-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  There's no point to any of this, Cheese-Head.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: There's no point to any of this, Cheese-Head.  (Read 10175 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 06:23:07 PM »

I just read it again.

Is the meaning in the text implying that everything we can find and put meaning in is ultimately meaningless in comparison with God? Or is it that we should not worry for meaning but rather focus our thoughts on God and not simply the injustice that life offers to many and all?

OR is it the views of a man who has abandoned God in his mind and tried to find meaning without His lead? This would make the most sense to me as the reader of his words. That meaning cannot be found without God, and finding meaning without Him is "Meaningless, utterly meaningless!"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:30:41 PM by Atticus Finch » Logged

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 06:35:57 PM »

On the first three readings the Book of Ecclesiastes is the most depressing thing ever written speaking about life in general terms. After the fourth read I began to realize that a life so hopeless as the one described within the book cannot be what we really have with us.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 07:10:30 PM »

Ecclesiates was either written by King Solomon or else inspired by him (I think the former).  He was basically given everything that the world has to offer in his day.  There was a general peace, he had tons of money and built beautiful buildings, he had literally thousands of women to please him.  Ecclesiates is him looking back on his life at the end and realizing -- who cares?  He had lived according to the Scripture a good chunk of his life for himself and his pleasure -- and received nothing in return at the end.  Apart from God, he found no meaning to his life.  Ecclesiates is the ultimate comment by the Scripture on what a godless life yields -- vanity, emptiness.  You have to keep that in mind while reading it -- he was saying that life without God, spent on oneself (pleasure or work, hard or soft), was meaningless.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 07:15:31 PM »

Ecclesiates was either written by King Solomon or else inspired by him (I think the former).  He was basically given everything that the world has to offer in his day.  There was a general peace, he had tons of money and built beautiful buildings, he had literally thousands of women to please him.  Ecclesiates is him looking back on his life at the end and realizing -- who cares?  He had lived according to the Scripture a good chunk of his life for himself and his pleasure -- and received nothing in return at the end.  Apart from God, he found no meaning to his life.  Ecclesiates is the ultimate comment by the Scripture on what a godless life yields -- vanity, emptiness.  You have to keep that in mind while reading it -- he was saying that life without God, spent on oneself (pleasure or work, hard or soft), was meaningless.

That's what I came to understand after a few readings. I have to say that I think I have finally found the door welcoming my uncertainties and also offering explanations. This realization, offered also in this book, has affected me deeply. Thank you Jeff for offering your thoughts. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: