gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:03:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Erased Brian Wilson songs  (Read 3755 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2006, 02:44:45 AM »

This might be a thread more for the Steve Desper one. Somewhere I remember reading a quote from Desper saying that Brian would sneak down into the home studio and record whole tracks (music and vocals) with Steves help and then after he finished he would instruct Steve to completely wipe the tape. Steve then said something like he had "heard more unreleased songs from Brian than anyone" or something like that, but had obviously wiped the tape.
Can anyone verify this?
Do you reckon he really wiped the tapes?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:08:32 AM »

Why would Steve make up a story like that?  I of course assume it's true.  If Brian was working just with Steve, there wouldn't be anyone else to witness it, other than Brian of course.  Someone could ask him that question on his website maybe?
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »

That's an OLD, OLD quote from Desper. That's been regurgitated I don't know how many times. More of those living room #1s.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:49:27 AM »

Such a tragedy that those songs are lost forever...I remember Bruce saying in a doc that he would be "fractured the songs were so brilliant" but after they went "number one in his living room" Brian just discarded them.  The Desper quote I believe was that he had "erased more Brian Wilson songs than anyone will ever hear" or something to that effect.  Obviously at the time there was no real reason to keep these songs stockpiled on tape, but I'd bet there was some brilliant stuff there that sadly, nobody will ever hear.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »

Tragedy indeed...but I'd like to hope that there was a secret second tape recorder rolling...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 02:19:11 PM »

I bet Brian still has a bunch of the erased songs in his head, though.. and we all know how much he likes to recycle songs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 08:28:40 PM »

I thought the quote was that Desper "erased more Brian Wilson songs than anyone will ever hear"... meaning that he erased blown takes on vocal sessions, to lay over a new take.... not that he was erasing entire songs.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »

I think the quote may have originated in one of the Leaf books, but I know for sure that's what Steve told me in LA back in 1985.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 10:35:28 AM »

I bet Brian still has a bunch of the erased songs in his head, though.. and we all know how much he likes to recycle songs.

Maybe he has recorded some of them already and we don't know it? For all we know, the melody for , say, Love & Mercy, could've had its origins in the early 70s. Doubt it, but...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 10:43:38 AM »

I don'd doubt that idea at all. Brian could very well have begun some of those melodies and ideas in those years, then finally finished them much later. We know he's done it time after time, so why not a few more? As for those "lost songs" as all being brilliant, well...that's a Beach Boys msg board for you. Anything unavailable is OBVIOUSLY better than what is available...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 10:44:42 AM »

Yep, you're probably right.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
SG7
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 11:52:56 AM »

Sometimes the best stuff is the stuff you never hear  Grin
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »

I think he's saving them to put up on his myspace.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
MBE
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »

As far as what went out and what was recorded yes the stuff that never came out is far better sometimes.

Paley or Stars and Stripes? Da Do Run Run or School Days. When Girls Get Together or Games Two Can Play, original Santa Ana or the released one. I can go on the outakes from 15 Big Ones are often far better then the oldies on there. The "hot" Rock and Roll Music. Adult Child to me is far better then Love You. Hard Times or Hold On Dear Brother ? Ding Dang or (Brian's) Hard Times? Back Home 70 or 75. Smile is better then Smiley, Dennis' huge catalog of unused items. I mean do we want "Take A Load Off Your Feet" or "I've Got A Friend". Even in the early days. "I Do" "All Dressed Up For School" "Walk On By" Can't Wait Too Long" All beter then Mama Said, Diamond Head, Our Favorite Recording Sessions, Bull Daddy, Nearest Faraway. Don't Go Near The Water or Loop De Loop

Sorry if this is a rant. I think overall The Beach Boys put out some great music, but like Dylan, The Stones, Elvis, you name it sometimes an artist is not the best judge of their own work.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 06:13:52 AM by MBE » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 09:05:05 PM »

And Battle Hymn of the Republic, there's a song that should've seen the light of day, would've made a smash number 1 hit!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »

I think one of the reasons so much Brian music went unwritten,  unrecordrd, or was erased is that whenever he'd record, it would get used for BB projects, After Smile, Brian did not as readily share his music with them due to deep resentment. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 11:16:49 AM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx