gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:49:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 2, 1966 Billboard Magazine  (Read 2035 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »

I was perusing the “Top LPs” chart published in the July 2, 1966 issue of Billboard Magazine, the week when Pet Sounds peaked at #10,  when I saw the following, interesting advertisement for the album:

“Thank you. We’re moved over the fact that our Pet Sounds brought on nothing but Good Vibrations.”

The Good Vibrations single would not be released for another 3 months and I didn’t think that the term “good vibrations” was yet a part of the vernacular at that time.

Was this meant to be an early advertisement for the upcoming single?

The entire issue may be found here:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/60s/1966/Billboard%201966-07-02.pdf

The "Top LPs" chart is on page 36 and the subject ad is on page 39.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:15:26 PM »

I was perusing the “Top LPs” chart published in the July 2, 1966 issue of Billboard Magazine, the week when Pet Sounds peaked at #10,  when I saw the following, interesting advertisement for the album:

“Thank you. We’re moved over the fact that our Pet Sounds brought on nothing but Good Vibrations.”

The Good Vibrations single would not be released for another 3 months and I didn’t think that the term “good vibrations” was yet a part of the vernacular at that time.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/60s/1966/Billboard%201966-07-02.pdf

Fascinating. It seems likely it was an attempt (maybe by Derek Taylor's PR machine?) to get the term out there into the public consciousness as a sneak preview. But I too wonder, had the term GV ever been used at an earlier date? I'm going to guess the answer is yes. It just probably wasn't common. "Good Vibes" probably was more common than anyone saying "Good Vibrations" prior to the song being released. Anyone know more?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »

I didn’t think that the term “good vibrations” was yet a part of the vernacular at that time.
But I too wonder, had the term GV ever been used at an earlier date? I'm going to guess the answer is yes. It just probably wasn't common. "Good Vibes" probably was more common than anyone saying "Good Vibrations" prior to the song being released. Anyone know more?

'Good vibrations' was definitely a term.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »

GV may have been continually on the verge of coming out that Spring and Summer.

Bruce said in November 1966 to Rave mag: “Actually, ‘God Only Knows’ was prematurely released. We planned to release ‘Good Vibrations’ ahead of it, but Brian was disappointed with his tracks and we weren’t ready to do the vocals in time.”

And in the May 5 1966 iss of NME Bruce had replied  mysteriously to the question “What is the next single?":  "It’s already in the can and was written by Brian Wilson. It’s the fourteenth track on the 'Pet Animals' LP.“
NME 5/20/66

Brian and Derek Taylor both used the title as the name of the next single to Hit Parader and the other articles in the issue seem to be news from around June and July but it appeared in the October issue which probably didn't hit the stands until September maybe. The mention you show might be the first sly public use of the title.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:02:14 AM »

That was fantastic!  Thanks!

And a  Beer
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »

Well, seeings how the words "Good Vibrations" are in bold type AND both words are capitalized, I would say it was definitely intended as a plug for their upcoming single.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx