gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:01:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 77 - 78, The Lost Years  (Read 5411 times)
AMDG
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:09:19 PM »

Watching some of the Australian concert footage I had some random thoughts -

The band of that era was way too big.  I count (besides the core group) a guitarist, at least 3 keyboard players (maybe 4, during 'Rhonda' there is a guy beyond ML sitting at a keyboard playing a tamborine), a bass player, a drummer and 6 horn players.  To make matters worse the arrangements appear to be straight out of Vegas.  The horns seem todrive the sing instead of sitting under it (plus, the fewer instuments on Surfer Girl the better - the best live version I have heard is the one on Roxy that is pretty much accoustic!).

I suspect the Love/Jardine alliance was based more on the Wilson's drug use than anything else.  Carl is a total mess.  It is unbelievable how different he looks two years later (Knebworth, Friday's & DC) where he is back in command and the best performer on stage.

Comparing the David Frost clips from '71 with the Austrailian clips is depressing as hell.  It is just like watching the clips of Elvis in '68 when he is sitting in a circle with his origianl band and comaring it to clips of him in 74, 75 and 76.
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 09:50:24 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

Only, at least Elvis still had power (Unchained Melody).

It depresses me that Beach Boys Love You was the last great Beach Boys album... just all fell down from there. Of course you got the Kokomo/Stamos/Full House era... *cough*

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
MBE
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:52:12 AM »

Not to turn this into an Elvis debate but he never gave a performance that bad. His CBS special in 77 may have him looking heavy but his voice was terrific. There were shows affected by his health or personal issues but he never went on stage but except for the summer of 1976 and some of 77 he was a consistent performer. After 12-31-76 may just have been his best show in half a decade.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 02:50:35 AM »

Can anyone point me at this footage?

“We live in divisive times.”
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 03:58:43 AM »

Well, you see, there is NO WAY that the footage will ever get released.  And what you saw was the far better moments of two nights, mostly the second show.  Had you seen show 1 in any detail, this argument would get a bit shaky.  When it was good (12/31/76), it was still great.  When it was bad.....

This has some snippets from that CBS TV special.  Filmed in June 1977, shown in October after he had died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFoAP6S8nHU&search=elvis%20live
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 04:09:48 AM »

Not used in the original special but from the same shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYxcGc5oZLs&search=elvis%20live%20presley

For contrast, 12/31/76:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJNMNz1Jf0&search=elvis%20live%20presley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 04:35:19 AM »

Well, you see, there is NO WAY that the footage will ever get released.  And what you saw was the far better moments of two nights, mostly the second show.  Had you seen show 1 in any detail, this argument would get a bit shaky.  When it was good (12/31/76), it was still great.  When it was bad.....

This has some snippets from that CBS TV special.  Filmed in June 1977, shown in October after he had died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFoAP6S8nHU&search=elvis%20live

Funny you should mention that...I've never seen the Elvis '77 special except when it originally aired, but I know some (or all) of the June footage is from Omaha.  My girlfriend was actually at that concert!

Craig
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 04:51:00 AM »

Very little was from Omaha -- that was the "bad" show, one of the worst Elvis had ever done according to the story.  The footage is circulating but I haven't seen it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 04:55:35 AM »

Very little was from Omaha -- that was the "bad" show, one of the worst Elvis had ever done according to the story.  The footage is circulating but I haven't seen it.

As a fan you should, but as someone who wants to remember Elvis for his greatness, you shouldn't. Though there are some great moments. I believe Elvis never did a show where every single song, performance was terrible. There was always some greatness in there

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 05:06:38 AM »

Not only have I seen both CBS shows and have them but I helped write a book about them
Sorry I go against the grain and say I like them. Even the 6-19 has some great vocal moments "How Great Thou Art" and some sincere moments of Elvis talking about J.D. Sumner. Elvis' drug use was of a different sort then The Beach Boys. He wasn't doing them for "fun". He never was completely zonked on stage. Even College Park has its moments.
The 12-31 is worlds better then the CBS though. Elvis at his very best.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 05:09:13 AM »

Whoops, when I meant can anyone point me at the footage, I meant the Beach Boys footage!

“We live in divisive times.”
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 05:09:51 AM »

Whats that late era (Summer 77?) concert when he's playing something on the piano, I think its Unchained Melody, he plays it like he knows he's going to die. Its very compelling.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 05:39:06 AM »

It's from the CBS-Special. I don't know at the moment if it was Rapid City or Omaha. It's the pure pain coming out of him. No wonder he had to die soon after. Just listen to that....

I guess one thing with the Beach Boys is that they are a band. So if someone was stoned they could have hidden him. Except for Carl and Mike who where on stage-leaders. That's why it's emphasized in Australia, 'cause Carl and Mike where in the spotlight....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 07:13:18 AM »

It's from 6-21 and actually the raw tapes show the band joining in half way through This was edited out because Elvis sounded so good solo. The 45 from 1978 was a hit on the Country charts and has the live arrangment with additional overdubbs.
With the Aussie thing I still find it amazing that Dennis is the one Wilson who seems (more or less) with it.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 06:53:09 AM »

I suspect the Love/Jardine alliance was based more on the Wilson's drug use than anything else. 

If it could even be called an alliance, more like who is comfortable or engaging to each other in what state of sobriety imo.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 08:00:36 AM »

I suspect the Love/Jardine alliance was based more on the Wilson's drug use than anything else. 

If it could even be called an alliance, more like who is comfortable or engaging to each other in what state of sobriety imo.

Yeah, I have to think that subsequent events have proven that any "alliance" between Mike and Al was pretty shaky.  And Carl and Dennis had their fights as well (witness the Surf's Up track lineup).  But there is truth to the fact that the sober ones worked together out of self-preservation as opposed to any grand scheme of alliance.  But it was more for that self-preservation, though...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 09:04:15 AM »

It's interesting that this thread would be titled 77-78, The Lost Years. It implies a negative connotation. In reality it was, but back then, IT DIDN'T SEEM LIKE IT!

The Beach Boys Love You came out in the spring of 1977 and most fans (and critics) were exclaiming that Brian was NOW really back, at least as a composer and arranger. I was so optimistic.

In the fall of 1977, Dennis released POB, which, of course, is a classic. So much new music was coming out. I ignored the infamous Rolling Stone article.

Every time I saw Brian in concert or on TV, he was losing more weight. His hair was washed, his beard was full, and he was wearing these Adidas warm-up suits and sneakers. He looked great, his arms and legs were almost skinny.

In the summer of 1978, Mike Love and Celebration released the single (and album), "Almost Summer", with music written by Brian Wilson! If you were a BB fan, this song sounded great on AM radio; I believe it went Top 30. And to promote it, Brian appeared with Mike on American Bandstand. This was exciting stuff.

In 1978, the group was still a big concert draw. In concert, Brian was playing the bass more often. The horn section was starting to disappear, replaced by the great Charles Lloyd. Karen Lamm was appearing on stage for encores. The Beach Boys were touring with Jan & Dean. BB life was good.

Then MIU came out. I know many people are critical of this album. But I always had an appreciation for it, just for Brian's vocal contributions alone. After BW's disastrous lead vocals on 15 Big Ones and Love You, I was holding my breath. But from his opening falsetto on "She's Got Rhythm" to the "won't last forever" line from "Winds Of Change", I was very happy, almost relieved. I remember the first time I listened to MIU, and going "Yes!" I really thought Brian was coming back. I thought, "Now, if they could just combine the material from Love You with the vocals from MIU, we just might have something." I guess it wasn't meant to be.

We now know that some good (and not so good) stuff was recorded in 77-78 that never or eventually came out. Those songs were lost somewhere in that time period, as was the Beach Boys' momentum.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 10:06:24 AM »

I agree Sheriff, putting an exclamation point on the non-alliances.

I suppose self-preservation applies in a sense, since it was a group of selfs but I see it as group preservation with hard choices being considered by some because others of the group couldn't or didn't even seem interested in behavior that would preserve themselves let alone the group, though that did change for some. But I could be wrong.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 01:43:22 PM »

When I said "self-preservation", I meant the group as self as much as the five individuals.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 06:31:44 AM »

<<I ignored the infamous Rolling Stone article.>>

I don't know what this refers to.

Can someone enlighten me?

Glenn
MBE
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »

The Beach Boys broke up in 77 and a Rolling Stone reporter saw it happen. It is a great article and to me they never really got back together afterwards.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »

The Beach Boys broke up in 77 and a Rolling Stone reporter saw it happen. It is a great article and to me they never really got back together afterwards.

Anyone know how I can read this article?  Would it be available online?

Glenn
MBE
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »

I got it from my library on an article loan request. If you read Stebbins book and the Gaines you have most of the info.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »

I'll try to relay the article from memory, but it's been decades since I read it. Anyone can feel free to correct me...

The Beach Boys just got done playing a free concert on Labor Day(?), September 3, 1977 in Central Park. The guys were just about to board their airplanes (I don't know if they were flying to the next concert or back to L.A.), when a huge argument broke out - literally on the runway.

I believe it was mostly Mike against Dennis, or maybe it was "the meditators" (Mike & Al) against "the partiers" (Dennis & Carl). Anyway, the debate was about who Brian was going to fly with. I believe Brian was silent; I don't remember any quotes from him.

I think Brian ended up flying with Mike and Al. I do remember Dennis saying (and I'm paraphrasing), "Today's the day The Beach Boys broke up. On Al Jardine's birthday". There was a Rolling Stone reporter there who was recording the whole mess.

I may be confusing this part with other articles I've read (it's been many years), but I think there was a lot of screaming and profanity; and basically each Beach Boy questioning the merits of one another, and, of course, what's best for Brian.

It was an embarrassing article. I was very upset by it because I was still basking in The Beach Boys Love You, and I thought Brian and the band were moving forward. Obviously, it didn't turn out that way.

One more quick note - When Mike Love & Celebration (with Brian!) appeared on American Bandstand in 1978,  Dick Clark introduces the group by saying, "You hear all these silly rumors about The Beach Boys breaking up..." - I believe it was the Rolling Stone article that started the whole thing in motion. And David Leaf's book was right on the heels of that...
MBE
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 05:33:04 PM »

Grin
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:48:09 PM by MBE » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx