gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:40:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When were The Beach Boys at their live performance peak?  (Read 7054 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 01:20:59 AM »

Everything I've heard from those early 70s gigs leaves me in no doubt that that was the very peak of their frequently stunning live incarnations.

Why we don't yet have some multi-disc set of complete live shows from that era I don't really know. Other bands of that era - Allman Bros, The Who, Delaney and Bonnie etc etc etc - have released all manner of stuff which would arguably appeal to a much smaller audience. We have the (superb) In Concert and a smattering of (superb) live tracks scattered across various box sets and rarities comps.

Let Carnegie be the start of the flow!

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 02:21:37 AM »

Funnily enough, I was listening to the Paramount 1993 show along with the rehearsals just last week. Why this hasn't been officially released outside of the the 2 tracks on MIC is anyone's guess? The sound quality is great. Does anyone know if multi-tracks for this show exist? Carl is simply brilliant at this show and the setlist is out of this world.... "Take A Load Off Your Feet", "Vegetables"..amazing!  

..and for my money, The Beach Boys ended as an entity with Carl's death. I'm glad I saw them when he was alive.

Bruce has said that they have the tapes for this tour (and I think specifically this show) and that a release is certainly possible.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »

Anytime while Carl Wilson was still alive and touring.

Except 1978.

Why '78 ? I saw them in Milwaukee in '78 and they were good. Denny was in great form. Have a cassette from that show but the quality is bad.

Also, someone said something about Carl being gone in the early '80's. It was only 81. He was back in 82 and the 82 tour was pretty good because Carl wanted to do blocks of hits without breaks resulting in a lot of tunes in 90 minutes. Brian and Denny were obviously not on top of their game. '82 state fair in Milwaukee had all of the guys plus Jeff on stage for a few songs. I have a few pics somewhere.

Never saw them until '75 and was only 12 but trust those that were there....the in concert album kicks it!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »

71 - 74
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »

Anytime while Carl Wilson was still alive and touring.

Except 1978.

Why '78 ? I saw them in Milwaukee in '78 and they were good. Denny was in great form. Have a cassette from that show but the quality is bad.

Also, someone said something about Carl being gone in the early '80's. It was only 81. He was back in 82 and the 82 tour was pretty good because Carl wanted to do blocks of hits without breaks resulting in a lot of tunes in 90 minutes. Brian and Denny were obviously not on top of their game. '82 state fair in Milwaukee had all of the guys plus Jeff on stage for a few songs. I have a few pics somewhere.

Never saw them until '75 and was only 12 but trust those that were there....the in concert album kicks it!

Australia '78, not a high point in Carl's career.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
OllieBop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »

Why what was up with Carl in 1978 Australia?

When you're down in New York City and the sky turns grey, nearly froze, think of Californ-I-A...
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLWdQo-nTsw

Just watch this concert and see... especially during God Only Knows, and the intros to Country Pie and Surfer Girl... let's just say that when Dennis is the most lucid Wilson brother on stage, it's very concerning.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »

It was specifically the 3/14/78 Perth show. Carl had a little too much to drink and keeled over in the middle of the show (possibly at the beginning of Do It Again as loud guitar feedback can be heard; presumably Ed Carter jumped in to cover him while he was removed from the stage). He made a public apology the following day and performed the entire second show in Perth.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »

The guy had a bad day at work.  A REALLY bad day at work.  OVER ALL THOSE DECADES...one really bad flippin' day.  Wish I could make that claim.  Not bad considering who he had to hang around with while trying to do his job.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »

The guy had a bad day at work.  A REALLY bad day at work.  OVER ALL THOSE DECADES...one really bad flippin' day.  Wish I could make that claim.  Not bad considering who he had to hang around with while trying to do his job.

Dude, what the f***? What the hell does that have to do with his company on tour at the time? Carl's marriage was failing. He also had a coke and heroin habit around the same time. Personal demons are a bitch. Glass houses. Enjoy your stay. Mind the stones.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

Dude, what the f***? What the hell does that have to do with his company on tour at the time? Carl's marriage was failing. He also had a coke and heroin habit around the same time. Personal demons are a bitch. Glass houses. Enjoy your stay. Mind the stones.

It all adds up doesn't it?  No place to run.  No place to hide.  No refuge.  And through all of that...he slipped up once.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »

It adds up if you're doing psuedomathematics. I highly doubt current company on that tour drove the man to get smashed to that extent.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2015, 06:09:18 PM »

You do do ya? LOL

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2015, 06:09:37 PM »

It adds up if you're doing psuedomathematics. I highly doubt current company on that tour drove the man to get smashed to that extent.

Why are giving Add Some a bunch of sh*t? He was giving Carl PROPS for really only "messing up" badly that one time. And also basically saying he wishes that he (Add Some) had only screwed up once in his years.

Instead you somehow took that as a diss to Carl. I can't see how you read it that way.

And about his company on the tour, well maybe it affected his decisions and maybe it didn't. But we do know that there was a meditators plane and a "Wilsons" plane on tour....so yeah. I'm sure his buddies and brothers presence may have ratcheted up his drug use (along with other factors).

Regardless, I think you owe Add Some an apology. Thank God you're no longer a moderator.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »

sdj...No apology required.  There is no misunderstanding. 

LOL THAT guy was a moderator?  LOL

LOL Oh my fucking belly!!! LOL

Nicko1234
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

Instead you somehow took that as a diss to Carl. I can't see how you read it that way.

And about his company on the tour, well maybe it affected his decisions and maybe it didn't. But we do know that there was a meditators plane and a "Wilsons" plane on tour....so yeah. I'm sure his buddies and brothers presence may have ratcheted up his drug use (along with other factors).

Regardless, I think you owe Add Some an apology. Thank God you're no longer a moderator.

I think he, quite rightly, took it as a diss towards someone else who was being blamed for Carl`s problems...Ron Altbach presumably.  Wink
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2015, 05:00:04 AM »

Well...it wasn't a diss toward someONE else.  It WAS a diss toward the ongoing situation that ran the group...almost into the ground...the situation that had them entering the stage through separate doors from opposite sides...hell...driving out to the stage in separate stretch limos when the stage was set up in the middle of a football field.

Coming in different planes CAN be explained simply by saying that the boys came from different parts of the country which was sometimes the case.  But when a man is going through personal hell and has to try to make it go away with drugs...'cause it's seemingly the only 'option'...there's something VERY wrong happening.  So we blame the result instead of the cause?

Not me.  People know what was going on.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2015, 07:01:49 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLWdQo-nTsw

Just watch this concert and see... especially during God Only Knows, and the intros to Country Pie and Surfer Girl... let's just say that when Dennis is the most lucid Wilson brother on stage, it's very concerning.
Dennis was awesome, and very much "in charge" in this video.  Love the POB plug from Carl...and YASB...would love to see that in the setlist.  Or even the "Rhonda" (or one of the other's) in the setlists. They are just fiery and golden moments for Dennis.  Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »

The guy had a bad day at work.  Not bad considering who he had to hang around with while trying to do his job.
I take that as having both that disruptive Dennis out there and the not ready for prime time Brian on that tour?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:28:51 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »

Do you?  And you would limit it to just that?  Just Dennis?  And Brian?   Remember I was never referring to someONE.  Man!!!  Gotta make sure he isn't talking about Mike!!!  Hell no!!!   It can't be Mike's fault.  Never let that sh*t go down here.

Mike, Dennis...ALL of them.  Nobody had Carl's back.  It was a f*** show.  Oars crossed.  Nobody pulling together.  Everybody out for themselves.  The fact that Carl was drowning?  Carl who?

Whoops!!!  Sorry.   Missed THAT.

Oh well.

And it all came down to 'that' why?  Maybe for some of the reasons why it is what it is today?  Maybe?  

Definitely.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:13:38 PM by Add Some » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »

Do you?  And you would limit it to just that?  Just Dennis?  And Brian?   Remember I was never referring to someONE.  Man!!!  Gotta make sure he isn't talking about Mike!!!  Hell no!!!   It can't be Mike's fault.  Never let that sh*t go down here.

Mike, Dennis...ALL of them.  Nobody had Carl's back.  It was a f*** show.  Oars crossed.  Nobody pulling together.  Everybody out for themselves.  The fact that Carl was drowning?  Carl who?

Whoops!!!  Sorry.   Missed THAT.

Oh well.

And it all came down to 'that' why?  Maybe for some of the reasons why it is what it is today?  Maybe? 

Definitely.
I knew who you were talking about. He wasn't hanging with a Teddy Bear. Carl had his hands full, that is for sure. At least back then even though they could play sloppy and such, while on tour I doubt that he had to worry about Mike, Al and Bruce as much as Brian & Dennis.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2015, 01:44:58 PM »

I think he had to worry about a stagnant pool of greed and vendettas and pay-backs and votes to gain control and a bunch of dinks who wanted to run the good ship no matter what the cost or who died while getting to that point and doing it.

I think Carl got stuck out in a leaky boat and no one noticed OR CARED that he was drowning.  I think that it was deemed that the Wilsons were no longer necessary nor needed.  Brian and Dennis were casualties and of little able-bodied ability to assist.  That Brian has somehow floated to the surface only to be re-recognized as the TRUE and ONLY dominant force that has ANYTHING to do with the creative end of anything relating to the Beach Boys is simply just.

No one in the Beach Boys helped Brian get back to dry land.  Just like they didn't help Carl when he needed them most. 

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »

Dennis was awesome, and very much "in charge" in this video.  Love the POB plug from Carl...and YASB...would love to see that in the setlist.  Or even the "Rhonda" (or one of the other's) in the setlists. They are just fiery and golden moments for Dennis.  Wink

Yeah, it's good to see. But there are other things behind the energy. He's enjoying himself, but if you look at his face it's obvious he's already begun his downward spiral. Damn sad.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »

Anybody know what Beach Boys were onstage at Milwaukee's Summerfest July 3rd 1975. That was my first Beach Boys show and I had only just discovered them through endless summer the year before so I really was not aware of who all the guys were. Mike was there for sure and I think Dennis and Carl. I've seen professional shots of Mike from that show that match the terrible pocket 110 Kodak pics my brother took. Mike is the only one you can make out cause of the silver jacket thing.

Also they had an afternoon and an evening set and during the evening set the sound blew out during the encore. Heavy rain between sets and I'm sure stuff got wet.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »

Probably would have been Carl, Dennis, Michael, and Al only.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx