-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  David Letterman
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: David Letterman  (Read 7979 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »

In only 18 days, one of my comedy heroes, David Letterman, will be signing off the air. In my opinion, Letterman was part of what was perhaps the most inventive and creative comedy show in American television history. Here is in my opinion his landmark moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECz945gq33s

Does Dave going off the air mean as much to anyone here? It seems like a real end of an era to me.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »

I used to watch him all of the time.  Thought he was the one who should have replaced Carson.  I think I liked the show significantly better BEFORE the move over to CBS.   Then...as I got older...I didn't stay up as late.  I also thought that Dave lost the edge a touch and, was kind of 'mailing it in' a little bit.  I won't miss him as much because I seldom watch anymore...but HE was great...and innovative. 

AND...smaller was bigger.  [true of Paul's band as well.] Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:00:09 PM »

I used to watch him all of the time.  Thought he was the one who should have replaced Carson.  I think I liked the show significantly better BEFORE the move over to CBS.   Then...as I got older...I didn't stay up as late.  I also thought that Dave lost the edge a touch and, was kind of 'mailing it in' a little bit.  I won't miss him as much because I seldom watch anymore...but HE was great...and innovative. 

I agree - the early years were the best years. Well...I'd say 1985 to 1995 are pretty unparalleled. That takes us into the CBS years. He did curb his edge when he went higher in the time slot, absolutely. But those early shows at CBS, despite being less edgy, were crazily jam packed, with some pretty crazy stuff going on on a nightly basis. Like you suggest, though, it was on a bigger scale than the NBC years and this eventually worked against the show, especially when Letterman stopped doing the remote pieces, which I'm pretty much certain ended after his major heart surgery.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:18:59 AM »

Shake, as a big fan of Letter, do you think this video was ad-libbed on air or it went by scenario? Is David really irked by a guest?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8daN-y85Jw

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »

Shake, as a big fan of Letter, do you think this video was ad-libbed on air or it went by scenario? Is David really irked by a guest?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8daN-y85Jw

I'm afraid I haven't had time to re-watch that video in total, but I have seen it before and remember it fairly well. I'm sure most of that was ad-libbed -- Letterman's interviews weren't scripted. This is one of the ways that Letterman was unique - he was famous for not giving his guests a free pass and, consequently, he had numerous on-air feuds with guests. Here are a couple of notorious ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBr4NxujLvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh2UVul29CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIXYmGovaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXMHZ4XEs0
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »

I loved David Letterman in the early years. Back then he was edgy and off the wall. Now, unfortunately, he just seems like a grumpy old man so I haven't watched his show in ages. I'll never forget his tribute to Johnny Carson when he died, though. It was pretty special.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:19:32 AM »

I agree - the early years were the best years. Well...I'd say 1985 to 1995 are pretty unparalleled. That takes us into the CBS years. He did curb his edge when he went higher in the time slot, absolutely. But those early shows at CBS, despite being less edgy, were crazily jam packed, with some pretty crazy stuff going on on a nightly basis. Like you suggest, though, it was on a bigger scale than the NBC years and this eventually worked against the show, especially when Letterman stopped doing the remote pieces, which I'm pretty much certain ended after his major heart surgery.

It's funny you mention these years as the mid to late 1990s was when I started to check out on Letterman.  I used to be a big fan.  I may check out his last show at least.  Although, I'll still take Letterman on his worst day before Jimmy Fallon on his best day.

Although in the mid 2000s, I did used to tune in just to see "Great Moments in Presidential Speeches." 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:10:49 AM »

It's funny you mention these years as the mid to late 1990s was when I started to check out on Letterman.  I used to be a big fan.  I may check out his last show at least.  Although, I'll still take Letterman on his worst day before Jimmy Fallon on his best day.

Although in the mid 2000s, I did used to tune in just to see "Great Moments in Presidential Speeches." 

I definitely still liked Letterman a lot during the mid to late 90s - it's just that I found his peak (and, in my view, the best streak of anyone in late night comedy) to be 1985-1995. But I remember the late 90s fondly too. It was around that time where he replaced Larry Bud Mehlman with another older man who seemed even more bizarre. Not sure what ever happened to him - it's as if he never existed. I remember Letterman also did the no-commercial show around this time which was cool. If you can remember particular episodes, it would help re-jog my memory in terms of what happened when -- I was definitely watching virtually every episode around this time.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:19:52 AM »

Unfortunately, even though I remember watching pretty regularly, it's difficult for me to recall any specific episodes.

I think that shows like his, unlike serial shows, don't stay in the memory bank as long since they're not rerun on a regular basis. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »

Unfortunately, even though I remember watching pretty regularly, it's difficult for me to recall any specific episodes.

I think that shows like his, unlike serial shows, don't stay in the memory bank as long since they're not rerun on a regular basis. 

You make a good point.

This is from 1999, but I feel like this sums up that particular era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j95dC8DSnOA
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 12:29:46 AM »

Count me as another Dave fan!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:12:59 PM by BrianAlDaveFan » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »

I'm looking forward to Colbert

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 08:13:18 PM »

I'll miss Dave's sharp wit, and his often poignant comments about current events. He can give a serious interview as well as Charlie Rose - and I appreciate even more how great Dave is at it, since Dave's mainly known as a funnyman.

And as for funny - to this day, the way he looks at things, and the comments he can make - regarding just about anything - always gives me a good laugh, due to his most unique sense of humor, and delivery!

So I will miss that from Mr. Letterman, along with the aforementioned heart-filled things he has to say when serious topics are spoken of on his show.

Dave's the best TV broadcaster, for me. No one else comes close. But he's certainly earned his retirement; I've enjoyed his show so much over the years, and I hope he has a wonderful retirement!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:15:17 PM by BrianAlDaveFan » Logged
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »

Although, I'll still take Letterman on his worst day before Jimmy Fallon on his best day.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I don't dislike JF as a person, but as an interviewer, he is not good. I am being kind, here.

In contrast, Dave, as mentioned, can do wonderful interviews. It would be nice if Dave did some interviews here or there in the future, but if not, I respect his decision and thank him for all the years of great entertainment!  Afro
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »

Jimmy's NOT doing a LIVE show Wednesday niight out of respect for Dave.  Gonna 'tape' the last 3 shows...as I'll be sleeping but I don't wanna miss 'em.  My best late night talk guy ever.  I was too young to really appreciate Johnny all the way...and Ed was a fuckin' log.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 06:48:46 AM »

I definitely still liked Letterman a lot during the mid to late 90s - it's just that I found his peak (and, in my view, the best streak of anyone in late night comedy) to be 1985-1995. But I remember the late 90s fondly too. It was around that time where he replaced Larry Bud Mehlman with another older man who seemed even more bizarre. Not sure what ever happened to him - it's as if he never existed.

That would be Leonard Tepper.  He passed away back in the late 90's.  Very funny during his short run. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 07:40:05 AM »

I definitely still liked Letterman a lot during the mid to late 90s - it's just that I found his peak (and, in my view, the best streak of anyone in late night comedy) to be 1985-1995. But I remember the late 90s fondly too. It was around that time where he replaced Larry Bud Mehlman with another older man who seemed even more bizarre. Not sure what ever happened to him - it's as if he never existed.

That would be Leonard Tepper.  He passed away back in the late 90's.  Very funny during his short run. 

That's right! Thanks for the info.

I can't believe tonight is it. Gotta say I'm feeling pretty sad about it.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »

Letterman was an early hero of mine too.  Man, was he good!  But he lost something.

The Late Night TV format got lame -- as does anything that becomes influential, since "certain types" of people (without talent or the ability to persuade) infiltrate these institutions to spread their  hackneyed ideologies.  As a result, just like the Evening News and the Sitcom -- the format up n' died, and with it, its big gun -- David Letterman.  A true innovator, gone.

His great early years were edgy and humorous -- and that's how I choose to remember him.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:43:55 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

KDS
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »

I DVRed the final show, and watched it yesterday evening. 

I enjoyed some of the retro bits that reminded me of why I used to like Letterman so much at one time.  The bit from 1996 of him working the Taco Bell drive thru was hilarious.  But, unfortunately, there were a lot of jokes that seemed stale that reminded me of why I stopped watching him. 

The good byes at the end were pretty touching.  Although my DVR cut the show off just as The Foo Fighters started. 

David Letterman is the last of the classic era of late night talk, which is why I decided to tune in one more time.  Stephen Colbert is OK, but I think what he does is more schtick, and doesn't feel as genuine as Dave did.  I will never understand the appeal of Jimmy Fallon.  He must have incriminating pictures of somebody at NBC.  But the Gen-Y people seem to dig him. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 08:14:50 AM »

LOL

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »

The thing I've always really liked about David Letterman and where I think guys like Kimmel, Fallon, and Corden pale in comparison is that Dave never really cared about celebrity culture and building his show around it. He was more interested in real people. Only Dave would have given so much air time to guys like Rupert Jee and Biff Henderson (and I'm so glad he did) and anytime he did have big celebrities, he never sucked up to them for his audience's approval and said exactly what he thought of them. And that's what made Dave worth watching. He seemed like a regular guy who found his job absolutely ridiculous and wanted us to know that while still looking like he was loving every minute of it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: