gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:35:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jon's Capitol rooftop photos  (Read 4029 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

some of these were taken by Carrie Marks too...
http://jonstebbins.wg-net.com/reunion.html
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:35:44 PM »

Great pictures!   Thanks, Jon.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:25:30 PM »

Hey, is that Fred Vail peering in from the far right on that last photo?
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »

Hey, Jon, were there any Entertainment Tonight-type TV cameras and personalities around to catch the procedings on film to show on TV later?  Thanks.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:24:33 PM »

Thanks for posting. Great shots by you and Carrie!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:26:24 PM by andy » Logged
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 07:20:10 PM »

Lovely, Jon - thanks!  For what station were you covering the event?  I'd love to hear your coverage!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 07:57:36 PM »

Great photos, Jon -- thanks for sharing! And many thanks for getting those images of Carl and Dennis included in the event.

I saw some pix of the ceremony on the wire services and it looks like Jonah Wilson is in a couple of the shots. Was Justyn or any of Dennis' offspring there?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 08:51:01 PM »

Great photos, Jon -- thanks for sharing! And many thanks for getting those images of Carl and Dennis included in the event.

I saw some pix of the ceremony on the wire services and it looks like Jonah Wilson is in a couple of the shots. Was Justyn or any of Dennis' offspring there?

There were very few people other than press, Capitol execs, and Beach Boys and wives at this event. In fact that's why I went disguised as press...it was the only way to get in. I was the correspondent for Launch Radio and Dick Clark's United Networks which has 750 syndicated stations...thanks to them and Howie Edelson for hiring me to cover the event. All the wire services, NBC and other TV people were there.

Fred Vail, Mark London, Trisha Campo, and Mark Linett were among the few non-press people there. The Capitol roof has very limited capacity...but L.A. sure looks great from up there.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 10:29:07 PM »

They should've at least had one of Carl's and Dennis's children on hand to accept the award.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 10:59:07 PM »

They should've at least had one of Carl's and Dennis's children on hand to accept the award.

I completely agree...I did hear Jonah, Carl's son was there...though I didn't see him. I spent a moment alone viewing Dennis and Carl's Sounds of Summer platinum awards...on the Capitol roof, looking at their names, their awards, knowing they'd never hold them...and the sunshine and L.A. all around...that was kind of sad. But I sent a good vibe out to DW and Carl from myself and from ALL of you who care about them and keep their flame burning. I hope I don't sound like an idiot, but it was kind of a spiritual moment.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 11:40:39 PM »

I completely agree...I did hear Jonah, Carl's son was there...though I didn't see him. I spent a moment alone viewing Dennis and Carl's Sounds of Summer platinum awards...on the Capitol roof, looking at their names, their awards, knowing they'd never hold them...and the sunshine and L.A. all around...that was kind of sad. But I sent a good vibe out to DW and Carl from myself and from ALL of you who care about them and keep their flame burning. I hope I don't sound like an idiot, but it was kind of a spiritual moment.

Is that Matt Jardine in a few of the photos? I can't tell for sure. I suppose it makes sense if he was there, as he was pretty much a defacto Beach Boy in the later years.

I'm also glad to hear Carl and Dennis get their awards as well. Maybe if "Pacific Ocean Blue" ever gets reissued and deservedly sells a good amount of copies (2 million is unlikely, but it would no doubt sell well for a reissue), Dennis will get his own ceremony.

By the way Jon, do you think there will be any way to hear your interview material from the event? Are you able to post the audio on the web yourself? I would imagine most syndicated radio networks would only air snippets of comments.

I was also wondering, has the David Marks book gone to print yet? Can this reunion get a mention in the book, or is it too late? Might be a great place to get into the event in some detail.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »

Hi Jon, I know it's probably a bit too late into the editing process now but is there any chance of getting anything related to the Captiol Reunion into your new book? Zander  Undecided

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 10:37:37 AM »

There will be a mention of the Capitol rooftop reuinion and a photo at the very end of the book.

My coverage of the event has already been making the media rounds. Anything you hear about this on oldies radio was generated from me. But my voice or name isn't on any of it...my raw interviews will remain in my private library for now. I've got quite a collection after Dennis' book, Dave's book, and several events like this one...maybe someday I'll publish a book of interviews or a CD.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »

David and Carrie will be in Manhattan today giving an extensive interview to Launch Radio, for whom I covered the Captiol reunion. Stay tuned for excerpts.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »

Is that Matt Jardine in a few of the photos? I can't tell for sure. I suppose it makes sense if he was there, as he was pretty much a defacto Beach Boy in the later years.

I believe the guy to whom you refer is actually one of the Capitol execs who was there.  But MAN he looks like Jardine, doesn't he???

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »

I believe the guy to whom you refer is actually one of the Capitol execs who was there.  But MAN he looks like Jardine, doesn't he???

Yep. I first saw the guy in a shot where he was posing with the other BB's, and I think he had sunglasses on, and it looked like Matt Jardine, although even then I wasn't sure. I saw another pic of the guy standing off to the side without the sunglasses, and it certainly isn't Matt Jardine. Although, as you say, he does funnily enough look quite a bit like Matt Jardine.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx