gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681026 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 07:35:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peter Gabriel era Genesis  (Read 4722 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:44:02 AM »

Anyone like this era (1970-1975)of the band, its amazing, 10-20 minute songs, loads of musical hooks, its a bit like some of Brians writing in terms of amazing chords and melodies. Not a lot of youngsters are into them, but very neglected IMO. Much better than loads of other Prog stuff, cos its not all noodling around but theres just loads of good songs.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Jason
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 09:03:07 AM »

Infinitely preferable over the Phil Collins-led Genesis. In every possible way. Deal with it.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 02:57:19 PM »

I'm what you'd call a youngster I guess, I'm about to turn 24 in a few days. Anyway I've always loved all the Gabriel era Genesis stuff from '67 - '75 and I can get into a bit of what came in between '76 and '80 (but And Then There Were Three is dire. It's a transition/ identitiy crisis album gone horribly wrong imo. Duke was the last gasp, but for that one I had to tweak it, I put it on cd-r, shuffled the track order and dropped Misunderstanding.) Yes had a transistion/ identity crisis album too, but theirs, Drama from 1980  is actually quite good.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:18:20 PM »

I rejigged the running order of Duke too. Though I like misunderstanding, Trick of the tail and wind and wuthering are good too, but for me Selling England by the pound and Trespass are my favourites. Steve Hacketts first couple of albums are good as well.

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 06:11:57 PM »

Yeah, I really like Tresspass, all the albums from Foxtrot through Lamb, Wind and Wuthering and my re-tweezed Duke. I have a bit of a soft spot for the From Genesis to Revelation album and all the stuff on the Archive '67 - '75 boxed set too.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 06:39:05 AM »

Gabriel-era Genesis is the only Genesis in my mind.

Join the party as we wait for the reunion:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1176.0.html
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:13:09 AM »

Matt-Zeus,
  I'm a HUGE Gabriel Era Genesis fan!  Have you seen the Genesis Tribute band "The Musical Box"?
You'd swear you were watching the real thing.In fact,Genesis endorse "The Musical Box" as THE genesis cover band.
  I'm also a fan of Collin's era from Trick of the Tail to Duke.After that...forget it.
 Anybody out there "Supper's Ready","Watcher of the Skies" and "Musical Box" fans???
 I'm there IF they have a reunion.
 BTW,are you a Steve Hackett solo stuff fan?
Big Bri
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 01:44:48 AM »

Yeah i've seen Musical box 3 times! In Bristol doing the SEBTP tour and twice at the Albert Hall doing LLDOB and SEBTP. When I first saw them in Bristol it blew my mind, I couldn't believe all that stuff was live, when I heard that end keyboard solo in Cinema show I nearly wet my pants!
I like the first 3 or 4 Hackett albums - probably 'Voyage...' is my fave, but I like the Genesis revisited album he did too. I also like some Anthony Phillips stuff.
The first few collins albums are good and I have a soft spot for invisible touch because thats the first one I heard (when I was Cool. But We can't dance is the lowest point for me.

Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 04:24:39 AM »

Matt,
  I know what ya mean,the first time I saw the Musical Box about 3 years ago doing the SEBTP set,when they opened up with "Watcher" I said,"What the Foda"!! Seeing the Gabriel look-alike dressed in the Cape and Batwings sent a chill right up my spine.I have the Bootleg video of Genesis from 1973 that has been around for years.So I knew what to expect.I've seen SEBTP show Twice and "the Lamb" show Twice also.
  What did you think of the Bass pedals during "Firth of Fifth"? The whole foundation of the venues I've seen TMB at shook with the vibration from the bass pedals.Awesome display of Genesis power!!
Big Bri
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 05:00:45 AM »

I love the bass pedals, the fact that 'Rutherford' was playing those plus a double necked bass/12 string is incredible. Plus hearing a real mellotron was amazing (I love 70s keyboards). I think I preferred seeing the SEBTP as opposed to the Lamb which I took my girlfriend to, I don't think she enjoyed it as much as me!
I think Genesis of this era is some of the best music ever made, utterly magical. I would love to hear more unreleased tracks, I have the archive 1 box set which is very dear to me (Let us now make love is one of my favourites - can't believe it was never released), I know there's a lot of rumours of reunions, which i hope will happen (with Gabriel), they are one of the very few classic rock bands who are a)Not drug or alcohol damaged b) alive c) on good terms d) all good writers in their own right.
BTW I have a semi official (Official in Germany) Genesis bootleg DVD which is the a 1973 concert with a couple of other clips from American TV shows, its virtually identical to the Musical Box playing.

Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 08:02:38 AM »

It's what The Musical Box studied to get Gabriel's stage visuals down.
I too Love 70's keyboards.Especially the ARP Pro-solist,Hammond T-102? and B-3 organs,Mellotron(of course) and from '76 on when Rutherford used the MOOG Taurus Bass Pedals.Nothing in this world like the sound of those Bass pedals.
Have you ever heard RUSH using them on "Xanadu" and "Jacobs Ladder"?
Killer Matt.
Big Bri
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 10:46:42 AM »

No, never got into Rush. The only other proggy bands I got into were a bit of Yes, Stackridge (amazing) and Van der graaf generator.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx