gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:04:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey - November 21, 1967  (Read 7262 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »

I think there’s a recording from Madison Square Garden from December ’76 where Carl sings “Wild Honey” as well. I recall the fidelity of that audience recording being pretty iffy, but it *sounded* like it was a good performance.  

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 12:29:47 PM »

You mean '75 Beachago, I beieve...or is there a killer BB concert in Chicago during 1965 that I don't know about??

The band played Chicago for two shows in 1965; both were professionally recorded and Brian also appeared with the band for the entirety of the shows.

Ray, and any/all who were there or know more details about this concert: did they go deeper into WH the LP beyond this track and Darlin'?

On the November 1967 tour they also played How She Boogalooed It and Country Air. Obviously, later on the band added Aren't You Glad and Let the Wind Blows to the shows in 1968 and 1972 respectively and Brian later added I'd Love Just Once To See You in 2007 for a short time.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »

I think there’s a recording from Madison Square Garden from December ’76 where Carl sings “Wild Honey” as well. I recall the fidelity of that audience recording being pretty iffy, but it *sounded* like it was a good performance.  

In the encore, no less! 11/24/76, if I remember correctly. They also played it the following two days at the same venue, but in the middle of the show. It wouldn't be touched again until Al and the Family & Friends picked it up in 1999.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:31:32 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »

You mean '75 Beachago, I beieve...or is there a killer BB concert in Chicago during 1965 that I don't know about??

The band played Chicago for two shows in 1965; both were professionally recorded and Brian also appeared with the band for the entirety of the shows.

Ray, and any/all who were there or know more details about this concert: did they go deeper into WH the LP beyond this track and Darlin'?

On the November 1967 tour they also played How She Boogalooed It and Country Air. Obviously, later on the band added Aren't You Glad and Let the Wind Blows to the shows in 1968 and 1972 respectively and Brian later added I'd Love Just Once To See You in 2007 for a short time.

Is "Country Air" on any of those four '67 soundboard recordings?

Either way, the 1970 Big Sur version of "Country Air" is a nice live version.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »

Is "Country Air" on any of those four '67 soundboard recordings?

Either way, the 1970 Big Sur version of "Country Air" is a nice live version.

It, along with How She Boogalooed It, is on the show from 11/17/67 in Detroit, which is on A Vocal Element. Agreed about the Big Sur recording. THAT tape would make an awesome release. Great version of Aren't You Glad on that one.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 12:33:14 PM »

In the encore, no less! 11/24/76, if I remember correctly. They also played it the following two days at the same venue, but in the middle of the show. It wouldn't be touched again until Al and the Family & Friends picked it up in 1999.

I caught Family & Friends in one of their rare post-1999 shows, in May of 2000, and hadn't yet heard they had done "Wild Honey" near the end of '99, so I was surprised when they busted it out at the show I was at. Especially since it was a shorter show (around 21 songs, maybe 70 minutes or so as I recall).

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 12:34:11 PM »

That band took a few risks with the setlist at the time. I remember being floored hearing them play Break Away on the live album.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »

That band took a few risks with the setlist at the time. I remember being floored hearing them play Break Away on the live album.

I later found at that they had wanted to do a longer show at that May 2000 show I caught, and had even hoped to do "The Trader"!

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »

I later found at that they had wanted to do a longer show at that May 2000 show I caught, and had even hoped to do "The Trader"!

I THINK one of my F&F bootlegs has them playing The Trader on it but I'm not sure; gonna check it out later and find out.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »

Thanks....I checked out Discogs and got a better idea about what else what out there in terms of live stuff...should have looked first!

Here's a request that one of the experts on live performances might want to tackle, if not done already...can you make "live version" LPs of all of the Beach Boys' studio LPs? I suspect the answer is a resounding "no"...but given that this is very likely the case, what woudl b the best 2-CD compilation of the best live performances if you collated across time?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »

You can make them for Pet Sounds and Surf's Up. Otherwise, you have LPs with as little as three numbers performed in concert (Party!, Surfin' Safari) or as many as eight (Summer Days).

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »

I wasn't there (not even born) but the bootleg also has live performances of "How she boogalooed it" and "Country air" from Wild Honey. I'm not sure though if they were played at that certain show.

No, I meant the 1965 Chicago show. It featured Brian and performances wre released on bootleg but also live. Officially we have "Shut down" (Hawthorne, CA), "409" (Single collection), "Runaway" (Made in California). Bootlegs add "Papa-oom-mow-mow", "Johnny b goode", "Don't worry baby", "I get around" iirc. Plus there is definitely also a recording of "Please let me wonder" from this show that some people have heard at Alan Boyd's. This is a show I definitely want.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 02:46:17 PM »

I THINK one of my F&F bootlegs has them playing The Trader on it but I'm not sure; gonna check it out later and find out.

Please mention if you find anything. I don't believe they ever did the song. The mention of considering it or perhaps rehearsing it for that gig in 2000 was the only time that song title even came up in reference to Al's band as far as I can remember.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 03:02:25 PM »

I'm looking through this list of 157 Family & Friends songs and I don't see The Trader.  The breasts I see.....they're not like mine.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/al-jardine-13d6c171.html

The Trader was one of Carl's and Jack's babies.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 03:12:30 PM »

Checked my F&F bootlegs. No Trader. My bad, guys.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2015, 03:30:02 PM »

Don't let it happen again, eh?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »

Country Air: https://soundcloud.com/bud_shaver/country-air-november-17-1967
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »

Don't let it happen again, eh?

I dare not test our mod staff. Smiley

Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2015, 03:58:51 PM »

How She Boogalooed It: https://soundcloud.com/bud_shaver/how-she-boogalooed-it
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2015, 05:05:38 AM »

Checked my F&F bootlegs. No Trader. My bad, guys.

IIRC Mike&Bruce tried "Feel flows" around the early 2000s. It was even filmed but I never seen or heard it. I don't recall which show it was. Strangely enough it doesn't seem to be on the Pro Shot Concerts list....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 05:14:15 AM »

No that is the first time I heard Wild Honey since that night....that is really clean.  Totally sounds like a board mix.  I want a board mix of the Feb 1971 Carnagie Hall concert, the Whiskey with Brian 1970, and Seattle with Brian when Mike was "unavailable".  Those three ; that's all I need.  Not too much to ask !

There's never a spare flux capacitor when you really need one, is there ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2015, 07:04:31 AM »

Thanks for that.  I so love that song.   Love

The only other live Country Air I've seen is on the Gaumont Palace YouTube.   Brian, Dennis, & Carl

One for you!  Beer
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »

I wasn't there (not even born) but the bootleg also has live performances of "How she boogalooed it" and "Country air" from Wild Honey. I'm not sure though if they were played at that certain show.

No, I meant the 1965 Chicago show. It featured Brian and performances wre released on bootleg but also live. Officially we have "Shut down" (Hawthorne, CA), "409" (Single collection), "Runaway" (Made in California). Bootlegs add "Papa-oom-mow-mow", "Johnny b goode", "Don't worry baby", "I get around" iirc. Plus there is definitely also a recording of "Please let me wonder" from this show that some people have heard at Alan Boyd's. This is a show I definitely want.

Here is "Shut down" from Chicago in 1965:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMXGU-gQ9A

Thanks for that.  I so love that song.   Love

The only other live Country Air I've seen is on the Gaumont Palace YouTube.   Brian, Dennis, & Carl

There is also a soundboard recording making the rounds of their show at the Big Sur Folk Festival in 1970 and they perform that song as well.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2015, 06:10:59 AM »

Thanks - I enjoyed that, as well.  Those late '67 shows (Buffalo Springfield) show how well the touring 5 did...great guitar and Hammond...even though they were starting to beef up the back line...

Thanks Bud Shaver - a smiley Bud light for you!  Beer
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »

Does anyone know if the 'Boys ever performed "I was made to love her" from WH live during this period (or any other period)?  I've never heard them do a live performance of that song. I loved Carl's lead on the WH album.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx