gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:21:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who do you want to see Brian cover on his R&R album?  (Read 16724 times)
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2015, 04:52:26 PM »

I guess "Ubangi Stomp" would be out of the question.

The original of "Ubangi Stomp" is exactly the type of material I have always envisaged for this rock'n'roll album of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQ-1OG0mEQ

You're right, it wouldn't count as a Jerry Lee Lewis cover, although Mr. Lewis did it better than Mr. Smith.

My impression is that Brian has often been a little defensive about some of his music. Like when he promises the crowd that his band will really be rockin' after they play this next pretty ballad. I think he's offered the R&R album as a safe answer to questions about what he's going to do next. So I  doubt that a true R&R album will be coming our way.

(But if it happens, Brian should consider the Trashmen's "Bird Dance Beat". I'd pay big money to hear that.)

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »

My personal wish list aside, it would be awesome to have an album of Brian singing his favorite songs, free of any notions of genre or style and having him cut loose to do his versions of the music he enjoys most.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »

With Brian's current voice I'm not seeing the logic of a rock n roll album unless others do the great majority of the leads, with a strong emphasis on BW doing his classic background vocals.  The concept really makes a lot more sense as a Beach Boys album than a BW solo album, IMO.  Also needed is a huge emphasis on guitars, as found in the BB's early work.
I think this is a good point.

Any talk of a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson "Rock 'N' Roll" album really does evoke images of the earlier, more guitar-driven material.

I'm not sure that the more keyboard-laden work of, well... almost everything put out by Brian since those early days, lends itself to the R'N'R sound quite as well.  At the very least, not as 'classically.'

And more than a few have mentioned Brian's voice.  Don't get me wrong: Brian's vocals have seen a wonderful resurgence of late and I think he sounds wonderful on NPP.

But it's not necessarily a voice which cries out "rock'n'roll" to me, either.

The other consideration, I think, is the production.

Who knows?  It might be incredible.  It would certainly be different.  But do we want to hear a seventy year old B-Dub singing Chuck Berry songs arranged for keyboards with an adult contemporary mix?

Maybe give us two-out-of-three?  Brian singing these classics with a guitar backing and a raunchier, less... "safe" production?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »

He could do an Ozzie song,,, they have similar voices...
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »

I can't really picture Brian pulling off "Iron Man." Maybe "Changes"
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »

Who knows?  It might be incredible.  It would certainly be different.  But do we want to hear a seventy year old B-Dub singing Chuck Berry songs arranged for keyboards with an adult contemporary mix?

Dear God no! Two guitars, bass, piano and drums only please.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »

Dear God no! Two guitars, bass, piano and drums only please.

Hear! Hear!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »

Y'know what I would love rather than hearing Brian Wilson singing songs that I personally like and have no bearing on his life or music (which is a silly game, anyway) -- I would love an album of new (or finally finished) songs entirely written (music and lyrics) by Brian.

He can do it -- "Good Kind Of Love" is f***ing major.
I would wait FOUR YEARS and release that album.

No more covers. Let every new BW release from here on out be the event it deserves to be.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2015, 08:02:22 PM »

Y'know what I would love rather than hearing Brian Wilson singing songs that I personally like and have no bearing on his life or music (which is a silly game, anyway) -- I would love an album of new (or finally finished) songs entirely written (music and lyrics) by Brian.

He can do it -- "Good Kind Of Love" is f***ing major.
I would wait FOUR YEARS and release that album.

No more covers. Let every new BW release from here on out be the event it deserves to be.

Ya...I didn't 'say' it but 14-0 was really the number I was going for.  Adding covers was a Beach Boys thing...and he added lots of them to their projects almost from the get-go...so, in keeping with his roots, I COULD go for 1 or 2 but 0 would be better.   We had Gershwin and Disney covers out the wazoo.  Good enough. 

As for Brian doin' an Ozzie tune...When I first heard 'Dreamer' on the radio I strained to HEAR it...and it went w/o an extro or backsell.  I wondered at the time if it was Brian.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »

How about some rock'n'roll comedy, for example Ray Stevens' "Bridget The Midget"?   
yes or "Pancreas" or "Trigger Happy." by Weird Al
YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2015, 01:55:16 AM »

I want a "Brian Wilson Does Fear2Stop" album. Absolutely nobody here is going to get that reference.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »

I want a "Brian Wilson Does Fear2Stop" album. Absolutely nobody here is going to get that reference.  Grin

I do Wink

I'd think it'd be killer if Brian did ELO'S Strange Magic one day.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2015, 02:11:51 AM »

He might do a good version of "Telephone Line" by ELO.

KDS
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2015, 05:32:57 AM »

If Brian were to cover an Ozzy Osbourne song, I think The Road to Nowhere could be an interesting song.  If Johnny Cash can cover Soundgarden's Rusty Cage, than this could work.  Speaking of which, if Brian does another album of originals, I've love to see Rick Rubin come into the fold. 

Maybe Brian could do an album similar to the one Pat Boone a few years back with hard rock / heavy metal covers in his style. 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2015, 07:29:41 AM »

BW&Billy need to tour!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »

Covers albums are, to me, just about the least exciting things in the world, whoever we're talking about that's making them.  Not to say I've never heard a good cover - there are plenty of them, where artists really reconfigure the original into something unique.  But it's usually just a song here and there amidst all the original material.  "Take Me To The River" by Talking Heads, "Satisfaction" by Devo, etc.  I've almost never heard an album that was entirely/near entirely covers that didn't just seem like  filler at best or embarrassing at worst.  (By "covers" I mean of pop/rock songs - the Gershwin album, for example, was a little different in that regard, and I actually like how it turned out, though even that being said I have very little desire in re-listening to it on a regular basis vs. listening to one of the original albums.)

So the idea of Brian doing a "rock & roll covers album" holds zero appeal to me.  *shrugs*

I wish he'd embrace the idea of not feeling like he needs to put out these big album releases all the time anymore.  Let him knock out an original song or two here and there and release them as digital singles, with videos even.  But I know Brian's got a very old-school mindset about releases.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »

Brian Wilson singing Touch Me would be interesting. Even more interesting would be The End.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:10:10 PM by Capitol Punishment » Logged

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »

I think he and his band are up for a rollicking good cover of Highway to Hell .   Why, one can just imagine the sweet harmony and the electric guitar.

I just want to add at this juncture when people are suggesting Ozzie covers, that I was joking when I first posted this.   this is silliness.     Reminds me of the Pat Boone does heavy metal project from a few years ago.   As if his 50's covers weren't silly enough.   I'm with the posters that just want BW to do his best stuff of his own choosing.  Might stumble onto another Morning Beat/Spector type groove.   Invite Darlene Love as guest.   I've got to say that Brian still puts out songs and covers songs with great melodies.     Love the newer material along with the Gershwin stuff.  
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »

I think he and his band are up for a rollicking good cover of Highway to Hell .   Why, one can just imagine the sweet harmony and the electric guitar.

I just want to add at this juncture when people are suggesting Ozzie covers, that I was joking when I first posted this.   this is silliness.     Reminds me of the Pat Boone does heavy metal project from a few years ago.   As if his 50's covers weren't silly enough.   I'm with the posters that just want BW to do his best stuff of his own choosing.  Might stumble onto another Morning Beat/Spector type groove.   Invite Darlene Love as guest.   I've got to say that Brian still puts out songs and covers songs with great melodies.     Love the newer material along with the Gershwin stuff.  

Actually, some Ozzie covers might appeal to him. I'm sure Murry played Ozzie Nelson's music around the house occasionally. Myself, though, I'd be more interested in hearing Brian do one of Rick Nelson's songs.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:35 PM »

BW&Billy need to tour!
Dear Lord, please make this happen.  Grin

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2015, 01:56:28 AM »

Nobody at all. Who at this point in time wants Brian Wilson to cover other peoples' songs?

Pleasure Island should be a completely original  34 minute odyssey of the hardest hitting rock music we've heard from Brian Wilson since a little ditty known as Don't Back Down.

No mas, por favor.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2015, 09:43:15 AM »

The kind of Rock'n'Roll Brian is influenced by seems to be more of the pop version like Bill Haley on one side and on the other the R'n'B big band sound of Little Richard and Fats Domino a.o. plus of course the whole Doo Wop groups. An exception is Chuck Berry. Otherwise, although he clearly loves Elvis (and he did perform "His latest flame" during the Wilson-Johnston-Stamos jam session) I don't think that is the kind of style he's going for. Adding to that many Presley songs (for example "Jailhouse Rock" which was mentioned in this thread) are b!tches to sing and quite frankly, I don't think Brian could do a good job on them. I could imagine him doing "Don't be cruel" though. After all he produced a very nice version of this in '78 for the Honeys. Also possible are Presley songs in the same style: "All shook up" "Teddy bear" "Paralyzed" "Stuck on you".
I imagine a Rock'n'Roll album in Brian's way more being something like 15 Big Ones though.

But let's think about it. We know he recorded at least one version of "Proud Mary" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odypejBMQjg). He mentioned in an interview he wanted to record "Johnny B. goode" (I'd like to hear the 1980 Beach Boys recording btw) and he also performed it in concert (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvvTHzCZ9A). He had a short version of Little Richard's "Keep a knockin'" in his set as well (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D81R-EQ_EoI). So those three are good candidates I think. And he already recorded Buddy Holly's "Listen to me" and also "I'm into something good".

Since Brian said he wanted to do fast, rocking numbers I don't think ballads would be used. But should he, then I guess "Earth angel" is the kind of song we would be hearing.

All in all, if we're talking about Brian's Rock'n'Roll album (and I exclude from this songs by McCartney etc.) I think we should look into the early to mid 60s output by R'n'B-influenced pop-girl groups like what was released on Leiber&Stoller's Red Bird label plus of course stuff done by Spector. That kind of pop music seems more to match with what Brian understands as Rock'n'Roll. I'd be up for that. There are so many great songs and records from that time.

How about a Brian version of "Bull dog"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzqQj9Cq3w

"Bermuda shorts" seems to be a favorite of Brian and Mike from their early pre-Beach Boys days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccbGzayOuhc

And during the last Beach Boys tour he and Mike talked about another oldie. I don't remember which one it was. It wasn't Jimmie Rodgers' "Honeycomb", was it?

On a sidenote: I just wanted to state that I love the Beach Boys' version of "Remember (walking in the sand)". What a fantastic performance by all and an incredible Carl lead.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:05:39 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »

DO I LOVE YOU by the Ronettes

in the fall of 2007 I was given the opportunity by Alan Boyd to direct a video shoot at a Bel Air cocktail mixer and mini concert for Brian and guests celebrating the upcoming Kennedy Center Awards.  Lots of A list folks there; David Anderle, Van Dyke Parks, Henry Rollins ( a HUGE Beach Boys / Brian Wilson fan - he loved the mid / late 70s albums like Love You and MIU), etc.  After the show, I was at the bar getting a water, when Brian walked up for the same thing.  He had been rounding up his kids to leave.

I thanked him for a wonderful show (which included a live performance of Midnight's Another Day) and asked him if I remembered "Do I Love You."

He said, "Yeah."

I said, "I'd love to hear you cover that some day."

His eyes narrowed.  He nodded, and said, "Well, you never know."

That's one of the greatest songs of all time. Don't know why it wasn't a bigger hit.

Also, if Brian wants to do a rock & roll covers album, then I'd be happy to own it. I can't see the perspective of "I'd rather get another album of originals," because I view them as completely different entities. Cover albums are fun for the artist and pretty easy and quick to crank out.

We know how long it takes Brian to write songs at this point, so complaining about receiving some additional material in between seems odd.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:22:58 AM by startBBtoday » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »

DO I LOVE YOU by the Ronettes

in the fall of 2007 I was given the opportunity by Alan Boyd to direct a video shoot at a Bel Air cocktail mixer and mini concert for Brian and guests celebrating the upcoming Kennedy Center Awards.  Lots of A list folks there; David Anderle, Van Dyke Parks, Henry Rollins ( a HUGE Beach Boys / Brian Wilson fan - he loved the mid / late 70s albums like Love You and MIU), etc.  After the show, I was at the bar getting a water, when Brian walked up for the same thing.  He had been rounding up his kids to leave.

I thanked him for a wonderful show (which included a live performance of Midnight's Another Day) and asked him if he remembered "Do I Love You."

He said, "Yeah."

I said, "I'd love to hear you cover that some day."

His eyes narrowed.  He nodded, and said, "Well, you never know."

That's one of the greatest songs of all time. Don't know why it wasn't a bigger hit.

Agreed! It knocks spots off "Be My Baby".   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »

This should be a Beach Boys album. Enough with the solo stiff's...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx