gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:34:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Timeline for BW & JT NPP Songs  (Read 2563 times)
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

Do we know which songs were written for NPP and which are from the Wilson/Thomas writing sessions of the late nineties?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »

Fabulous question. I think it's unknown for about nine of the songs.

1.) This Beautiful Day
2.) Runaway Dancer -- Brian has said it's from the late 90s.
3.) Whatever Happened
4.) On An Island
5.) Half Moon Bay
6.) Our Special Love -- New, written on tour (JT gave account of composition to ESQ)
7.) The Right Time
8.) Don't Worry
9.) Somewhere Quiet -- New lyrics (written for L&M movie), music from '60s
10.) I'm Feeling Sad
11.) Guess You Had to Be There -- New, Don Was told about how song was inspired by Brian driving Joe to studio
12.) Tell Me Why
13.) Sail Away -- New, given comments from Peterik in his new autobiography (he and Millas were co-writing with BW and JT for new album)
14.) One Kind of Love -- New, written for L&M movie
15.) Saturday Night
16.) The Last Song -- New, written after C50 tour ended

So that's 5-6 confirmed recent comps, and I'd bet at least a couple of others are too (my guesses -- Whatever Happened, Half Moon Bay and Don't Worry). But it would be interesting to know -- and to learn how much the 90s-era stuff was changed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:10:50 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 03:34:21 PM »

Thanks Wirestone, that's more info than I had on the birth of some of these songs.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »

Thanks Wirestone, that's more info than I had on the birth of some of these songs.

I'm really interested myself!

Here's Joe on Our Special Love: http://www.examiner.com/article/inside-the-recording-process-of-brian-wilson-s-no-pier-pressure

You’re right that it was written with a group concept in mind. The chorus was written at one point back when we were still thinking that there might be a second Beach Boys album. However the opening bridge and then the verse were written much later. As it turns out, Brian was finishing a brief tour in the Midwest. Jeff Foskett and I spent a long night with Brian eating our favorite pizza and drinking maybe a few too many Diet Cokes on the bus while it was sitting in the parking lot of Brian’s hotel. Brian kept switching the satellite radio between Malt Shop Memories and The Sixties Channel. That night it seemed like they were playing more than the usual share of Tommy James and The Shondells and The Chi-Lites…two of our favorite groups. Brian was feeling very inspired and we decided to take the bus to my studio, which was only a few miles from the hotel. It was there that we came up with the doo-wop harmonies that became the verse.

Don Was on GYHTBT: http://radio.com/2015/04/07/brian-wilson-interview-no-pier-pressure-lana-del-rey-frank-ocean-don-was/

“It’s a deep song,” Was adds. “He was writing about the wild times in the ’70s. [Wilson’s co-producer] Joe [Thomas] told me this: they would be driving to the studio from Beverly Hills and they would pass the Roxy, and Brian would be telling stories about it, and then said, ‘I guess you had to be there.'”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »

Here's Joe on Our Special Love: http://www.examiner.com/article/inside-the-recording-process-of-brian-wilson-s-no-pier-pressure

You’re right that it was written with a group concept in mind. The chorus was written at one point back when we were still thinking that there might be a second Beach Boys album. However the opening bridge and then the verse were written much later. As it turns out, Brian was finishing a brief tour in the Midwest. Jeff Foskett and I spent a long night with Brian eating our favorite pizza and drinking maybe a few too many Diet Cokes on the bus while it was sitting in the parking lot of Brian’s hotel. Brian kept switching the satellite radio between Malt Shop Memories and The Sixties Channel. That night it seemed like they were playing more than the usual share of Tommy James and The Shondells and The Chi-Lites…two of our favorite groups. Brian was feeling very inspired and we decided to take the bus to my studio, which was only a few miles from the hotel. It was there that we came up with the doo-wop harmonies that became the verse.

July 2013.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »

Don Was on GYHTBT: http://radio.com/2015/04/07/brian-wilson-interview-no-pier-pressure-lana-del-rey-frank-ocean-don-was/

“It’s a deep song,” Was adds. “He was writing about the wild times in the ’70s. [Wilson’s co-producer] Joe [Thomas] told me this: they would be driving to the studio from Beverly Hills and they would pass the Roxy, and Brian would be telling stories about it, and then said, ‘I guess you had to be there.'”

Odd that a Sixties channel would be playing any Chi-lites songs, let alone "more than the usual share" since the Chi-lites chart successes didn't happen until the Seventies, and they were barely a recording entity at all during the Sixties. But, accepting that this quote is true and accurate, then 'Our Special Love' was inspired by what? 'Have You Seen Her'?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 05:32:30 PM »

Odd that a Sixties channel would be playing any Chi-lites songs, let alone "more than the usual share" since the Chi-lites chart successes didn't happen until the Seventies, and they were barely a recording entity at all during the Sixties. But, accepting that this quote is true and accurate, then 'Our Special Love' was inspired by what? 'Have You Seen Her'?

Most of the time they only play 60s, but on Cousin Brucie 's show on Saturday, they play 50s-70s.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:38 PM »

According to AGD's website, the only date this was possible was July 26, 2013, where BW played the Ravinia Festival, in Highland Park IL. That was a Friday.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx