gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:23:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meeting Brian Wilson  (Read 31845 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »

This is for Custom Machine, Alan, and I think Sam, who asked for it a couple of years ago. This is a true story. No names have been changed to protect the guilty.

I have been a Beach Boys fan since 1970. A friend of mine at school played his older brother’s “All Summer Long” album one day in his basement. I kept asking him to put the needle back on “I Get Around” over and over until he told me he’d had enough. I went down and bought the single the next day. Then I found “Greatest Hits Vol. 1” at a flea market for some change. Then I heard “Good Vibrations” on the radio and bought that single and played it to death. After that, I picked up the “Carl & The Passions/Pet Sounds” dual package at the flea market for $2.00. I was confused a little bit about the band members and the difference in the music, but I gave both albums equal playing time on the stereo, going to sleep at night with the headphones on as the needle lifted off the record after “Caroline No” and “Cuddle Up”.

As soon as school was out back in the Summers of 1974 and 1975, my friend Tim and I drove down to Los Angeles to hit the beaches, find good looking surfer girls, and visit Beach Boys sites. During this time, he and I were competitive in collecting original Beach Boys and Beatles records, including all the albums and singles. We went to many record stores (especially used and collector’s ones) and actually had foot races to the “B” section of the store after parking the car. We usually received weird looks doing this. We went by the places we knew were old haunts of The Beach Boys; the Wilson house at 3701 W. 119th , the Love house at Mt. Vernon & Fairway, Foster’s Freeze on Hawthorne Blvd, United Western Recorders at 6000 Sunset Blvd., and Gold Star Studios (unfortunately it was closed). We went over to the Capitol Tower and parked in the parking lot, which covered the Capitol Records echo chamber and the site of the “Shut Down Vol. II” album cover shot, in addition to the site of the great monthly record collector’s swap meets in the 70’s. We cooled our heels in the foyer for awhile like Murry Wilson did, but couldn’t get in. More than likely, Voyle Gilmore was probably hiding under his desk from us. We walked over to The Beach Boys business offices at 1654 North Ivar near Hollywood & Vine, where we were provided with a couple of large Beach Boys “Surf’s Up” promo posters and WB press kits. We walked down the street to Wallach’s Music City and picked up some original Sea Of Tunes sheet music, and stopped by The Record Collector in Hollywood and Music Man Murray’s in Downey, and picked up a couple of rare records. We looked for the old site of the Radiant Radish but couldn’t find it. We also stopped by Dick Clark’s office on Sunset, (where I absconded a small reel to reel tape of the interview with Spring off of a table) without asking. Bad boy.

June of 1976. We were on a mission.We drove down to L.A. and stopped by Kittyhawk Graphics on Sunset to visit Dean Torrence and had a long conversation with him about Jan & Dean and The Beach Boys, especially Brian Wilson. He had a lot of stories to tell. Dean showed us his new design and mock-ups of the new Beach Boys album cover for “15 Big Ones”. He gave me a "Legendary Masked Surfers" picture sleeve for the single "Gonna Hustle You" as a ‘souvenir’ of our visit. We then stopped by Brother Studio at 1454 5th St. in Santa Monica. At first, we weren’t sure if we were there – no signs in the front; just an unassuming building made of brick, wood paneling, and a couple of windows with closed curtains. We went into the parking lot in the rear and saw a BSA motorcycle parked outside near the back door. On the sidewalk at the entrance to the locked door was a “Surfin’ USA” gold record embedded in the concrete. Only then were we sure we must be at Brother Studio. We knocked on the door many times, but unfortunately no one answered. It was late, so we figured everyone had gone home for the day, but the only band member who drove a motorcycle was Dennis, so maybe he was recording. Damn, if only we had waited around a little longer!

At the time, we were real interested in the recording process and wanted to meet and talk with a recording engineer about how they do their job; maybe find a career in the recording business. We decided to visit the RCA building, where some legendary recording studios are. Tim and I walked into the lobby of RCA like business professionals. We waited around until we saw the security guard temporarily step away from his post at the lobby elevator. One of the receptionists was distracted talking to someone, so we made a beeline into the elevator and immediately pushed the button to go up. We had the guts of burglars. Luckily, nobody yelled or chased us. We got out of the elevator on a randomly selected upper floor, snooped around, and came across a mastering lab. Oh boy, oh boy! Like kids in a candy store. We stepped gingerly into the room as if we worked there and watched a gentleman in the process of mastering an album. Real nice guy, and he told us what he was working on and for what artist. I asked him if he’d by chance ever worked on a Beach Boys album before. He says, “Yeah, in fact, I think Brian Wilson is downstairs right now in Studio A”. What??!! We said thanks to the engineer and zipped out the door and downstairs to the ground floor, asking people along the way where Studio A was. This was where Elvis, The Stones, and The Monkees recorded! Just as we were approaching Studio A in the hallway, a big guy who looked like a bear was coming out the door. The only way we could have recognized him was from an artist’s rendition in a Crawdaddy magazine article a month earlier. If not for that and the engineer telling us that he was on the premises, there’s no way we would have recognized him. Brian was very big. He was with a guy who looked a little bit like Mike Love, so at first I thought it was Mike, but it was Mike’s brother Stan. We approached Brian and said hello and shook hands with him. He was on his way out the back door of RCA, and I immediately barraged him with “Hey Brian, we’re huge fans and we have all the Beach Boys records and I have your “Bob and Sheri” and “Kenny & The Cadets” singles” and went on and on. He said, “You still listen to that sh*t?” We glanced out the window and could see a blue/gray Cadillac Sedan deVille limousine pull up and Brian said he had to go with Stan. I said, “Well, is there a chance we could talk to you again soon, Brian?” He said, “Here, you want my phone number? Call me tomorrow”. We wrote it down. He got in the back of the limo and waved. As they drove off we stood there and exclaimed, “Ohhhhhh shiiiiiiit!” The rest of the day we were talking about our meeting with Brian. We went over to Tower Records and picked up the latest Beach Boys single, “Rock & Roll Music” that had just been released. The next day, we called the phone number Brian had given us. It was the wrong number! Damn! Did Brian write down the wrong one on purpose to give us the shake or did he not remember all the numbers correctly? We weren’t about to let him off the hook now. I decided to call fellow Beach Boys aficionado/record collector Derek Bill up in Oxnard, just North of L.A. He said that he knew where Brian lived. So Tim and I drove up to Derek’s house to pick him up. We then drove back to L.A., and up Sunset Blvd. to the the entrance of Bel-Air. At the guard post, the security guard came out and we told him we were there to see Brian Wilson. “Does he know you’re here to see him?”, the guard asked. “Yes he does”, I replied, speaking in a low tone and sounding business-like. The guard went back into the guard house, and a minute later the gate lifted and Tim drove through and up the hill to Bellagio Rd. We drove up and down the street a couple of times and I was thinking about the picture of the front wall of Brian’s house in the May 1976 Crawdaddy article. I was also thinking about the lyrics to “Busy Doin’ Nothin’” with the directions to Brian’s house. I believe it was Derek, who was sitting in the back seat of the car, who finally spotted Brian’s house. Yep. 10452 Bellagio Rd. We could see a couple of garbage cans by the gate with the name “Wilson” spray painted on them, so we knew we were at the right place. It cracked me up – like someone might steal the garbage cans, so they tagged them!  Tim drove the car to the driveway entrance and stopped in front of the iron gate. I got out slowly and walked up to the call box, which was mounted on the wall near the gate. A small sign next to the call box read, “Stand back – speak normal”. So I did. I pressed the button and a lady came on the speaker (I think it was Marilyn) and said, “Yes?” Again, with a business-like voice, I said, “Uh yes, we’re here to see Brian. We met him yesterday at RCA and he gave us a phone number to call, but we called and it was the wrong number”. There was a long pause and I thought we were going to be given the brush-off. All of a sudden there was a buzzing sound and the front gate to the driveway started opening! I quickly walked back to the car and hopped in. Tim, who was the driver, completely froze. He’d heard the conversation on the speaker phone and had started to tense up. I said, “Hey man, drive through the gate!” His leg was shaking so bad he couldn’t push the accelerator pedal! So Derek quickly got out of the back seat, told Tim to get out of the way, and drove us through the gate and down into the driveway next to the house. We parked next to the familiar limousine we had seen the day before with the license plate that read “Love 1”. We got out of the car and Brian came out the front door of the house and walked toward us. He asked us if we had a tape recorder and if we were going to interview him. We said no; we just wanted to visit with him. Then he asked us, “Hey, you wouldn’t have any coke with you, would ya?” I said, “No, we don’t. Sorry, Brian.” We followed Brian into his house. After engaging in small talk for awhile, he motioned for us to come over to his piano and asked us if we wanted to hear a few songs that he’d just recorded. I noticed that on the piano bench cover that the opening notes to “California Girls” were sewn into it. On the wall not far from the piano was a framed macramé piece with the words, “Stay Cool Bri – Cher”. Derek’s neck was on a swivel, looking back and forth and all around at the house’s surroundings. Then we noticed the stained glass window above the front door with the same artwork as the “Wild Honey” album cover. The sun was shining through it and it looked beautiful! There was also a “Wild Honey” ashtray on the piano. Then……I saw someone lurking in the shadows under the stairwell leading upstairs. He was watching us closely. I later found out it was a guy named “Scott Steinberg”, who was Gene Landy’s accountant’s son, acting as Landy’s spy. He wasn’t very big and he sure wasn’t gonna kick anybody’s ass if things didn’t go the way he or Landy wanted!! There were no remnants of a home studio in the house that I could see. So Brian proceeded to play us songs on the piano and we were standing there next to him and our jaws were on the floor in awe the whole time. Tim couldn’t speak. Derek was looking around at various artifacts and making comments under his breath. We couldn’t believe we were actually in the house of the legendary reclusive Brian Wilson. Just then, we saw Marilyn shuffling Carnie and Wendy out the front door and they waved “Hello” to us. Brian played “Back Home”, “Palisades Park”, and a couple of others from the soon to be released “15 Big Ones” album. At the time, we were taken aback at the change of his voice, and thought it was temporary. At no time did he display any eccentric or odd behavior. Just completely lucid and normal. He was obviously very comfortable with us and happy in his surroundings. When he was done playing and singing for us, I asked him to sign my “Crawdaddy” magazine and new “Rock & Roll Music” single. Tim handed him a copy of his “Beach Boys Deluxe Set”. Brian stared at it for a minute and said, “That’s a good one, isn’t it?” and Tim replied in the affirmative. I told Brian that I have a rare single of his called “The Surfer Moon” by “Bob & Sheri”. I asked him who “Sheri” was and he replied, “I f*cked her once, ya know!” I asked him if he’d thought about going on tour with The Beach Boys again and he said that the guys had asked him but he didn’t think he was in good enough shape to do so. Then Brian said he had to go – that he had relatives in the other room waiting for him. We shook hands again and thanked him for his time and he walked us to the door and we said good-bye.   

http://www.feelnumb.com/2009/11/04/2041/

When I got home I wrote Brian a letter thanking him for the visit and encouraged him to go on the road with the group that Summer. I ended the letter with, “Looking forward to seeing you in Oakland!” And sure enough, he was there on stage with the band in Oakland the following month, on July 2, 1976. It was Brian’s first public performance with The Beach Boys in several years.

Let’s hear your stories about meeting Brian Wilson or other member of The Beach Boys!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »

Annnnnnd you win the board for today. Very nice, thanks, Mikie.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »

Nice Mikie! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Mikie is the man.  Period.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »

My partner in crime Mikie has some awesome Beach Boys-related stories.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
srealist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:31:59 PM »

This is great!  Thanks so much for sharing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 12:34:48 PM »

Fantastic MIkie!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing. ..meeting Brian is something on my bucket list. ...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »

Great story!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »

Let’s hear your stories about meeting Brian Wilson or other member of The Beach Boys!

After reading that? Yeah...right!!! LOL
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »

Gosh Darn Mikie!!!!

Well I'll be God Damned!    I've been edited.      Any how,    a fantastic story and I had no idea you had such an experience.           To, think, if you played several string instruments and could sing falsetto,   Well,  who knows where you might be working today!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:29:51 PM by donald » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »

How cool is that! Awesome stuff Mikie!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »

Thank you, Mikie! I too had been waiting for your story for some time.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 05:22:17 PM »

Damn! No one can follow up a story like that! You're a lucky guy Mikie Cool Guy
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »

I love Brian stories. Hope I have one to share one day!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 05:27:59 PM »

It's a classic Mikie.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »

Wonderful story there Mikie.

The closest I got to meeting Brian was at the VIP "meet and greet" at Sands Bethlahem in 2012. Didn't talk of course. Closest was Dad briefly talking to David Marks (who he accidently bumped into while walking to the back of them lol.)

Mike pointed at me during the concert. Dad was then able to get Al Jradine's pick at the end of it.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »

Great BW story.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »

Thanks to the board members for the nice responses!   Hoping to hear more stories.  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 11:49:30 PM »

The bit that leaped out for me was Brian asking you for coke whilst he was under his first stint as a Landy patient.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 11:55:12 PM »

Maybe Mikie looked the part in the 70s?  Cool Guy
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 01:47:53 AM »

The bit that leaped out for me was Brian asking you for coke whilst he was under his first stint as a Landy patient.

He did that to pretty much every interviewer in 1976.

Everyone here knows my "Rhapsody In Blue" story so I won't bore you with it again.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:49:22 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 02:32:24 AM »

Please, do bore, I haven't heard that one and search "Brian Rhapsody in Blue" doesn't help.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 02:38:26 AM »

I almost met him once then I heard him say "no more handshakes" to someone so didn't bother. Mikie's story is definitely better  Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »

Please, do bore, I haven't heard that one and search "Brian Rhapsody in Blue" doesn't help.
Then you didn't search well. Should of entered the user & type "rhapsody".

Interesting... someone I expected to be all over my last post hasn't said word one.

Also, in response to the off-board questions, I though I'd done the "Brian-played-"Rhapsody In Blue"-for-me-in-1985" story to death.  Smiley

No, you haven't! Do tell again, haven't heard this one...

OK, the Readers Digest version: pitched up in LA March 1985 for about a week armed with a shitload of phone numbers and endless optimism. Got to meet VDP at his then house, Jasper Dailey, Steve Desper, Stevie Kalinich and thanks entirely to Bruce I spent a whole day in the studio with the band (less Mike - it took me until 2011 to meet him) while they did the final mix of their 1985 album. During a break in proceedings Brian headed to the studio floor and not being a complete mentally handicapped person I was half a step behind him. He sat at the piano, me in a corner and after he'd given me a thorough up and down state, commenced on some standard boogie, for maybe five minutes, before stopping then embarking on a beautiful melody. Took me maybe 30 seconds to realise it was "RiB". He played the entire piece, flawlessly yet with a distinct BW slant before segueing so sweetly into "Cast Your Fate To The Winds" that I didn't notice for about a minute. By nowq my eyes were on stalks and my lower jaw in my lap. Eventually he stopped, informed me "I love those songs" and we had a short chat abotu who i was, why I was there and so on. the change this music wrought in him was astonishing. He was relaxed, focussed, attentive, a regular Joe, but as we walked back to the control room you could actually see him tense back up.

That was the first meeting with Brian, and one of the best. Over the years I realised he's best one-on-one or in a non-social setting.

Seems like you asked it before but forget.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:54:19 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx