gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:38:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ben E. King died!  (Read 2703 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »

One of the best singers I know has died. Ben E. King of the Drifters and after that succesful as a solo artist (Stand By Me, Spanish Harlem, I Who Have Nothing)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KDS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »

Had a wonderful voice. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »

This will always be my favourite of his. Rest in peace, sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehFWRG5gHyI

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »

RIP Ben E. King. One of the best voices of the era if not pop music history in general. An amazing voice, a voice full of character beyond the impeccable technique. Wow.

We could list all of his highlights but I just want to say for my money, "Stand By Me" is one of the best pieces of music ever recorded. One of the most haunting and passionate records ever made, one of those that will stand the test of time as future generations hear it with new ears. A landmark record, one of those that just grabs you and never lets go, you can't shake it after it hits you where it hurts. The perfect marriage of singer and song. Many cover it, but no one will ever own that song as much as Mr. King.

A true legend and a musician's musician of the highest order. He will be missed but never forgotten.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »

He was also a really good guy.  Had a great sense for enjoying life.  He was comfortable in his own shoes and was a pleasure to be around.  And he called 'it' the way he saw 'it' w/o animosity.  I'll miss him.

But some GREAT music lives on.

Although Ben E. King had left the Drifters by the time Johnny Moore stepped back up to the plate and helped them score another HUGE hit with Under the Boardwalk ... King would return for another stint with the group between 1981 and 1985 and, no doubt, sang the song many times...just like the Beach Boys must have.  [although I doubt that HE would have had the extremely POOR taste to change up the lyrics of that classic gem.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »

Very sad to hear Ben has passed. Such a fantastic singer.

Not only was his Drifters & solo 60s sides top notch, he also issued some great material later on. I've always been really fond of his collaboration with Scottish blue-eyed soulsters / funk boys Average White Band.

RIP!

Get It Up for Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_jr8UWha4k

A Star in the Ghetto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8_Jiwo5WnM

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 07:14:23 AM »

RIP

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ben-e-king-rip.html
halblaineisgood
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »

https://youtu.be/SnbWCE38tlY?t=206
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:55:20 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 03:14:09 PM »

RIP. A short tribute.

https://instagram.com/p/2MNX74uoeU/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 05:36:54 PM »

When I was a kid I used to watch these pbs reunion shows where the 'oldies' acts would come out and sing, this was in the late 80's.  He was wearing a really ugly sweater but sounded great, he did "Spanish Harlem" and "Stand by Me".   I must have watched that tape 100 times, he was one of my favorites on there.  I really love his sound on "There goes my Baby" too... Great singer!

bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »

Still can't believe he's gone. Stand By Me has been playing on the radio quite a bit, such a classic.

Sad thing is, we might lose another King very soon (BB). I dread the day that comes....

R.I.P. Ben E King
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 02:11:32 AM »

Still can't believe he's gone. Stand By Me has been playing on the radio quite a bit, such a classic.

Sad thing is, we might lose another King very soon (BB). I dread the day that comes....

R.I.P. Ben E King

What a horrific coincidence. Just an hour or so after posting this, the death of BB King was announced. Turns out it was today that was the day I dreaded....

R.I.P. The Two Kings
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx