gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:50:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "hang ten"  (Read 2601 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:46:59 AM »

I can't think of any Beach Boys song that has the term "hang ten" in the lyrics. You'd think with all the surf songs it would've came up at least once, especially in a cheesey throwback song from the 80s..

I respect Mike Love for not succumbing to the hang ten cliche.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 10:28:32 AM »

Not in the LYRICS, but I do believe that one of the earlier albums' liner notes has a short glossary of surf terms. "Hang ten," I believe, is not included, but "toes-on-the-nose" is, which I believe means the same thing as "hang ten."

Oh...and the Jack Benny skit from '65..."I can hardly wait to hang ten!" or something...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 10:07:20 PM »

On the 60's channel on XM radio, they play all kinds of little skits and things between the songs, because they have no commercials.  One of the things they play is a thing called "who am I" where they have famous musicians try to get the D.J. to guess who they are. 

So, there's one, and you hear Brian going "I had a band with my Brothers" and the D.J. goes "Brothers.... the Bee Gees?" or something like that, and Brian goes "Can we get some help here? Rhonda? Anybody?" and the guy still doesn't get it, then Brian says "Hang Ten, man" and the D.J. goes "that's a little heavy for me" and they keep going on and on and eventually he guesses that it's Brian Wilson. 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 11:01:31 AM »

That DJ needs a savage beating followed by a mandatory career change.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
aNonbeliever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 11:19:58 AM »

I'm going to tell myself that the XM DJ's schtick is to look clueless and that he really knew who Brian was all along. I hope.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 11:22:29 AM »

Perhaps so.  I still think a precautiounary beating would be advisable.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 02:52:55 PM »

Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that.  The DJ's playing along, but for the average listener, they probably wouldn't get that it's Brian for about 20 or 30 seconds.  they do tons of them, like they have a good Peter Noone one that they do, too.  At the very end, the D.J. goes Wilson? OHHHHH, WILSON! You're..... and Brian goes "That's Right, I'm Brian Wilson" it's all produced up and probably took them 30 minutes to record.  It's just a 45 second or so game they play a few times during the day, then immediately after they play a song by whoever that was in the game. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 04:28:59 PM »

What are the first two albums listed here on the Hang Ten label ? I've never heard of them.

http://music.aol.com/artist/the-beach-boys/3640/discography

A Vocal Element: Live 1967

Carnegie Hall 11-23-1972
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 04:32:53 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:54:47 PM »

Illegal concert recordings.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx