gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:22:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the most devastating moment in the band's career?  (Read 39181 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2015, 04:12:46 PM »

Wait a sec...did two posters get married? Why wasn't I invited?  LOL

Sounds like filledeplage is not that into me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:54:36 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »

Oh, I know! Let's steer this back on topic. The most devastating moment in the band's career... say, filledeplage... coughSTUDENTDEMONSTRATIONTIMEcoughcoughcough. There. All better and back on topic.

Nicko1234, you seriously think petty internet snipping at spelling and grammar somehow only applies to Cam Mott? C'mon. It's the beloved past-time of some of this board's greatest pedants with rich, near-Biblical beards. The weak complaints about personal attacks DO neatly change the subject from Mr. Love's boneheaded moves, tho. If you're really concerned about balance and protecting the integrity of Cam Mott's paper mache arguments, do feel free to post on topic and blame other members of the band for devastating moments so some weird equality is achieved in your minds.

There's a riot goin' on!

Did you have an opinion on the topic or are you just in it for the insults?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »

I think I'm gonna go put on a baseball cap and point at someone

I've often thought about going out on the street and doing this, maybe shouting out 'Wheeeeeeeeeeen!' as I do so, see how long it takes for the cops to show up.
please videotape this and wear ML circa 1992 clothes. LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2015, 05:00:24 PM »

It would be a youtube sensation.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2015, 05:44:29 PM »

The success of Endless Summer and Spirit of America to me is the most devastating moment in the Beach Boys career.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:47:01 PM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »

The success of Endless Summer and Spirit of America to me is the most devastating moment in the Beach Boys career.

In a word, that is crazy. Trust me, as someone who was there, the success of these comps made The Beach Boys a superstar band again, this time with the younger set, a demographic that included me. ENDLESS SUMMER passed on the music to the next generation of fans.

What was devastating was the band's reaction to this second generation success. They were given a golden opportunity to make contemporary recordings that built on the past, while being rooted in the present, that looked toward the future. We know that the right assembly of songs may have achieved this, but of course it didn't happen. That's down to The Beach Boys, not the wonderful success of ENDLESS SUMMER and SPIRIT OF AMERICA. Seriously, there was nothing "devastating" when these two comps resonated throughout the world 1974-76 - it was all pretty cool.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:46:59 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »

The most devastating moment in the band's career, professionally and spiritually (to Brian at least) was obviously the collapse of SMiLE.

I can't speak for the guys, but the deaths of Dennis and Carl were likely the most devastating personal setbacks.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2015, 08:50:11 AM »

Yeah, calling Endless Summer and Spirit of America "devastating" is a reach. Maybe devastatingly awesome for the band, though. Who's gonna argue with packed houses in stadiums all over the world as opposed to college campuses and small halls?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »

Endless Summer and Spirit of America can also be pegged to fortunate timing - In 1974 and up to maybe 1977 after disco replaced it, there was a full-blown revival of 50's and early 60's music and culture in general, across America at least. Did it start with George Lucas and American Graffitti? Perhaps it did, also maybe fueled by a combination of a post-60's lingering hangover and the Watergate era, but it seemed like a chunk of popular culture was focusing on the "Fabulous 50's" and the music started to sell again. The Beatles had a similar revival in 76-77 driven by reunion rumors and numerous repackaging and re-releases of Beatles songs and singles by Capitol. Happy Days after its first seasons - inspired some would say by American Graffitti's popularity and theme - became a national cultural phenom, full of 50's records just like Lucas did in his film. There was a desire to return to that era, and kids once again ate it up for a brief period.

Repackages of Beach Boys classics at this exact time just seemed to fit in perfectly with everything else that was going on, then factor in the "Spirit Of '76" vibe that was happening for the Bi-Centennial celebrations in the US, and the timing was right.

I don't think calling these hits packages "Endless Summer" or "Spirit Of America" instead of Greatest Hits vols. 3 and 4 or whatever was a stroke of marketing genius or devastation for the band (although Spirit Of America was a more direct appeal to a certain mindset of the era when it appeared), I just think these repackages hit the stores at just the right time given the way things were going in the 50's pop culture revival during those years. And it did remind people of how great these records made by a young producer/writer/arranger who could only hear out of one ear, his brothers, cousin, and high school friend and various other musicians still sounded a decade later. The records themselves were and are timeless, releasing them in the mid 70's was just a fluke of good timing and great luck since people were hungry for it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »

Yeah, calling Endless Summer and Spirit of America "devastating" is a reach. Maybe devastatingly awesome for the band, though. Who's gonna argue with packed houses in stadiums all over the world as opposed to college campuses and small halls?

All of that came with a price.

Oh wait, only a guy like Mike Love would see nothing wrong with that.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »

A price, perhaps...but to call it devastating? Nah, not really. I fail to see how Michael would have anything to do with that. Care to elaborate?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »

I find Wipe Out with the Fat Boys pretty devastating...
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »

I'm gonna rank the instance where Denny essentially got told he couldn't tour for his solo album and then return to the Beach Boys, without losing his job within the Beach Boys, as pretty high up there in devastating moments with plenty of wide-ranging (and granted, some speculative) repercussions.  Awful, awful move by his bandmates.
Especially galling as Mike Love then went on and did Celebration.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2015, 03:20:34 AM »

I find Wipe Out with the Fat Boys pretty devastating...

With the emphasis on vast... Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2015, 05:09:49 AM »

I'm gonna rank the instance where Denny essentially got told he couldn't tour for his solo album and then return to the Beach Boys, without losing his job within the Beach Boys, as pretty high up there in devastating moments with plenty of wide-ranging (and granted, some speculative) repercussions.  Awful, awful move by his bandmates.
Especially galling as Mike Love then went on and did Celebration.

And, Carl Wilson then went on and did two solo albums and some solo shows. And, Brian Wilson then went on and did solo shows in the mid-1980's and a solo album in 1988. Was that "galling" too?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:23:34 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2015, 05:16:28 AM »

According to Mike the band wasn't consulted at all about ES, it was already decided by Capitol just shown to them. They weren't even consulting about a title, it was just a suggestion that he made.

Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2015, 06:34:22 AM »

According to Mike, "Endless Summer" is "Mike Love concept album".
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »

Not booting myKe luHv out of the group in the late 60's. His days in the sun were over by then.  Transcendental Meditation

Ya know, while it may be a controversial opinion, I non-sarcastically and honestly do think that that more than one BB member might in fact agree with that.

I definitely think he did more harm than good post-67 or so.

For my answer...not finishing SMiLE. Hands down. Whether it took another month or 6 months, whether it would still have been the album Brian originally envisioned, whether it had been a #1 hit or a flop...the other guys should have sat Brian down and forced him to either divulge his grand plan or admit he didnt have one. And then they should have all worked together round the clock to record the missing vocals, finish either the elements or Tones to fill in the missing space on the album, and get SOMETHING out under the SMiLE name.

There's been other bad moments, but this is when their reputation really sank. I love Smiley Smile, and Id hope something done in that style could still be released in this alternate timeline, but it just wasnt what the public wanted in place of the much hyped psychedelic followup to Good Vibes and Pet Sounds. Had it come out after SMiLE rather than in place of it, I think it would have been seen as Brian intentionally going against the trends. As a willful act of defiance to the production race he himself started and perfected, instead of a band of has-beens out of touch with the times, which is how it came off in real life.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »

Mikie mentioned Darlin'.  GREAT tune.  But...that was 11 months after Good Vibrations wrapped up it's stay on the Top 40...and it WASN'T the next logical progression.  The Wild Honey songs you mentioned are great tunes. 

And nobody here mentioned it, Lee. Howie is hung up on the Monkees and Turtles (justifiably so) but Darlin' was no slouch! It was a contenda!

The thing that kills me (and the band) was the release of the "Gettin' Hungry/Devoted To You" single after "Heroes & Villains". What the hell were they thinking?! If there was ever a singles momentum killer it was that one. Not only was Smiley Smile the momentum killer album in '67, "Gettin' Hungry" helped the band start into a downward spiral. Then the Darlin' and Wild Honey singles, but the damage was already done until Do It Again came along. Album Rock was already in vogue in 'late '67 and '68 anyway. Bad choices all around.

The secondary question to the WTF moment of that  "Gettin' Hungry/Devoted To You" single being released after "Heroes & Villains", is why it was credited as "Brian and Mike"? There had to be reason(s) for that.

I think it was Mike trying to undo what Brian did by crediting Caroline No to himself. I think Brian was testing the waters to see how successful he could be going solo, at least here and there. And Mike and the others beat him down and reinforced the fact that he was a beach boy, he had to keep making "beach boy music" and then the Brian + Mike credit was like a statement to the record buying public. "Brian going solo? No. He just put his name on that single because he wrote it. But WE wrote this one again. So it's credited to us. See. We do that sometimes. See."

Perhaps, since the Caroline No single didnt do quite so well comparitevly, it was a reaffirmation to the fans that they were back to using the "winning formula" of Brian and Mike?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »

Mikie mentioned Darlin'.  GREAT tune.  But...that was 11 months after Good Vibrations wrapped up it's stay on the Top 40...and it WASN'T the next logical progression.  The Wild Honey songs you mentioned are great tunes.  

And nobody here mentioned it, Lee. Howie is hung up on the Monkees and Turtles (justifiably so) but Darlin' was no slouch! It was a contenda!

The thing that kills me (and the band) was the release of the "Gettin' Hungry/Devoted To You" single after "Heroes & Villains". What the hell were they thinking?! If there was ever a singles momentum killer it was that one. Not only was Smiley Smile the momentum killer album in '67, "Gettin' Hungry" helped the band start into a downward spiral. Then the Darlin' and Wild Honey singles, but the damage was already done until Do It Again came along. Album Rock was already in vogue in 'late '67 and '68 anyway. Bad choices all around.

The secondary question to the WTF moment of that  "Gettin' Hungry/Devoted To You" single being released after "Heroes & Villains", is why it was credited as "Brian and Mike"? There had to be reason(s) for that.

I think it was Mike trying to undo what Brian did by crediting Caroline No to himself. I think Brian was testing the waters to see how successful he could be going solo, at least here and there. And Mike and the others beat him down and reinforced the fact that he was a beach boy, he had to keep making "beach boy music" and then the Brian + Mike credit was like a statement to the record buying public. "Brian going solo? No. He just put his name on that single because he wrote it. But WE wrote this one again. So it's credited to us. See. We do that sometimes. See."

Perhaps, since the Caroline No single didnt do quite so well comparitevly, it was a reaffirmation to the fans that they were back to using the "winning formula" of Brian and Mike?

I would be quite surprised if the true answer deviated significantly from what you've theorized. It was a "CONTROL + Z" undo type of situation for the individuality that Brian had been building towards just one year prior.

Brian sure picked a real winner of a track to get that unique GH crediting distinction  Grin
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:55:05 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx