gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Cruisin': Brian's involvment  (Read 3356 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2006, 08:26:46 AM »

We all know he did In My Car...did he supply vocals on anything else besides of the oldies on here? i kinda hear him around the end of Make it Big...am I alone thinking this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 08:52:45 AM »

He's on "Make it big" "Island girl" (you can hear him and Carl in the intro) "Wipe out" and "In my car". Don't know about the other tracks except for "Kokomo"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 09:43:22 AM »

I think I read in AGD's book that there is speculation that BW is the ONLY  BB on Wipeout.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:58:10 AM »

Yeah, it certainly sounds like that, but I believe I can hear Mike in there at times...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 09:59:33 AM »

Mike has to be there, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Carl plays the guitar.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 10:01:16 AM »

Mike has to be there, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Carl plays the guitar.

I doubt that Carl plays the guitar, but who knows. Did Carl play the lead in concert?

- Jack Rieley
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:22:32 AM »

No clue.  But whoever played that solo knew Carl's style inside and out if it wasn't Carl.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 10:53:03 AM »

It wasn't Carl. It was the band used on the rest of the Fat Boys album "Crushing", where the song appeared in its full length- The version off of Still Crusin' had about 45 seconds cut off from Darren Robinson's "beat boxing".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 10:57:42 AM »

Yeah, Wipeout is one of those songs that anyone can play on guitar, and as long as you have a good sense of timing there's not much you can do to screw it up.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 11:12:14 AM »

I have always thought that Brian was the only BB on Wipeout.  Certianly at least on the "wipe out, wipe it out" part.  Even the bass vocals sound like Brian to me. 

You can definately hear Brian on the Island Girl Intro.

I think he is probably on Make It Big.

Of course, we know he is not on Kokomo and I don't hear any evidence on Still Cruisin' or Somewhere Near Japan.  Not to my untrained ear at least, but I have been wrong about parts I attributed to certain BB's before.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 12:21:15 PM »

Yeah, Wipeout is one of those songs that anyone can play on guitar, and as long as you have a good sense of timing there's not much you can do to screw it up.

It is one thing to hit the notes.  It's another to replicate a player's style and sound.  All I was saying is that whoever did it wasn't just doing it for the first time that day -- they knew the sound and feel well.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 01:14:25 PM »

Brian apparently didn't sing on it, but he's in the video for "Somewhere Near Japan." He also sang on the Spanish verson of "Kokomo" of course.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 03:15:25 PM »

He's in the Still Crusin video too, I think he may have sung a small part. His involvment on here was just basically confined to quick overdubbs. Not counting his song and Wipeout. The McPharland book says Mike, Bruce, Al, and Brian are all on Wipeout. Carl had nothing to do with it and isn't in the video either.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 03:41:39 PM »

Maybe this is already being done or will be done or is done as part of the new website etc. but Josh or Alan, or someone in their stead, should be interviewing the group about each track on each album to start with.  A group like the BBs shouldn't have these sorts of questions still hanging.  I'm sure they don't already have much on their plates.  :D

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
MBE
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 05:16:48 PM »

Good idea
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 08:06:15 PM »

Quote from: MBE
The McPharland book says Mike, Bruce, Al, and Brian are all on Wipeout. Carl had nothing to do with it and isn't in the video either.

Technically, Carl is in the "Wipeout" video -- there's a photo of his head pasted onto a surfboard that Brian is holding in one scene. As for the vocals, I keep thinking I hear Jeff Foskett in the mix. If he's on there, he could be playing guitar too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 11:19:32 PM »

Quote from: MBE
The McPharland book says Mike, Bruce, Al, and Brian are all on Wipeout. Carl had nothing to do with it and isn't in the video either.

Technically, Carl is in the "Wipeout" video -- there's a photo of his head pasted onto a surfboard that Brian is holding in one scene. As for the vocals, I keep thinking I hear Jeff Foskett in the mix. If he's on there, he could be playing guitar too.

Jeff's not on it. That *may* be Adrian Baker.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx