gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:53:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whennn was the last time Mike got to write with Brian alone in a room?  (Read 32620 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »

Plus all the aggressive behavior by Mike (lawsuits, bad mouthing BW to the press, and other shenanigans) makes him hard to be in BW's comfort zone. Would you let a guy with such a spotty track record into your creative sanctum?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »

Blood runs thicker than water. Remember that.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »

For better or worse, thats what (barely) held the BBs together from 1961- 1998)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »

Howie,

I took it that people (or maybe just me) thought during the "mess", and since really, that they were talking about offers and dates in what was left of the 2012 season.

I think I know what you mean on the set date deal and maybe you disagree or know better but what I mean is it seems to me from no inside info that BRI had given Mike the license to tour and there was a special contract or agreement of (I guess?) BRI to interrupt that standing agreement with the C50 dates. That initial agreement came to an end of dates and was extended or replaced by a new agreement that ended. I assume it ended after the announced dates ended. Didn't they need to get together to either make a new contract or agreement for the 2013 offers or at least an agreement as to what to do? I say "offers" but do I understand you right that nothing "in writing" or actionable was actually presented to the band as far as you know?

The reports that they assumed they would discuss the opportunities but they never even got to together to discuss what to do as a band about the possibilities is very sad. Instead the discussion they did do was the I said/He said "mess" which is sadder still. The manager you suggest may have indeed at least diverted the "mess" by arranging an actual dialogue between them about their future opportunities they said they assumed was going to happen.

I could be wrong about it all.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:51:43 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »

Blood runs thicker than water. Remember that.

True, but it also clots.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2015, 05:39:07 PM »

That's why God made Al Jardine. He wanted the innocence. He's the beta-blocker of the group.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Bruces Shorts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »

Here's the thing. It's been noted many times before.

Brian and Mike were working in exceptionally close quarters for all of the C50 tour. There was no BW "entourage there" -- no Melinda, no Jean Sievers, no Joe Thomas -- for the vast majority of the shows.

If writing in the proverbial room is so important to Mike, why did he never -- in the entire tour -- drop by Brian's room either backstage or in the hotel? If co-writing is so important to him, why didn't he show up with some lyrics and ask Brian what he thought?

Let me repeat: The word from folks who were there is that Mike never did that. Never. In dozens of dates, across the U.S. and Europe, Mike never showed up to spend time with his cousin. Brian generally only collaborates with people he feels comfortable with. Mike had a chance to re-establish a relationship, to become comfortable with Brian yet again. But he didn't.

As always, a picture is worth a thousand of these.

How do we know Mike didn't take this picture?

J/K
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »

He probably did!  Wink

Bruces Shorts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2015, 05:50:30 PM »

He probably did!  Wink

I dunno ..... There would likely be "ring glare" in the guy's glasses Wink
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »

Don't you mean dome glare? Smiley

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »

Brian and Mike were working in exceptionally close quarters for all of the C50 tour. There was no BW "entourage there" -- no Melinda, no Jean Sievers, no Joe Thomas -- for the vast majority of the shows.

If writing in the proverbial room is so important to Mike, why did he never -- in the entire tour -- drop by Brian's room either backstage or in the hotel? If co-writing is so important to him, why didn't he show up with some lyrics and ask Brian what he thought?

Let me repeat: The word from folks who were there is that Mike never did that. Never. In dozens of dates, across the U.S. and Europe, Mike never showed up to spend time with his cousin. Brian generally only collaborates with people he feels comfortable with. Mike had a chance to re-establish a relationship, to become comfortable with Brian yet again. But he didn't.

If they were in a room by themselves how would we know what they did?

Wouldn't Brian have to agree to collaborate, Mike couldn't just unilaterally collaborate each time they were in the bathroom at the same time or passing each other in the hallway.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2015, 05:57:02 PM »

And by "guy," we mean the band's co-musical director for the tour, Paul Mertens.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »

Welcome Bruce's shorts!  Grin

Bruces Shorts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »

Don't you mean dome glare? Smiley

Ha!

Well, phone cameras take care of all that stuff these days, so .....

As more of a Beach Boys fan than a "Brianista" or "Kokomoron" I would imagine it's not easy at this point for either Brian or Mike to feel comfortable around each other enough to not just avoid the issue altogether. I think when Mike talks about getting Brian alone in a room, he means under the auspice of there being an album in production and a schedule etc etc .... He also knows or likely feels that people in Brian's camp simply don't like him as so many fans don't (dislike is too mild a word in some fan's case) ... It's sad, but not exactly uncommon.. I have family members who've hardly said more than a couple words to each other in decades. Even at big family gatherings, they'll simply just avoid being in the same room/part of the house at the same time.

Maybe Mike should settle for getting Brian alone in a hallway?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:01:55 PM by Bruces Shorts » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »

Cam, is there part of my post you genuinely don't understand? If so, ask me a direct question about what you'd like me to clear up, and I'll do so. But I'm not playing these rhetorical games with you.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2015, 06:21:24 PM »

Cam, is there part of my post you genuinely don't understand? If so, ask me a direct question about what you'd like me to clear up, and I'll do so. But I'm not playing these rhetorical games with you.

Nope, just rhetorical questions.

Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »

I hope this is a suitable place to bring this up. In perusing YouTubeI came across a Chuck Negron interview

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m8gEzfQ2c-s

At 32:05 the interview gets really like interesting. I don't know if it was ever in the cards , but Negron talks about a reunited TDN opening for the Beach Boys  during the C50.. He then describes why it did not come about from the TDN perspective. According to Negron it was not going to happen because "Danny Hutton is not going to take the chance to be the third wheel again because he is running the show".

Substitute Mike Love for Danny Hutton and  " second wheel" for "third wheel" (although for my money I would rather see Al than Mike)  and you get an idea of how C50 broke down.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »

How do we know Mike didn't take this picture?

J/K

While Bruce adjusted the tripod?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2015, 07:17:58 PM »

How do you think Mike (and Bruce) turned down the invitation to this event? Serious question. Was there a mass email chain or group text which Mike (or an assistant) was copied on, and Mike didn't reply and was simply just a no-show? Or do you think he politely turned down the dinner? Man it had to be an awkward moment if he just snuck out after the final song and didn't say a word to anyone. I've heard of that type of stuff happening in other bands (like James Iha at the end of the final Smashing Pumpkins gig), and it seems like it would be hard to be received as anything but very hurtful by others.

Not that I really expect anyone on this board to know, or to honestly share... I'm sure Mike was far from the first BB to bail on an important dinner celebration over the years, but at the same time I think that most people who attended had to think it was mighty sad, sour grapes type stuff, especially being the cherry on top of the very final show of such a well-received and successful tour, that had been marketed as a healing reunion with any sort of actual meaning.

I'm glad Brian looks happy here, and has the support of his wife. Al for some reason looks about 20 years younger in this pic.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:27:34 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bruces Shorts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2015, 07:53:12 PM »

How do we know Mike just split moments after the last song without a word?

How do we know the photo in question represents the entierty of the last C50 show/backstage events/party/etc etc?

How do we know Bruce isn't assisting Mike as he takes the picture? ..... As in "adjusting the Mike"

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:54:45 PM by Bruces Shorts » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2015, 08:00:40 PM »

Looks like Ray is at the right. He might be able to answer those questions for us.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »

How do we know the photo in question represents the entierty of the last C50 show/backstage events/party/etc etc?

How do we know Bruce isn't assisting Mike as he takes the picture? ..... As in "adjusting the Mike"

We don't know he split like that. I'm wondering if it possibly happened, and how sadly awkward it must have been one way or another, if there was (or wasn't) a proper good-bye.
Bruces Shorts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2015, 08:16:58 PM »

We don't know he split like that. I'm wondering if it possibly happened, and how sadly awkward it must have been one way or another, if there was (or wasn't) a proper good-bye.

Well, the sadly awkward part is pure speculation. Whether or not Mike (and assuming Bruce in tow) just split without saying a word: it's us here assumimg/imagining that it would be sadly awkward ...... It could have been as simple as "Oh, yeah, Mike and Bruce can't make the photo-op/party/whatever" ..... equalling: no big deal.... Or it could have been "Great show, have fun at the party. I got this and that to do" by Mike ..... equalling: no big deal.

I highly doubt Mike was banned from the event or went out of his way NOT to be there either.

But this is just me speculating as well ..... Hopefully someone who was there will chime in.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:18:50 PM by Bruces Shorts » Logged
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »

As I understood it, Mike and Bruce were not invited to this.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »

As I understood it, Mike and Bruce were not invited to this.

But Scott Totten was, and indeed showed up?

I think you misunderstood.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx