends don't suit the means.  Brian's demo of IBOMM is grey area enough that it was feasible for him to release it as a solo endeavor.  Yes Mike Love has a co-writing credit on the song but that is not where the focus should be because what we are speaking of here is performance, not song authorship.  For example, Al Jardine recorded a cover of "California Feelin'" on "Postcards..." which is a Brian Wilson composition without issue.   As you mentioned Jardine also included "Don't Fight The Sea" on the same record but stated that due to legal issues, the song had to be credited to him and not The Beach Boys.  In addition he was able to obtain the services of Johnston, Wilson, Love and I'm assuming permission of the estate of Carl Wilson to bring the song to conclusion.  Quite a bit of a trot for Jardine to have to go through to see the song released but remember what made "Don't Fight The Sea" a unique circumstance is that it was an unfinished Beach Boys song that Jardine wanted to feature on his record.  In order to finish it, he had to reassemble The Beach Boys which he somehow miraculously managed to do.  In the case of "Big Sur" you merely have a finished Beach Boys track that would be released under Mike Love's name.  That isn't going to fly.  Not in this lifetime anyhow.

Over the span of something like 21 years.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:43 AM »

We might not have Social Security, at the very least the future holds promise of some other way to enjoy our golden years.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2015, 07:48:14 AM »

Would he be willing to do that?  Wait for years to finally realize a solo effort and turn the spotlight over to other people?  Is that Mike Love? Huh

It would seem so.

Would making a pun on his first name acceptable ?  Grin

Pass the Mike?
Adjust the Mike?
Is This Mike On?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2015, 08:19:03 AM »

The ends don't suit the means.  Brian's demo of IBOMM is grey area enough that it was feasible for him to release it as a solo endeavor.  Yes Mike Love has a co-writing credit on the song but that is not where the focus should be because what we are speaking of here is performance, not song authorship.  For example, Al Jardine recorded a cover of "California Feelin'" on "Postcards..." which is a Brian Wilson composition without issue.   As you mentioned Jardine also included "Don't Fight The Sea" on the same record but stated that due to legal issues, the song had to be credited to him and not The Beach Boys.  In addition he was able to obtain the services of Johnston, Wilson, Love and I'm assuming permission of the estate of Carl Wilson to bring the song to conclusion.  Quite a bit of a trot for Jardine to have to go through to see the song released but remember what made "Don't Fight The Sea" a unique circumstance is that it was an unfinished Beach Boys song that Jardine wanted to feature on his record.  In order to finish it, he had to reassemble The Beach Boys which he somehow miraculously managed to do.  In the case of "Big Sur" you merely have a finished Beach Boys track that would be released under Mike Love's name.  That isn't going to fly.  Not in this lifetime anyhow.

The songwriting credits would indeed not matter in any of these equations, so long as the song has been published. If it's unpublished, then some permissions would be needed. But Mike can cover "Lady Lynda" on a new solo album without Al's permission, etc. You just have to pay the flat royalty rate.

*Ownership* of the copyrights in the actual recordings is what would be the issue, and there have been several cases of very grey areas as far as "solo" BB projects using potentially *group*-made/funded recordings, recording that might be owned by BRI.

I would presume the original circa 1978 recordings of "Don't Fight the Sea" were made on BRI's dime (while under contract to Warner and/or CBS). Not sure who would have funded the circa 1989 recordings (at that stage, using Al's studio, Al may have just "paid" for it himself). There's probably a lot of "borrowing" and sharing of company resources. Al overdubs new stuff at *his* studio onto tape that was maybe paid for by BRI. Who knows. I think I've seen "Beach Boys in Concert" stamps on flight cases for music gear at Brian solo shows before. I would presume it's a case of "I'm a co-owner of BRI, BRI owns a bunch of crap, so I'm going to use some of it."

If Mike were actually motivated to do so, he might be able to finagle releasing the old recording of "Big Sur" as a "solo" track on his album with the right approvals.

As I mentioned before, I think it is easier to justify putting ostensibly "Solo" (or at least no other Beach Boys present) recordings on solo releases, even if BRI owns the tape. This was the case with "Night Bloomin' Jasmine" on the BW '88 reissue, which was probably recorded around 1981 or so (liners say 1979; either way, BRI probably had a claim on the tape). Same was the case with "In the Back of My Mind" on NPP.

Just as an aside, the interesting thing about “Don’t Fight the Sea” is that it sounds like *very little* of the ’78 recording is on that finished version. I think all of the vocals, including Al, Carl, Bruce, and Brian come from the circa 1989 sessions, with later vocal additions from Al (the last verse) and Mike (the bass vocal, done in the late 00’s). Bobby Figueroa’s drums may be from 1978. The Meros keyboard seems more likely from 1989.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:27:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »

Mike releasing a solo is a waste of time due to his lack of songwriting and singing talent at this point.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up.  Of course, plus volunteers would be needed to get the thing into stores. Wouldn't chart either. Best thing to do is wait till he croaks...nahhh, better yet, based on his track record, just forget the entire idea.   Whatever!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2015, 09:23:50 AM »

I can't wait to hear his new solo cd "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen" and read his new autobiography titled "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen- The Story of Love singing through a mike."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:02 AM »

Almost every song from First Love that hasn't been released and/or re-recorded and released is bloody brilliant: Lovely Leila, Viggie, Trisha, Glow Crescent Glow, I Don't Want To Know.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx