gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:40:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capitol Press Release for "Pet Sounds" 40th Anniversary & "GV" CD Single  (Read 9880 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »

For Immediate Release

THE BEACH BOYS PET SOUNDS AND “GOOD VIBRATIONS”
40TH ANNIVERSARIES FETED BY CAPITOL / EMI

COMMEMORATIVE, LIMITED-EDITION CD SINGLE, DELUXE CD/DVD AND DOUBLE COLORED VINYL RELEASES TO MARK SILVER ANNIVERSARIES

“Good Vibrations: 40th Anniversary” CD Single, In Stores June 27, Features Five Versions of the Timeless 1966 Smash Hit and Its Original U.S. B-Side

Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary Deluxe CD/DVD Package Includes Mono, Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes, Plus Rare & Previously Unreleased Promotional and Documentary Footage; Double Colored Vinyl, Limited and Numbered, Presented in Deluxe Gatefold Sleeve

Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary CD/DVD and Double Vinyl In Stores: August 29

“It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water… I love the album so much. I’ve just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life — I figure no one is educated musically ‘til they’ve heard that album.”
- Paul McCartney

Hollywood, California – June 13, 2006 – The Beach Boys’ seminal 1966 album Pet Sounds and classic #1 hit single “Good Vibrations” both celebrate 40th anniversaries this year. Capitol/EMI Music Catalog Marketing will celebrate the four-decade milestones of one of popular music’s most influential and universally-acclaimed albums and truly iconic singles with commemorative anniversary releases. “Good Vibrations: 40th Anniversary,” a limited-edition CD single, will be released physically and digitally on June 27. Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary will be released on August 29 in two configurations. The deluxe, limited-edition suede-feel CD/DVD digipak features the classic album in Mono, Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res 96kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo mixes, rare and previously unreleased promotional and documentary film footage, and a photo gallery of classic band images from the era. A deluxe, double colored vinyl package, limited to 10,000 numbered copies worldwide, presents Mono and Stereo mixes of Pet Sounds in a gatefold sleeve.

"Pet Sounds is a landmark album. For me to say that I was enthralled would be an understatement. I had never heard such magical sounds, so amazingly recorded. It is a timeless and amazing recording of incredible genius and beauty." – Elton John

Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys’ 12th studio album is universally hailed as one of the most important recordings of all time. Since its original May 16, 1966 release, the studio masterpiece has reigned at the top of countless critic and fan polls, and four decades later, the visionary album maintains its timeless rank as one of popular music’s most-cited influences. More than 100 domestic and international publications and journalists have lauded Pet Sounds as one of the greatest albums ever recorded. In 1995, Pet Sounds topped MOJO magazine’s special issue “The Greatest Albums of All Time” at #1 while in 2003, Rolling Stone magazine listed Pet Sounds at #2 out of the “500 Greatest Albums of All Time.”

Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary deluxe, limited-edition suede-feel CD/DVD digipak package includes a CD with mono and stereo mixes of the original album and a bonus mono track, “Hang On To Your Ego” (an early version of the album’s “I Know There’s An Answer”), recorded during the Pet Sounds sessions but not included in the album’s original tracklist. The DVD’s six film and video cuts include a behind-the-scenes documentary, “The Making Of Pet Sounds;” “Pet Stories,” featuring interviews with Brian Wilson, lyricist Tony Asher and members of the original “wrecking crew” Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Don Randi, Frankie Capp and Tommy Morgan; the never-before-released 1966 promotional color ‘firehouse’ film clip for “Good Vibrations;” original 1966 promotional black & white film clips for “Sloop John B” and Pet Sounds, and an excerpt from the unreleased BBC television documentary, “Rhythm of Life,” in which Sir George Martin joins Brian Wilson in the studio for a discussion of the album’s musical significance. Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary’s DVD also contains a photo gallery set to the classic music of “God Only Knows” and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo audio mixes of the album plus a Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Mono mix of bonus track “Hang On To Your Ego.”

Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary’s commemorative double colored vinyl, limited to 10,000 numbered copies worldwide, is sure to become a highly prized collectible for fans. Presented in a deluxe gatefold sleeve, the album’s mono mix on yellow vinyl is complemented by the stereo mix on green vinyl.

“Good Vibrations,” named the “#1 Greatest Single of All Time” by MOJO magazine and the “#6 Greatest Song of All Time” by Rolling Stone magazine, is a timeless musical treasure. The “Good Vibrations: 40th Anniversary” CD single, presented in a limited edition digipak, features five different versions of the timeless Beach Boys hit, including the original 45 single version, an edit of the song with elements from various sessions, an alternate studio take, an instrumental and a live version from a Honolulu rehearsal in August, 1967 that was originally intended for the lost album Lei’d in Hawaii, as well as the single’s original U.S. B-side, “Let’s Go Away For Awhile.” The single’s original U.S. cover art appears on the front of the CD single, with various international single covers replicated within the package.

“Good Vibrations - 40th Anniversary” Limited Edition CD Single
1. Good Vibrations (45 version)
2. Good Vibrations (edit culled from various sessions)
3. Good Vibrations (alternate studio take)
4. Good Vibrations (instrumental)
5. Good Vibrations (live Honolulu, HI rehearsal - August 25, 1967)
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile (original “Good Vibrations” single B-side)

Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary Limited Edition CD/DVD
CD
Mono Mix Stereo Mix
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice 15. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe In Me 16. You Still Believe In Me
3. That's Not Me 17. That's Not Me
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) 18. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I'm Waiting For The Day 19. I'm Waiting For The Day
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile 20. Let's Go Away For Awhile
7. Sloop John B 21. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows 22. God Only Knows
9. I Know There's An Answer 23. I Know There's An Answer
10. Here Today 24. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times 25. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds 26. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline No 27. Caroline No
Bonus Track (Mono)
14. Hang On To Your Ego

DVD
1. THE MAKING OF PET SOUNDS (behind-the-scenes documentary featuring interviews with Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Bruce Johnston and Tony Asher)
2. PET STORIES (Brian Wilson, Tony Asher, Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Don Randi, Frankie Capp and Tommy Morgan reflect on the Pet Sounds sessions and songs, the album’s original release and its legacy)
- The Greatest Album Of All Time…
- The Songs
- 'Caroline, No'
- 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'
- 'God Only Knows'
- 'Sloop John B'
- 'I Know There's An Answer'
- 'You Still Believe In Me'
- On All 8 Cylinders…
- The Vocals
- Competition With The Beatles
3. RHYTHM OF LIFE: Sir George Martin & Brian Wilson in the Studio (never-before-released BBC TV documentary excerpt)
4. GOOD VIBRATIONS (unreleased 1966 color ‘firehouse’ promo film)
5. SLOOP JOHN B (1966 black & white promo film)
6. PET SOUNDS (1966 black & white promo film)
7. PHOTO GALLERY (“God Only Knows” audio synched to photo gallery)
* DVD also contains Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo audio mixes of Pet Sounds + Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Mono audio mix of bonus track “Hang On To Your Ego”

Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary double colored vinyl (ltd. to 10,000 numbered copies worldwide)
Mono Mix (yellow vinyl) Stereo Mix (green vinyl)
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice 1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe In Me 2. You Still Believe In Me
3. That's Not Me 3. That's Not Me
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) 4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I'm Waiting For The Day 5. I'm Waiting For The Day
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile 6. Let's Go Away For Awhile
7. Sloop John B 7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows 8. God Only Knows
9. I Know There's An Answer 9. I Know There's An Answer
10. Here Today 10. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times 11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds 12. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline No 13. Caroline No

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »

The CD/DVD "Pet Sounds" package sure sounds like the standard 2001 CD in a box with a slightly altered version of the 2003 DVD-Audio disc. The only thing I think might be new is some of the video bonus footage on the DVD.

I know the original "Pet Sounds" promo film and the "Sloop John B" promo film were on the DVD-A. The DVD-A also had the 1996 "Pet Sounds Sessions" EPK on it, and I'm wondering if that is what one of those documentaries on this new DVD is. The "Good Vibrations" promo film is new to DVD, but was aired a number of times a few years ago on the AMC channel (I'm assuming this is that version).

The "Pet Stories" is presumably new to DVD, although I'm wondering if they're reusing footage from the Brian Wilson "Pet Sounds Live" DVD for this.

So the only apparent new material here is the "Rhythm of Life" excerpt, the "GV" promo film, and maybe one or both of the mini-documentaries.

What I'm wondering is if the this DVD is going to be a standard DVD or a DVD-Audio as well.

As usual, this stuff all sounds just tempting enough to pick up even though there's not much new here. Not even the "duophonic" version that apparently is getting a release in Japan.

Can Alan Boyd fill us in on any more details on this release, specifically, what is new to this version? Don't worry, I'm not going to whine more about the release; I'm really interested in what is new here.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:36:57 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 01:37:11 PM »

No new 7" vinyl?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:59:34 PM »

I initially couldn't remember the title of the documentary on the BW "Pet Sounds Live" DVD. I just checked it, and the title is "Pet Stories." So presumably, unless they've just picked the same title again, the "Pet Stories" on this new PS 40th Anniversary set is flown in from the "Pet Sounds Live" DVD.

My best guess would be that the other documentary is the Pet Sounds Sessions EPK found on the previous DVD-Audio, but I don't know that for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is probably not something that had a big budget for new material, and Capitol just wants to promote the 40th anniversary of these things. I just wish that these things would either have no new material, or a substantial amount of new material. I don't mind purchasing the same thing over and over if something substantial is added, and I don't mind passing on something if the only new addition is the packaging. But now how else do I get the "GV" promo film on DVD? Oh wait, I'm whining again. No matter, I'm still quite excited by the upcoming work Alan Boyd and co. are doing with the beachboyscentral.com website! Smiley

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 02:24:31 PM »

Good thing I waited on purchasing the Pet Sounds DVD-A and the Pet Sounds Live dvd (even though the live concert isnt on this cd/dvd combo) so I'm definately getting the 40 Anniversary collections of both Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations single.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 02:50:37 PM »

and an excerpt from the unreleased BBC television documentary, “Rhythm of Life,” in which Sir George Martin joins Brian Wilson in the studio for a discussion of the album’s musical significance.

This, of course, is complete nonsense - the documentary was shown on BBC in the UK and has also been aired in the US.  Brian watches George remix "GOK" and tells him it's now better than when he - Brian - did the original mix. Yeah... right.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 02:55:59 PM »

You can see that video on youtube btw...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 03:55:45 PM »

Peter Blake art???
MBE
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 04:14:08 PM »

No new 7" vinyl?

Yeah there should be a !2 inch or an EP of the Vibes single. Plust the two LP set should have a few outtakes. In fact I wish the whole Pet Sounds Box was on record.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »

Did they do a new mono mix/stereo mix for the 40th anniversary of Pet Sounds or is it the same mixes from 2001?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 06:34:16 PM »

Did they do a new mono mix/stereo mix for the 40th anniversary of Pet Sounds or is it the same mixes from 2001?

I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt new mixes were done, especially for mono or stereo. Presumably it's the original mono mix, and I doubt they would need to re-do the stereo mix either. In fact, given that the tracklisting for this CD matches the 2001 CD two-fer, I wouldn't be surprised if what we get is the exact same two-fer PS CD, just stuck inside the new 40th Anniversary digipak or whatever this new packaging is. They did the same thing with the "Sights and Sounds of Summer" package; the actual CD is the exact pressing as the standard "Sounds of Summer", right down to matrix numbers, etc. They just run the same CD off and put it into two different packages.

They've also already done the 5.1 mixes for the 2003 DVD-Audio, so I doubt the 5.1 mixes needed to be done again either. I would normally tend to think that the new anniversary package would also simply grab a 2003 DVD-A disc and stick that in the package as well. But it sounds like the content of this new DVD has been slightly altered from what was on the 2003 DVD-A. Also, there's no mention of the anniversary DVD actually being a DVD-Audio disc, just a "DVD" with 5.1 mixes included.

NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 07:49:57 PM »

Well, I guess I have to buy this for the Good Vibes promo film (which I still haven't seen, believe it or not!). How long is it?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 08:24:57 PM »

Well, I guess I have to buy this for the Good Vibes promo film (which I still haven't seen, believe it or not!). How long is it?
I'd imagine it would be the same length as the song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 08:25:57 PM »

Grin

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 01:05:06 AM »

For the experts...

how many promo films are there really? I am still confused by the bits from the American Band film where they paired video and audio in an almost random manner...

I would love to see all the Pet Sounds era promo films in their original form. The one with the masks in the forest...that should be "I Just Wasn"t Made For These Times" or "That"s Not Me"?

Too bad that those are not on the DVD of the new Pet Sounds release. But GV and SJB are better than nothing, I guess.Smiley
MBE
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 02:00:01 AM »

I think the Pet Sound 66 promo is on there. Not counting that I have seen original promo for Good Vibrations (2 versions) Heroes, Friends, Do It Again I Can Hear Music, Here Comes The Night, Good Timin, Getcha Back, Its Getting Late, California Dreamin, Wpieout, Happy Endings, Kokomo, Still Crusin, Somewhere Near Japan Problem Child, Crocodile Rock, and Hot Fun.
peeping tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 02:46:49 AM »

Also Summer Of Love. (brrrrrrrr!  Shocked)
XY
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 02:54:07 AM »

Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes

4.1 to be exact Wink

I hope they changed the lyric screens and added PS era photos instead of 1964 pics. I noticed that the 1997 color "Sloop John B" promo film is missing on this new release.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 04:05:35 AM »

Surely Pet Sounds and GV 40th anniversary releases are building up to a Smile sessions release early 2007. Now that actually would be worthwhile - heaps of rare and unreleased tracks, you could pad it out with photos, the original book, the surf's up footage - It has to be as, if not more, commerically viable than releasing Pet Sounds again. After all, the strongest market for the above releases, i.e. BB fans, clearly owns most of this stuff already.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MBE
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 05:08:35 AM »

Summer Of Love was for a show specifically but it was shot like a video as was the Stamos Forever. Both ugh!
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 07:58:10 AM »

and an excerpt from the unreleased BBC television documentary, “Rhythm of Life,” in which Sir George Martin joins Brian Wilson in the studio for a discussion of the album’s musical significance.

This, of course, is complete nonsense - the documentary was shown on BBC in the UK and has also been aired in the US.  Brian watches George remix "GOK" and tells him it's now better than when he - Brian - did the original mix. Yeah... right.

Andrew, I didn't take this to mean that the "Rhythm Of Life" documentary hasn't been shown on TV, but that it has never been released on DVD.  So, since you can't buy it at your favorite DVD store, it is therefore unreleased?

Love and merci,  Dan Lega
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 08:11:39 AM by Dan Lega » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 08:48:47 AM »

Unreleased - "adj : not (or not yet) made available for distribution or publication".

I'd say that the British Broadcasting Corporation made it available for distribution. Hmmmm ?  Wall

Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 05:39:15 PM »

Andrew, I didn't take this to mean that the "Rhythm Of Life" documentary hasn't been shown on TV, but that it has never been released on DVD.  So, since you can't buy it at your favorite DVD store, it is therefore unreleased?

It may not be perfectly defined as "unreleased," but I believe you have perfectly understood what was meant, Dan.  "Unreleased" as in I can't own a copy of it... yet.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 12:33:36 AM »

If you've not got a copy yet Charles, either you're not trying hard enough, or you're making a stand against copyright infringement.  Cool

Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 04:20:32 AM »

or you're making a stand against copyright infringement.  Cool

I'd be telling a lie if I said "yes" to that.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx