gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:08:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SAN MIGUEL Question  (Read 3779 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »

I had heard that a new mix of San Miguel was prepared for Keepin the Summer Alive.  Was this the mix that was included on the original vinyl issue of TEN YEARS OF HARMONY?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »

This is the first I've heard of this. Is the mix you mention different than that on the 93 boxed set?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »

I had heard that a new mix of San Miguel was prepared for Keepin the Summer Alive.  Was this the mix that was included on the original vinyl issue of TEN YEARS OF HARMONY?

where'd you hear this?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:45:32 AM »

<<where'd you hear this?>>

I can't honestly say.  Don't recall.  May have read it here or in another book.  But I did read it somewhere.  And the version on Ten Years of Harmony sounds a bit different than the one I heard on a Landlocked boot, which sounded much cleaner, must crisper, with better stereo separation.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »

I've heard that it was considered for the album; don't know if that equals "new mix."

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »

I’ve always been curious about how much (and what sort of) consideration was given to these weird alternate tracks for KTSA. There is also the weird idea (thankfully abandoned) to simply lease back “The Lord’s Prayer” from Capitol to put on the album. They also considered “Can’t Wait Too Long” apparently.

It wouldn’t be surprising if they did another mix of “San Miguel” if they were considering it (equally possible of course is that they only considered it and nothing more). Wasn’t there a mix of “When Girls Get Together” labeled as a “15 Big Ones Mix” from that tracklisting of potential Brother bonus tracks? In other words, there was previous precedent for considering an “older” song and doing a new mix, only later to ditch the idea.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »

As I recall, the concept for KTSA was for the band to be celebrating their past and future... with lots of new songs, some rarities from the past, etc.  I believe Bruce was the one pushing for The Lord's Prayer.  And he insisted When Girls Get Together be included on the album, after hearing the track when going through older material in the vault and falling in love with it.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »

San Miguel was pulled for MIU and remixed. Then pulled again for KTSA. The version Carl used mastering TYOH was the remixed one. When they were working on LA in 1978, Bruce said the following:

"Guercio wants to open the album with “Rock Plymouth Rock/Roll” and end with “Been Way Too Long”. "
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:46:36 AM by petsite » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »

<<San Miguel was pulled for MIU and remixed. Then pulled again for KTSA. The version Carl used mastering TYOH was the remixed one.>>

That's what I was thinking of.  I knew I'd read that it was remixed... for MIU, then.  Got it.  Thanks! I remember the interview about the Smile tracks for LA in Pet Sounds magazine.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »

<<end with “Been Way Too Long”. ">>

Thanks!  As far as I know, there have been two official versions of this released... an edit for the Wild Honey/Smiley Smile two-fer and an edit for the Good Vibrations box set.  Plus snippets on Hawthorne and the MIC collection.

Have any of these versions been taken from the version prepared for KTSA?
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »

I’ve always been curious about how much (and what sort of) consideration was given to these weird alternate tracks for KTSA. There is also the weird idea (thankfully abandoned) to simply lease back “The Lord’s Prayer” from Capitol to put on the album. They also considered “Can’t Wait Too Long” apparently.

It wouldn’t be surprising if they did another mix of “San Miguel” if they were considering it (equally possible of course is that they only considered it and nothing more). Wasn’t there a mix of “When Girls Get Together” labeled as a “15 Big Ones Mix” from that tracklisting of potential Brother bonus tracks? In other words, there was previous precedent for considering an “older” song and doing a new mix, only later to ditch the idea.

I thought The Lord's Prayer was only slotted for Reverberation.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »

Not sure about that one, but I recall it was bandied about for KTSA. I wanna say it's mentioned in AGD's "ComGuide", but I'm not 100% sure.

I remember thinking it was weird on top of everything else because Bruce isn't even on that old recording, yet he was producing the album and considering the track. Using a 17-year-old track on a new album is kinda odd to begin with, especially a track already officially released 17 years ago!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »

San Miguel was pulled for MIU and remixed. Then pulled again for KTSA. The version Carl used mastering TYOH was the remixed one. When they were working on LA in 1978, Bruce said the following:

"Guercio wants to open the album with “Rock Plymouth Rock/Roll” and end with “Been Way Too Long”. "

Never heard that about San Miguel, but it would have improved the album tremendously, even though it's far from my favourite DW song.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »

Not sure about that one, but I recall it was bandied about for KTSA. I wanna say it's mentioned in AGD's "ComGuide", but I'm not 100% sure.

I remember thinking it was weird on top of everything else because Bruce isn't even on that old recording, yet he was producing the album and considering the track. Using a 17-year-old track on a new album is kinda odd to begin with, especially a track already officially released 17 years ago!

We could have had Keepin' the Summer On Life Support. The cover was already halfway there.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »

What a weird, and already not cohesive hodgepodge album KTSA already is, let alone what it might have wound up as.

I wonder what Dennis felt about San Miguel being considered for both MIU and KTSA. Such a killer track. Was he all for it?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 01:28:10 PM »

COMMENT:  I have made dozens of mixes of San Miguel, but 12 mixes were completed and finished to the point of being labeled "Master" -- and placed in the vault.  All of them will be part of a study-video about San Miguel when I get around to making it.  It's a relatively easy song to mix. Some of you who went to the "Busy Doin' Nothing" convention some years ago did have the chance to "mix" San Miguel for yourself ... if you recall the little mixing board I set up in the corner of that hall. To get an answer to your question about TEN YEARS OF HARMONY, I suggest you ask Alan Boyd on his thread.   ~swd
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 01:47:38 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Desper! 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »

COMMENT:  I have made dozens of mixes of San Miguel, but 12 mixes were completed and finished to the point of being labeled "Master" -- and placed in the vault.  All of them will be part of a study-video about San Miguel when I get around to making it.  It's a relatively easy song to mix. Some of you who went to the "Busy Doin' Nothing" convention some years ago did have the chance to "mix" San Miguel for yourself ... if you recall the little mixing board I set up in the corner of that hall. To get an answer to your question about TEN YEARS OF HARMONY, I suggest you ask Alan Boyd on his thread.   ~swd

Super awesome. Thank you again.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »

I know I have said it before, but it bares repeating. THANK YOU THANK YOU Steve for answering these questions. It is SO nice to have someone who knows hands on about this music. So many would just kind of blow by and say forget it.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »

I know I have said it before, but it bares repeating. THANK YOU THANK YOU Steve for answering these questions. It is SO nice to have someone who knows hands on about this music. So many would just kind of blow by and say forget it.

COMMENT:  Thank you for your words of kindness. It was my pleasure and privilege to work with the great talents embodied in the singing group The Beach Boys. As a fellow fan, I am honored to be able to bring my perspective of their the history to other fans and hope we all never forget the heart felt feelings which we experience when listening to their musical creations.
~swd
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »

Steve, I put this under another section but I can just put it here as well since THIS is the thread you are commenting on (dummy me!).

I know you have written extensively about these sessions in your book, but, I was just wondering an overall question. SO SO many writings on the Surf's Up track make it sound like it was a monumental undertaking to get this done technically. I would have thought that just transferring the old 4 track backing track up to a 16 track then recording the lead vocals would have started the process. But interviews with Jack R. (RIP) and others say that Carl spent night after night after night just trying to "find" the first part. Was he looking for something that wasn't found, or just kind of trolling thru the tapes?

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »

Steve, I put this under another section but I can just put it here as well since THIS is the thread you are commenting on (dummy me!).

I know you have written extensively about these sessions in your book, but, I was just wondering an overall question. SO SO many writings on the Surf's Up track make it sound like it was a monumental undertaking to get this done technically. I would have thought that just transferring the old 4 track backing track up to a 16 track then recording the lead vocals would have started the process. But interviews with Jack R. (RIP) and others say that Carl spent night after night after night just trying to "find" the first part. Was he looking for something that wasn't found, or just kind of trolling thru the tapes?

COMMENT:    It's all in the book which you will just have to wait on. ~swd
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »

Thank you for that. Can't wait!!!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »

Thank you for that. Can't wait!!!!

Why do people say " Can't Wait" when they know they have to wait?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 11:51:57 PM »

Isn't there a later 70s remake of San Miguel? I'm sure I've heard a different backing track. Was this a Dennis solo recording session?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx