gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:29:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When were The Beach Boys at their live performance peak?  (Read 7022 times)
OllieBop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »

Hi people, I'm a relative newbie to the board (so I apologise if this has been discussed on previous occasions) but when exactly were the live Beach Boys at their best?

Is there a tour or even a single show that is well recognised as being the zenith of The Beach Boys live performances?

If so where and when and why?

Cheers folks...

When you're down in New York City and the sky turns grey, nearly froze, think of Californ-I-A...
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »

1971-74. No contest.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »

1971-74. No contest.
OllieBop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »

Interesting, so I'm taking it that The Beach Boys In Concert is the best live album?

When you're down in New York City and the sky turns grey, nearly froze, think of Californ-I-A...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »

Yes.

Live In London is good too.

Anything from the early - mid 70's is the best. You're not gonna go wrong there.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »

It's gotta be the span from Sunflower to Holland right? So like 1970-mid 1974 or at least up until Endless Summer
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »

I really like the stripped down approach of the 1967 tour and the (slightly) beefed up sound of Live in London, so that stretch of time would be the sweet spot for me.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:32:39 AM »

They were really never bad as a live band (as long as Carl was in the lineup), so it depends on the sound and approach you like. They had several phases over the years, although they basically sounded the same from the mid-80s to Carl's death.

I've never been a breathless fan of their live incarnations, as it was largely done sans Brian, and they were not the kind of band that tried things out on the road. (Or varied interpretations that much.) But yes, the early 70s group hit a sweet spot of eclectic set lists, jammy playing and lots of Carl and Al leads. On the other hand, the early 90s box set theater shows are a must listen as well. Carl really gave his all for those.

Even the 60s stuff can't be dismissed -- they were a rockin small band, rushed tempos and all.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:35:17 AM by Wirestone » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 04:33:30 AM »

I really like the stripped down approach of the 1967 tour and the (slightly) beefed up sound of Live in London, so that stretch of time would be the sweet spot for me.
My first concerts were in 1967 so I'm partial to your mention.  There is a YouTube I found with the second performance in 1966 of GV (on the GV box set) which sounds like just the 5, and the UNICEF 1967, in Paris, which is spectacular, and showcases Carl's lead on GOK.  During that Paris show, in the shadows is a back-up group, and in late 1967, they started adding back-up guys to supplement their sound.

Love Live in London!  And Mikie and TRBB mention 73-4.  You cannot go wrong with that! Great DWB with Carl, Leaving this Town, You Still Believe in Me, Funky Pretty, The Trader, really Holland - Carl and the Passions heavy material, alongside the GH.  Love it!

But, I'd be hard put to say they ever had bad live shows.   Wink

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »

The Flame era without a doubt.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »

71-74 with Blondie & Ricky.  Some of the best live stuff ever from anyone...but completely overlooked.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »

Anytime while Carl Wilson was still alive and touring.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »

Anytime while Carl Wilson was still alive and touring.

Except 1978.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 10:12:19 AM »

1964 TAMI show

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »

Similar discussion here, in case you're interested:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16012.0.html
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »

KDS
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »

It would be nice to get an official live album from the GV box set tour. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 12:00:53 PM »

Maybe in 2043 when the copyright is about to expire? Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »

They peaked during the era when Mike was the dominant creative force in the group....and the tallest...and the smartest with the brightest future...and most often the girl's favourite...and the best looking...with the fullest head of hair.

No wait.  Not the "hair" part.

'coz THEN they NEVER would have reached their peak.  [but the rest is kosher...just like my keester]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna stretch the '71-'74 point a bit...say from about late 1971 'til 1977.  From when the Rieley influence took over and really became front and centre evident and instilled until his direct influence had worn off.  Primarily, as it turns out, while they were a man down.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »

71-75 were great years, probably their best as a live act. Middle 70's were good too, started to get more sloppy towards the late 70's/early 80's. The early 80's w/o Carl were bad....sometimes really bad. Once Carl returned, mid 80's until he passed, they sounded much better  and were pretty much on cruise control.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »

The fans who really know the best concert eras are the fans who were there. People who went to the concerts post 1967 – 70 (Live In London album) may think those years were the best. Fans who were there for concerts in the early 70’s (BB In Concert album) might think those were the best. Many who were there for the post 1974 through 1980 (Endless Summer and Knebworth albums) may think those were the best.

I was there for the early 70’s through the mid-90’s Beach Boys concerts.  I’ll say the best years for concerts, not only vocally but musicianship wise, were the early to mid 1970’s years (1971 to 1976). I had to include the 1975 Beachago and 1976 (Brian’s Back) tours. In addition to Carl, Al, Blondie, and Ricky, they had great sidemen in Dragon, Hinsche, Carter, Munoz, Figueroa, Peeler, and Guercio in the early 70’s that gave them a stellar, full band sound. And they were doing really good artsy-fartsy material back then. Dennis was standing up front with his head cocked and a finger in his ear, causing the women in the audience to get worked up. Mike Love did his Mick Jaggar imitation, strutting like a rooster across the stage. The guitar players were cookin' with gas and the rhythm section boogied like there was no tomorrow. Vocally, they were on the money.

Just a great, great time to be a fan back then.  Great times.  Well, I guess ya had to be there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:53:07 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »

They were really never bad as a live band (as long as Carl was in the lineup), so it depends on the sound and approach you like. They had several phases over the years, although they basically sounded the same from the mid-80s to Carl's death.

I've never been a breathless fan of their live incarnations, as it was largely done sans Brian, and they were not the kind of band that tried things out on the road. (Or varied interpretations that much.) But yes, the early 70s group hit a sweet spot of eclectic set lists, jammy playing and lots of Carl and Al leads. On the other hand, the early 90s box set theater shows are a must listen as well. Carl really gave his all for those.

Even the 60s stuff can't be dismissed -- they were a rockin small band, rushed tempos and all.

Funnily enough, I was listening to the Paramount 1993 show along with the rehearsals just last week. Why this hasn't been officially released outside of the the 2 tracks on MIC is anyone's guess? The sound quality is great. Does anyone know if multi-tracks for this show exist? Carl is simply brilliant at this show and the setlist is out of this world.... "Take A Load Off Your Feet", "Vegetables"..amazing!  

..and for my money, The Beach Boys ended as an entity with Carl's death. I'm glad I saw them when he was alive.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 12:57:39 PM »

The fans who really know the best concert eras are the fans who were there.

Just a great, great time to be a fan back then.  Great times.  Well, I guess ya had to be there.

Yup.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »

In terms of audience frenzy (and I can't speak to the 60s, having never seen them then), the highlight years for me were 1976-1977.  Huge, great band on stage, horns, Dennis in rare form starting the home stretch up front on Heroes & Villains and piano for Rhonda... from the audience it was out of control.  From the moment that Help Me Rhonda brass section intro peaked, followed by the full band kick into the song, the audience seemed to be one massive organism in a kind of (barely) controlled hysteria.  I've never seen or experienced anything quite like it since, except for the 2012 Hollywood Bowl reunion show.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 01:13:57 AM »

In terms of audience frenzy (and I can't speak to the 60s, having never seen them then), the highlight years for me were 1976-1977.  Huge, great band on stage, horns, Dennis in rare form starting the home stretch up front on Heroes & Villains and piano for Rhonda... from the audience it was out of control.  From the moment that Help Me Rhonda brass section intro peaked, followed by the full band kick into the song, the audience seemed to be one massive organism in a kind of (barely) controlled hysteria.  I've never seen or experienced anything quite like it since, except for the 2012 Hollywood Bowl reunion show.

Haha. I read that as 'massive orgasm'...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx