gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681200 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 06:34:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The great lost Dennis Wilson 1965 lead vocal. For what song?  (Read 16082 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »

As most of us know, Brian Wilson's notes for the Summer Days (and Summer Nights!) album say that Dennis was asleep in his vehicle when he was supposed to sing a lead on that album. Does anyone know what song he was supposed to sing?

And why couldn't they just wake him up?  Grin
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »

I believe David Leaf wrote in the liner notes for the Capitol Today! / Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!) twofer CD release that the song was "You're So Good To Me."

Lee
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »

I believe David Leaf wrote in the liner notes for the Capitol Today! / Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!) twofer CD release that the song was "You're So Good To Me."

Lee

And let's not forget 1 year later, the aborted plans for Denny to sing "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", as well as "Sail On Sailor" several years after that.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »

i identify that song so strongly with Brian, it's hard to imagine anyone else doing it. would love to hear it though!

Dennis was supposed to sing Sail On Sailor originally too, yes? love to hear that as well.
KDS
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »

I think Dennis would've done a great job on You're So Good to Me.  I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't think that's one of Brian's better leads. 

But I couldn't imagine anybody but Brian Wilson singing the autobiographical I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.   
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »

I think Dennis would've done a great job on You're So Good to Me.  I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't think that's one of Brian's better leads. 

But I couldn't imagine anybody but Brian Wilson singing the autobiographical I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.   

It's not autobiographical, it's about Lorren Daro's girlfriend.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:03:35 PM »

Yeah, right.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »

Is this true? I've heard it before but I have a hard time believing it. It fits Brian so well.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »

Dennis was supposed to sing Sail On Sailor originally too, yes? love to hear that as well.

The story is that he literally left in the middle of the session because he had just bought a new surf board and couldn't wait to try it out.

Hasn't it been confirmed that an unfinished Denny vocal still exists in the vaults??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 02:10:15 PM »

Interesting topic as I was reading about 'Good Vibrations' the other day. Wiki, quoting the Badman book, mentioned Dennis was down for the lead but due to laryngitis Carl took over. Never knew this. Confirmed?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »

The story is that he literally left in the middle of the session because he had just bought a new surf board and couldn't wait to try it out.

Hasn't it been confirmed that an unfinished Denny vocal still exists in the vaults??

I know I've read somewhere that it was literally taped over with Blondie's vocal. What I wonder is if any audible portion of a previous taped-over Dennis take could be extracted from the Blondie take. That's getting into some FBI forensic type stuff. Probably not really possible, unfortunately.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »

It was one of the debated points in the heated Lorren Daro thread elsewhere. Check it out.
Is this true? I've heard it before but I have a hard time believing it. It fits Brian so well.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »

It was one of the debated points in the heated Lorren Daro thread elsewhere. Check it out.

Autotune might have been making a joke there, considering Lorren's reputation here.

Besides, why would Tony Asher have known Lorren Daro well enough to write a song about her personal insecurities that also happen to be very similar to Brian's?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »

Yeah, right.

It's apocryphal.  Grin

Seriously though, not true.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 04:52:15 PM »

Lee

And let's not forget 1 year later, the aborted plans for Denny to sing "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", as well as "Sail On Sailor" several years after that.

And don't forget the original plan for the verses of Cabinessence ('light the camp and fire mellow...') was to have Dennis singing as the narrator of the story. Now *that* would have been something...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »

maybe it was for "Guess I'm Dumb" and since he couldn't record it Brian scrapped it and gave it to Glen.... LOL
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 04:58:06 PM »

It was wiped.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 05:00:32 PM »

Autotune might have been making a joke there, considering Lorren's reputation here.

Besides, why would Tony Asher have known Lorren Daro well enough to write a song about her personal insecurities that also happen to be very similar to Brian's?

He didn't, Daro was talking out of his ass.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »

Nobody who was there has denied it while VDP alluded a confirmation in a tweet. https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/557757246361583618
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »

Nobody who was there has denied it while VDP alluded a confirmation in a tweet. https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/557757246361583618

Alluded to or confirmed what, exactly?

An "account of the 60's", that's what he wrote. Hardly a confirmation of the inspiration for a specific song.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 05:37:27 AM »

Nope, because it doesn't. Blondie's vocal was recorded over it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 07:58:36 AM »

Lee

Thanks. ButI still have my doubts about the "Dennis was asleep" scenario. Takes a heck of a lot of time to create a track, and Dennis could have added his vocal at any time. Unless it was all done live...
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 08:32:35 AM »

Lee

Thanks. ButI still have my doubts about the "Dennis was asleep" scenario. Takes a heck of a lot of time to create a track, and Dennis could have added his vocal at any time. Unless it was all done live...

It seems to me that time was actually fairly tight. According to AGD's site, the vocals for YSGT were recorded along with the vocals for three other songs on May 24th. And my guess is they had to book specific studio time to record these vocals.

The question is, do Dennis vocals appear on the other three songs for that day: Girl from New York City, Bugged, And Your Dreams Come True.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:33:27 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 08:59:40 AM »

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:03:45 AM by Smile4ever » Logged
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »

I read --- many (!!) years ago , that he was to take the lead on Help me Rhonda.  Cannot recall source.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx