gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:51:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OT: Standing In the Shadows Of Motown CDs  (Read 2384 times)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:33:49 PM »

As a fan and conisseur of Beach Boys sessions for quite some time, I must recommend to everyone of this board the deluxe edition of the Standing In The Shadows of Motown 2CD set.  I went into it thinking "well, I'm not really a Motown fan" and came out hardly being able to put the CD down.  Disc two is chock full of backing tracks of hit Motown songs, played by absolutely incredible musicians.  If any of you haven't gotten it yet, I would HIGHLY recommend it!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 04:56:38 AM »

As a fan and conisseur of Beach Boys sessions for quite some time, I must recommend to everyone of this board the deluxe edition of the Standing In The Shadows of Motown 2CD set.  I went into it thinking "well, I'm not really a Motown fan" and came out hardly being able to put the CD down.  Disc two is chock full of backing tracks of hit Motown songs, played by absolutely incredible musicians.  If any of you haven't gotten it yet, I would HIGHLY recommend it!

Out of curiousity, can you tell from listening to it, or do the liner notes indicate, who the bassist is on any of the tracks?  Carol Kaye has claimed she played on lots of the Motown hits, but the evidence is pretty conclusive that it's James Jamerson.

Thanks,
Craig
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 09:09:23 AM »

The bassist to the Motown hits[/b] is stated on the relevant AFM contracts. Mostly it's Jamerson. Never is it Kaye. Carol is very fond of quoting AFM sheets to prove her point, hence I shall happily follow her lead in this instance.  angel
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 02:47:48 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »

Love the DVD. Great stories, but the highlight for me was seeing the footage of Jamerson and Earl Van Dyke playing with Stevie Wonder, and then Smokey Robinson. Wow, that was amazing!

All the evidence you need of the bass player is listening to the track. Jamerson has one of the most distinguishable bass styles; even someone who doesn't critically listen could tell the difference between Jamerson and someone else.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:44:39 PM »

Yep, great CD and DVD.  The "Hawthorne" and "Endless Harmony" of Motown.  The backing tracks are neat, and they do a little bit of what I've wished for on Beach Boys releases, they solo individual tracks periodically, so you can hear just Jamerson for a few moments, or just Papa Zita, or just "Chunk of Funk" or whoever.  Neat stuff.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »

One track to get people off their booties and pick up the 2-disc version of this: the stereo backing track (with backing vox) of The Spinners' "It's A Shame" (written, along with"Signed, Sealed and Delivered I'm Yours", by Stevie Wonder and songwriter Lee Garrett):

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2984A6643D564FF3
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx