gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:16:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boy drug use...?  (Read 29837 times)
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 08:42:24 AM »

Al mentions in one of the books in 'Pet Sounds Sessions' box set that he wasn't invited to the playback sessions probably because he was too much of a goody and didn't want to smoke with them.
If he and Bruce did not do drugs it must have been hard to resist it being in the company of the rest of them who were, like in the tent for example.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »

Ever wonder why Dennis called Al a man waiting for a bus....?

I get the impression that in some way Al was always a bit of an outsider, esp. since he was a goody two shoes and not in the family.  But that also means that he had a stable financial setup and a stable life now as a result.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 09:03:02 AM »

Quote from: Andrew G. Doe
that's from a song called "Today", not "Time".  Cool

Yeah, you're correct. I knew the title didn't sound quite right when I typed it, but it was much too late at night to look it up. I know Carl didn't write the words, but they fit him much too well -- it becomes confessional in how he sings them. From what Phil Galdston says in his liner notes for the *Like a Brother* reissue, it sounds like he conferred with Carl on the lyrics.

LAB liner notes:
http://www.beachboysfanclub.com/lab.htm
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 10:13:04 AM »

Wasn't the copious drug use one of the reasons Bruce didn't go to Hawaii in 67? Turned out he was right.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 10:49:20 AM »

Wasn't the copious drug use one of the reasons Bruce didn't go to Hawaii in 67? Turned out he was right.

If so, why did he participate in Smiley Smile ?
I believe Bruce was gone fishing with a friend...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 10:51:32 AM »

Now that you mention it, are we sure that he did....?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 11:02:43 AM »

Now that you mention it, are we sure that he did....?

I believe there's a pic somewhere from the Smiley-sessions where Carl and Bruce are seen.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 11:14:50 AM »

That would be interesting to see, as I am not sure I have ever seen any pictures taken from the Smiley sessions.  Is there clear evidence to link those shots to Smiley as opposed to Wild Honey?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 11:44:28 AM »

Is there clear evidence to link those shots to Smiley as opposed to Wild Honey?

Nope....
I was thinking about the picture in the SS/WH-twofer where carl is holding the Rickenbacker...

- Jack Rieley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 12:01:37 PM »

That's Actually Smile era, from Western 3's control room.  Awesome picture.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 12:03:04 PM »

All of the pix I have seen of the home studio are from the later incarnations.  I don't think I have ever seen any pix from the recording of SS or WH, and those would be fascinating to see if they exist.
Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2006, 12:20:33 PM »

I remember reading Badman's account, as we know not always perfect or free of plagiarism, but it states under "Musicians present" during the Smiley Smile seesions...Al, Brian, Carl, Dennis, sometimes Mike, but never Bruce. Just from memory, anyway.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 02:40:57 PM »

I don't think Bruce is so innocent. You all know that his voice was on the sunshine psych-pop classic 45 "My World Fell Down" by Sagittarius (Usher/Boettcher). If you've heard that song, you'd know they are stoned on at least pot and probably LSD too.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 02:50:31 PM »

Hmmm, and if this were the case, I suppose Bruce's claim that the only BB album he's not on after he joined the band was MIU would still stand because he would've contributed vocals to Heroes and Villains and Good Vibes and...
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »

I don't think Bruce is so innocent. You all know that his voice was on the sunshine psych-pop classic 45 "My World Fell Down" by Sagittarius (Usher/Boettcher). If you've heard that song, you'd know they are stoned on at least pot and probably LSD too.

Why?  I just heard that album for the first time, and I don't hear signs that the vocalists were stoned while singing.  In fact, that doesn't sound at all like a drug song.  It may have been influenced by drugs, but that would be basically Gary Usher (Beottcher had nothing to do with it).  Glen Campbell was on it too -- are you saying he was on LSD while singing?  I have a hard time buying that.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »

Is Bruce on the "Our Prayer" session tape? 'Cause when Bri asks if they feel the acid, it sounds like Bruce replying. Although some speculate this is a put on....just like the Richard Nixon tapes, right?.....
MBE
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 06:38:39 PM »

I think Carl was the one who responded to the LSD. I have no doubt Our Prayer is genuine but Bruce did put out the first LSD 45 in 59 called LSD-25. I never heard it but he was a part of  the group (The Gamblers) who put it out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:53:45 PM by MBE » Logged
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2006, 07:27:15 PM »

I thought that this was a joke until I found this:

http://www.mountvernonandfairway.de/brucedis.htm

Shocked

I guess that the name can't really be coincidence.
XY
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 09:40:42 PM »

Isn't that Bruce singing "Close your eyes and lean back, listen to Wind Chimes" on SMILEY SMILE?
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2006, 10:01:06 PM »

Why?  I just heard that album for the first time, and I don't hear signs that the vocalists were stoned while singing.  In fact, that doesn't sound at all like a drug song.  It may have been influenced by drugs, but that would be basically Gary Usher (Beottcher had nothing to do with it).  Glen Campbell was on it too -- are you saying he was on LSD while singing?  I have a hard time buying that.
Have you heard the 45 version? Its obviously psych. If the A-side isn't evidence enough for you, listen to the fried out bongo/sitar instrumental that's on the B-side. Not LSD while singing, but its obvious that they've all used at least pot and probably lsd.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2006, 10:05:50 PM »

You can't tell if somebody has used drugs by listening to them sing.  Come on.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »

Glen Campbell used lots of drugs later in his career, mostly cocaine.  But that's when he was doing all those country songs.  No, I can't tell he was a cokehead when he sang "Southern Nights" or "Rhinestone Cowboy."
MBE
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2006, 10:52:24 PM »

I don't mean to say Bruce did LSD for sure but it is interesting how early that song is. I also do think it could be him on Wind Chimes but the voice who sings that is so twisted it could have been any of them except Dennis.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2006, 11:11:23 PM »

Have you heard the 45 version? Its obviously psych. If the A-side isn't evidence enough for you, listen to the fried out bongo/sitar instrumental that's on the B-side. Not LSD while singing, but its obvious that they've all used at least pot and probably lsd.

Soooo... because Bruce sings on a kinda psychadoozy song - once -  he's a raving acid head ?

That's the most fucking stupid piece of logic I've ever heard, and that includes anything ever posted on the Bloo.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2006, 11:26:13 PM »

Os Mutantes didnt touch acid until the seventies but listen to their first two albums (1968 and 1969), one of their albums is even called (something like) I Am Tripping (ando meio desligado = literally, i walk disconnected).

Steppenwolf were clean too.

Maybe Bruce did, maybe he didnt, it doesnt change the music.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx