gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:40:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's instrumental contributions to the Surf's Up album  (Read 6852 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »

I believe it was Stave Desper who has been quoted as saying that, for the Surf's Up album, Brian Wilson's contributions were more extensive instrumentally than vocally. From what I have read, Brian played a "dissonant" keyboard on Don't Go Near the Water, a pipe organ IIRC on Day in the Life Of A Tree, and, of course, the piano on the original 1966 demo portion of what was released as the title track. Does anyone have any further detail as to what Brian contributed instrumentally to this and also the Carl and the Passions album?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »

I'm almost certain he played piano on He Come Down on So Tough

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »

Have to assume he played on Til I Die.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:48:00 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 01:04:18 PM »

HAve to assume he played on Til I Die.

Could most organ contributions be assumed to be Brian? I´m thinking specifically Til I Die and Surf´s Up.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »

didn't he contribute some kind of foot scuffling on Take A Load Off Your Feet?
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »

And plate scraping and horn honking!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 01:33:01 PM »

You beat me to it!  The gravel shuffling on the roof of his house!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »

Vocally he's very present on Disney Girls and Carl's two Surf's Up tracks.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 06:15:58 PM »

I thought Carl was the only Beach Boy on Long Promised Road? Even Mike comments on this on the live version on the EH soundtrack.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 08:41:31 PM »

I thought Carl was the only Beach Boy on Long Promised Road? Even Mike comments on this on the live version on the EH soundtrack.

Instrumentally, yes - but Brian's on there vocally, and maybe others too.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »

I believe it was Stave Desper who has been quoted as saying that, for the Surf's Up album, Brian Wilson's contributions were more extensive instrumentally than vocally. From what I have read, Brian played a "dissonant" keyboard on Don't Go Near the Water, a pipe organ IIRC on Day in the Life Of A Tree, and, of course, the piano on the original 1966 demo portion of what was released as the title track. Does anyone have any further detail as to what Brian contributed instrumentally to this and also the Carl and the Passions album?

According to Desper's book, on "Tree" Brian played pump organ and Daryl played pipe organ.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

Could most organ contributions be assumed to be Brian? I´m thinking specifically Til I Die and Surf´s Up.

"'Til I Die" has Brian on Rox-i-chord and organ, and I think Bruce on another organ part. Although Jack Rieley recalled that Carl played the Moog bass on "Surf's Up", a very informed source (who was there) says it was definitely Brian. Carl and/or Bruce added the organ parts, though.
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 08:49:58 PM »

I thought Daryl Dragon the Capitan played Paino

I had a fast Life
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 12:34:40 AM »

You beat me to it!  The gravel shuffling on the roof of his house!

More precisely, the roof of the garage.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 01:49:52 AM »

I thought Disney Girls didn't feature any BBs except Bruce. I thought the vocals were done by Bruce's production buddies like Curt/Kurt Becher/Boecherr.

edit: Wikipedia says the whole band is present, vocally. Hmm...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:01:25 AM by Loaf » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »

I thought Disney Girls didn't feature any BBs except Bruce. I thought the vocals were done by Bruce's production buddies like Curt/Kurt Becher/Boecherr.

Brian's definitely on there - he sings the "church, bingo chances, and old time dances" line.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 03:42:42 AM »

Brian's definitely on there - he sings the "church, bingo chances, and old time dances" line.

Gotta listen to it again. But I always thought that the highest part in that song is Bruce. Perhaps you mean a lower part in the stack?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 05:10:47 AM »

In 1971 ? Bruce didn't collaborate with Curt until the mid-70s.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 05:27:42 AM »

In 1971 ? Bruce didn't collaborate with Curt until the mid-70s.

Bruce and Curt were both involved on Sagitarrius' 'My World Fell Down' in 67, so i didn't think it was beyond the realm of possibility that these production buddies had stayed in contact.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 05:43:09 AM »

Brian's instrumental contributions to Surf's Up (As far as I know)

Don't Go Near The Water- Piano
Take A Load Off Your Feet- Percussion/Sound Effects
Student Demonstration Time- Bass(?)
A Day In The Life Of A Tree- Organ, Synthesizer
Till I Die- Harpsichord, Organ, Vibes, Drums
Surf's Up- Piano
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 07:05:44 AM »

"'Til I Die" has Brian on Rox-i-chord and organ, and I think Bruce on another organ part. Although Jack Rieley recalled that Carl played the Moog bass on "Surf's Up", a very informed source (who was there) says it was definitely Brian. Carl and/or Bruce added the organ parts, though.

COMMENT:  Sorry but Jack wasn't around. It was a late night session with only Carl and myself in the studio. I patched and played the Moog bass parts on Surf's Up and the original bass guitar parts recorded at Columbia were later replaced at the house studio. These and many other details will be revealed in the forthcoming second part of my book, Recording The Beach Boys due out this summer.

Part one of the book is viewable at http://swdstudyvideos.com

~swd
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:36:25 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 07:50:32 AM »

COMMENT:  Sorry but Jack wasn't around. It was a late night session with only Carl and myself in the studio. I patched and played the Moog bass parts on Surf's Up and the original bass guitar parts recorded at Columbia were later replaced at the house studio. These and many other details will be revealed in the forthcoming second part of my book, Recording The Beach Boys due out this summer.

~swd

This is exciting news! Stephen, you played on Surf's Up!? Are there any other songs you played on?

C-man's sessionography might need to be revised, unless this was common knowledge!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 08:13:58 AM »

Gotta listen to it again. But I always thought that the highest part in that song is Bruce. Perhaps you mean a lower part in the stack?
Brian took the high part in that line, Bruce couldn't hit it to his own satisfaction. Carl is very clear in the harmony stack throughout the song.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 09:20:12 AM »

~swd

This is exciting news! Stephen, you played on Surf's Up!? Are there any other songs you played on?

C-man's sessionography might need to be revised, unless this was common knowledge!

COMMENT:  Those songs I played on are covered in the book. Read part one of Recording The Beach Boys now at http://swdstudyvideos.com.  But to answer your question, I played when required and sang with them as well, just for my own enjoyment, and at my request, which they occasionally honored -- a few times. I think all recording engineers should at least once see what it's like to be on the other side of the glass so to gain some appreciation of the problems the singers must deal with. I'm not a bad singer, but even singing the simple parts they gave me was both a pleasure and scary, especially when the recording light goes ON.     ~swd
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 09:52:10 AM »

Wow, thanks!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx