gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:00:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracklisting Now Available for "Good Vibrations" CD Single  (Read 5459 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:07:45 PM »

According to Amazon.com, this is the tracklisting for the upcoming CD single reissue of "Good Vibrations":

1. Good Vibrations (original 45 RPM single version) 
2. Good Vibrations (various sessions) 
3. Good Vibrations (alternate take, unreleased in the U.S.) 
4. Good Vibrations (instrumental) 
5. Good Vibrations (live concert rehearsal, 8/25/67) 
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile (original B-Side) 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »

Ok   

Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:11:59 PM »

What's track 3? Has it been booted?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:15:10 PM »

The fact that it states it is unreleased in the US suggests it has been released elsewhere. Can anybody thing of an alternate take that has been released in other countries but not the U.S.?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 04:23:47 PM »

The fact that it states it is unreleased in the US suggests it has been released elsewhere. Can anybody thing of an alternate take that has been released in other countries but not the U.S.?

The Rarities CD was only released in Japan.  I would bet money it is that Rarities track (despite the LP getting released in the US) and that the lineup is only partially correct.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »

The "Rarities" version is the first thing I thought of, but I assumed the wording would then be "first time on CD in the US", since of course it was issued on vinyl (and cassette) in the US.

It's very true that this may not be a completely accurate tracklisting, as they often change from what first appears on Amazon.

Mark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:33:05 PM »

Naturally, and as usual, I'm most anxious to see what the deal is with the channels on the instrumental.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 04:48:20 PM »

I'm interested to see, since Capitol is apparently hyping the GV CD single as well as some sort of additional Pet Sounds reissue, how they could possibly come up with something else for yet another "Pet Sounds" reissue, apart from the possibility of a better generation tape for the mono mix (which could be substantial, or not).

Wasn't there one alternate mix of one track on the 1999/2001 single disc PS CD reissue that hadn't been released before? Can somebody refresh my memory on that? I know the 2001 version had the Mike bridge on WIBN added back in, but wasn't one of the bonus tracks an alternate/new mix?

mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 05:23:29 PM »

CD Universe has a July release on a Japanese PS CD that is "Duophonic & Stereo."

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7225013&style=music&cart=352436265&BAB=E
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 06:42:16 PM »

Well, the "duophonic" fake stereo mix would be something new, technically when it comes to CD. Perhaps Capitol has been motivated by the Beatles "Capitol Albums" sets, which include some of the fake stereo/duophonic type material. I have to admit I am actually mildly interested in hearing what the "duophonic" version sounded like.

If they are only doing "Pet Sounds" again to push it for a 40th anniversary, then maybe they should just take the current CD and stick it in a new "40th Anniversary Edition" slipcase. That way, recording completists won't have to shell out again for it.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 09:48:54 PM »

... don't expect them to go out of their way to make sure completists WON'T have to buy it. 
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 10:41:14 PM »

About the only thing they could do with Pet Sounds at this point would be to make a DVD with all of the discrete multi-tracks from the remix available to play around with and study.  That's probably wishful thinking though. 

A Vinyl repressing in mono wouldn't be a bad idea either.  In fact I'm curious as to what was mentioned about Vinyl reissues later this year.  Any word yet on those?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 08:48:24 AM »

Hopefully track 4, the instrumental, will be a new true stereo mix of the track - Good Vibrations box set instrumental version was only partially in stereo (either the verses or choruses were not instereo, can't remember which right now).

It's too bad they didn't include the two earlier, complete instrumental takes that wereon the Sea of Tunes GV box set.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 09:25:26 AM »

is the rehearsal version the lei'd in hawaii cut from Hawthorne?

i like that the cover is the original single cover

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 11:27:27 AM »

Even though I don’t think I’d buy another copy of Pet Sounds (unless there turns out to be substantial “new” material involved), I think we’d all better shell out the money and make this baby sell big. See, I figure if we show a lot of interest Capitol will be even more inclined to lean on Camp Wilson to okay a Smile Sessions Box for 2007. Hopefully plans are already in motion and Alan Boyd is lining up the tapes as we speak…..And Bruce and Al are handing over the acetates. There’s gotta be something new to give us that we haven’t heard. Like…the April ’67 version of Wonderful in it’s entirety, or whatever there is in the can. 

I am very excited by the pictures of the reunion. It was nice to see. I don’t think it will amount to anything, but it’s nice just the same.  Hopefully there will be more interesting releases coming down the line, either from Capitol or the Beach Boys website. We need another rarities set. Lots of gold from the 70’s waiting to see the light.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 11:55:45 AM »

Lots of gold from the 70’s waiting to see the light.

My god yes

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 10:41:57 PM »

Now that the tracklist for the GV EP has been announced , I  wanted to add that the various sessions track (cut #2)  and master track (cut #4) are in true stereo for the first time. Track #3 is indeed the version from Rarities (in mono).

Mark Linett
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 06:28:37 AM »

Why did they choose to stop with an EP? Could have made full length CD of sessions. Would have been neat. Like a mini-Pet Sounds Sessions box. Maybe they are hoping to crack the singles chart....possible in the UK....USA? They have no taste. Trust me, I'm an American. Why listen to Good Vibrations when The Pussycat Dolls have a new song on the radio? Dontcha Baby....
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 07:26:45 AM »

agreed the usa have no taste...i mean, even brian knows that, look at who got smile first

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 11:06:39 AM »

The Good Vibrations sessions on Hawthorne were billed as being in stereo for the first time - I hope these will be different sessions than were already on that CD?

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 01:08:24 PM »

Yeah, I'd like a 20 minute sequence of unused bits.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx