gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:09:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who do you want to see Brian cover on his R&R album?  (Read 16725 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 05:24:19 AM »

Dixie Lily by Elton John.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 06:16:17 AM »

I would have loved to see the Best Boys do a Dion/ Dion and the Belmonts Album.
When or Where
I wonder Why
Drip Drop
Teenager  in Love
Lonely Teenager
Ruby Baby
Diane
Teenager in LOve
Abraham Martin and John
Ect Ect
I think it would have been awesome.
I can only imagine what Brian could have done production wise
For a current
No Particular Place to go  Chuck Berry
 I wonder Why<I lOve> Dion and the Belmonts
Rockin Robin Bobby Day
Bird Dog E Brothers
Suspicion Terry Stafford
Little Honda  The Beach Boys
Crazy Horses The OSmonds
Sherry The Seasons
Please Please me, The other B group
Johnny B Goode Chuck again
PAppa Oom Mow Mow 3rd time is a charm

or maybe just include his original cut of Drip Drop? Kinda like he did with In The Back Of My Mind (1975)?  Grin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:17:39 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 06:28:21 AM »

Nothing in Brian's solo career suggests that he either has the voice or production style to suit a rock and roll album.

It would be a collection of anaemic Desert Drives.

I'd much prefer Brian to stick to the mature style he's developed over the past few years.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 06:35:31 AM »

The Chimes-Once In A While. Great doo-wop.
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 06:37:35 AM »

Jet..........McCartney......his voice could do this and his band would go wild
River Deep Mountain High.....he's not Tina Turner, but he is Phil Spector
Your Pushing Too Hard...Seeds....it doesn't get better than this
Wild Thing....Trogs.....what can I say?
Dirty Water...Standellls...Get Down, Brian!
7 and 7 Is.....Mr. Lee and Love....This is getting serious....
KDS
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 06:39:35 AM »

Nothing in Brian's solo career suggests that he either has the voice or production style to suit a rock and roll album.

I'd much prefer Brian to stick to the mature style he's developed over the past few years.

I agree 100%.  

And do we really want another BW covers album?  In the last decade alone, we've had All I Really Want for Christmas, the Gershwin album, and the Disney album.  

Over the same decade, we've also been treated to BW originals on That Lucky Old Sun, TWGMTR, and No Pier Pressure.  

I much prefer the latter three records personally.  I fear a attempt at a rock and roll record at this late stage in the game would result in 15 Big Ones Part 2.  
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 07:23:23 AM »

I agree 100%.  

And do we really want another BW covers album?  In the last decade alone, we've had All I Really Want for Christmas, the Gershwin album, and the Disney album.  

Over the same decade, we've also been treated to BW originals on That Lucky Old Sun, TWGMTR, and No Pier Pressure.  

I much prefer the latter three records personally.  I fear a attempt at a rock and roll record at this late stage in the game would result in 15 Big Ones Part 2.  

I'm with you guys. This talk about a rock and roll record for years and years led me to believe it was going to be new material not covers.

If Brian does put out another album, I would like it to have a couple of really up beat rocking tracks. With Blondie and Rickey back in the fold again, it would be great to cut some new tracks with the energy those guys brought to "In Concert". Something new that is not trying to rock like "California Calling" tried and failed, but a true fresh tune that gets people on their feet. One is never too old for a kick ass drum beat.

Anyone know if Scott Bennett has written/worked on anything new that rocks?
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »

SUMMER’S DAY SONGS – Brian Wilson Salutes Great Modern  Songwriters
1.   The Invitation – (Falkner)
2.   The Ghost at Number 1 – (Sturmer/Manning)
3.   London’s Brilliant Parade – (McManus)
4.   Oh Well, Okay – (Smith)
5.   When The Hangover Strikes – (Difford-Tilbrook)
6.   Summer’s Day Song – (McCartney)
7.   Wrapped in Grey – (Partridge)
8.   All That That Implies – (Penn)
9.   Amateur – (Mann-Brion)
10.   Strings That Tie To You – (Brion)
11.   Catherine Wheels – (Finn-Finn)
12.   Time of No Reply – (Drake)
13.   Curtains – (John-Taupin)
CD Trader in Reseda must have some great donators—besides that Brother Records bonus track CD set, this thing turned up just recently. I saw only the one copy, so I grabbed it. (Anybody else get one?)
It has a copyright date of 2015 on it, so my guess is this is a test pressing of next Christmas’ offering—I can’t imagine this is the “rock’n’roll” album we’ve been promised repeatedly, as a number of these tracks are pretty laid back. But wow: what a track list it is. I guess Brian really likes melody and harmony—go figure, with covers of everything from Macca to Jellyfish to Elliott Smith.
No way to tell at this point if these are rough mixes—they sound pretty slick to me, but who knows if they are final?
Here are my thoughts on a quick, first-time spin on the ol’ CD player:
1.   The Invitation- this is longer and lusher than the little song scrap that kicks off Jason Falkner’s second solo album, “Can You Still Feel?” The orchestra is lush and suitable for Great American Songbook tunes, and Brian’s voice soars here—uber-romantic.
2.   The Ghost at Number One – I was afraid this one was too obvious a choice, but on hearing it, I no longer care: it’s perfect for BW. It’s not quite as hard-hitting on the verses as the Jellyfish original is, but it’s more…bouncy. The middle-8 (“Mrs. Lynne, the fruit of your labors…”) is, I daresay, arranged even a little better than the original. Enchanting.
3.   London’s Brilliant Parade – it feels a little weird hearing Brian sing about something so English—maybe it’s a tribute to the land where the BBs hit it extra-big? But it’s an Elvis song, making the “praise” fairly dark. But the melody is the star here. Is BW hitting all those high notes? Or is Jeff lurking about in there somewhere?
4.   Oh Well, Okay – this may be my favorite so far. I have no idea when Brian started listening to Elliott, but Jesus,  this is fantastic. The “whine” of Wilson’s voice just brings out the pathos of the lyrics like you wouldn’t believe. Whoever does the solo on this needs a pat on the back too—being as there aren’t any credits on the CD, I have no idea who it is, and can’t recognize styles enough to say.
5.   When the Hangover Strikes – this isn’t especially unique, and the arrangement feels just a little too Diana Krall for me, but it’s nice enough. I still prefer the original (by Squeeze).
6.   Summer’s Day Song – Wonder when this was recorded—could this be an outtake offering for the “Art of McCartney” CD? It’s pretty plain to begin with—not so different from “Wanderlust”—then the friggin’ harmonies come sweeping in in the last verse. Seriously, you will want to cry. Even better than Paul’s version, which I already loved.
7.   Wrapped in Grey – Okay, this is my OTHER favorite. I thought maybe “Pale and Precious” might be a better XTC cover choice for Brian—I now take that thought back.  This is simply breathtaking. When he gets to the part “Awaken you dreamers”, you’ll feel like you’re lifting off of the ground.
8.   All That That Implies – a Michael Penn cover. I remember reading a long time ago that one of Penn’s early albums was a BW favorite—can’t recall which one. It’s pretty cool to hear Penn’s acerbic lyrics floating out across Brian’s voice—a good combo of salty and sweet. A nice surprise, surprise, surprise…
9.   Amateur – Interesting: now we have a cover by Penn’s wife Aimee Mann! (I see that it’s co-written with Jon Brion; more about him later.) This is really nice—the melody always seemed a bit Burt Bacharach than Brian Wilson, but hey—it works. There’s a female vocal doing the harmony, and it doesn’t sound like Amy. Maybe Taylor? Maybe a young new guest star I’m too old to know? Wish those credits were here.
10.   Strings That Tie To You – hey, it’s Jon Brion again. A Brian/Brion effort, you might say. And I’m betting some of the instruments here might be Jon as well—I hear a Chamberlin for sure, and maybe an Edison cylinder in there somewhere. This is crisper than the super-soft version on “Eternal Sunshine”, which to me serves the melody better.
11.   Catherine Wheels – a Crowded House song from near the end of their first incarnation. This has got to be Al on the harmony vocal—it sure sounds like him. Wow. BB magic yet again. I bet the BW camp had a hard time picking what Crowded House song to cover—I’d forgotten how great this one really is.
12.   Time of No Reply – a very sparse arrangement, this—mostly just piano and acoustic guitar. This is great, but it almost bothers me—the lyric always sounded just a hair morbid, but the tune is just so damn beautiful. With all Brian has been through, it just feels a little…heavy.
13.   Curtains – from Captain Fantastic. Following the Nick Drake song, it could easily have been even more morbid. It ain’t. It’s joyous, especially Brian’s vocal arrangement, which adds lots of counterpoint harmonies over the “lum-de-lay” fadeout. This could be Brian’s “Hey Jude”. Fantastic. An unusual and uplifting way to end the album.
Again, my presumption is that this isn’t the “rock’n’roll” album we keep hearing about, but maybe a placeholder disk until that happens—sort of a BW “Hunky Dory”, if that makes sense? Whether it is or not, this is a covers album that will be very hard to beat.

Wink
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 07:58:12 AM »

I think the quality of the new LP should be allowed to breathe awhile.

I don't think the Disney LP following so closely on the heels of Gershwin particularly did Gershwin any favors.

Personally, seeing as how Townshend, McCartney, Dylan, and Simon have moved forward while also moving back in terns of historical releases, I really think the time is right for an extended set of Brian's demos hitting the market. You wanna talk about an industry buzz? You wanna see a Grammy nom? That's the way. A winner across the board.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 08:30:28 AM »

or maybe just include his original cut of Drip Drop? Kinda like he did with In The Back Of My Mind (1975)?  Grin

I would love to hear this track start out with his original cut of Drip Drop, the first verse and chorus, then the recording gets all warped and Brian cuts in with a newly recorded 2015 version of this song. Blondie could double track the verse vocals, and Brian, Al, and Blondie could all sing harmonies for the chorus.

I also think that Brian should get some of the old crew together to work on this album - get Carol Kaye to play some bass, etc, bring in Tony Asher to write an original song for the last track of the album. I would love to hear harmony rich covers - I can just hear how amazing a slowed down cover of 'She Loves You' by the Beatles would be.

A radio sort of theme would be killer for this album - interlude a DJ voice every few songs, pretending all these songs are being played from a kickass radio station....hell, a fake advertisement for the Radiant Radish would be so cool to hear for an intermission. Brian loves his a cappella/harmony rich intros, he could do an intro in the classic style of their radio promos ("Wonderful KYA"-esque). Even an interview with the artist himself before the last track would be nice. This could really be a great concept album.

Also, I'm more and more hopeful that this rock and roll album will see the light of day. Brian has mentioned it at least 10+ times in the last few months....during interviews and Q&As. I know he has mentioned it so much in the past, but it seems like there is a much greater emphasis on it lately.

Also, I somewhat agree with you Howie (that NPP should be allowed to breathe for a while), but I also think that Brian should work on anything he wants while he still can. I agree there should be a historical release of his demo tracks (oh please where the hell are the bedroom tapes, Capitol??), but time is limited and the future is always uncertain. I don't really care about grammy nominations or industry buzz too much - I just want to hear all I can from this man while he's still able to sing, compose, and record. edit: though I should add I totally see the importance for industry buzz. It's a tightrope walk indeed, so I totally get where you're coming from.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:33:13 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 08:41:55 AM »

How about some rock'n'roll comedy, for example Ray Stevens' "Bridget The Midget"?   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 09:24:44 AM »

How about some rock'n'roll comedy, for example Ray Stevens' "Bridget The Midget"?   
yes or "Pancreas" or "Trigger Happy." by Weird Al
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »

DO I LOVE YOU by the Ronettes

in the fall of 2007 I was given the opportunity by Alan Boyd to direct a video shoot at a Bel Air cocktail mixer and mini concert for Brian and guests celebrating the upcoming Kennedy Center Awards.  Lots of A list folks there; David Anderle, Van Dyke Parks, Henry Rollins ( a HUGE Beach Boys / Brian Wilson fan - he loved the mid / late 70s albums like Love You and MIU), etc.  After the show, I was at the bar getting a water, when Brian walked up for the same thing.  He had been rounding up his kids to leave.

I thanked him for a wonderful show (which included a live performance of Midnight's Another Day) and asked him if I remembered "Do I Love You."

He said, "Yeah."

I said, "I'd love to hear you cover that some day."

His eyes narrowed.  He nodded, and said, "Well, you never know."

barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 09:59:45 AM »

No one has suggested a  Jerry Lee Lewis  cover.... Come on you guys        I do think his backing band line-up DOES have ability to pull off a R&R album but just don't know how successful this will be.......however I do feel a cover album "could" lead to some mending off the fences having M&B contribute which, hopefully could lead to one last Beach Boys tour.......yeah yeah I know I'm dreaming !!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »

I don't want him to do any.  This album sounds like an awful idea.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »

No one has suggested a  Jerry Lee Lewis  cover.... Come on you guys        

so we know that Brian is still talking about that R&R album, so who do you think he should cover? he says he wants to do Chuck Berry, and Paul McCartney and we know he also wants to do "proud Mary." and he already did a Paul McCartney song as well as a Buddy Holly song, and he did songs like "Sweets for my sweets" and "Irene Goodnight." in the past... here's my list (s0ngs that I can picture him actually doing, his range etc, and also songs that may not be huge hits but great songs that he could do cool arrangements for)

3. Jerry Lee Lewis- "Breakup" or  "High school Confidential"

I guess "Ubangi Stomp" would be out of the question.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrQJqKQeiQ
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:33:17 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »

Unless the tracklisting ended up being pretty darn esoteric and unexpected, I don’t find the idea of a “rock and roll covers” album terribly interesting.

There is probably enough stuff on the cutting room floor from NPP and TWGMTR to put together another “new” album. Even if Jeff Beck was a total d**k during and after the 2013 tour, it sounds like some of the stuff Brian and Al sang on that they cut with Beck sounded really interesting.

There would no doubt be some interesting Brian twists on any covers album he does. If he tackles such an album as simply covering his contemporaries and choosing interesting stuff that suits him, it *could* be interesting. As opposed to literally covering classic “rock and roll” stuff from the 50’s and early 60’s, which could be interesting or really rote and predictable. I really have no interest in hearing Brian cover “Great Balls of Fire.” Remember that cover he did a few years back of “California Sun” from that Curious George soundtrack? I don’t need an album of *that*.

If he does the sort of album where he covers McCartney’s “Let It Be”, I dunno. But if he really tried to tackle something like “Dear Boy”, *that* could be interesting. If he does another “covers” album, I’d rather see a bunch of song titles I *don’t* recognize than see a tracklisting that looks like one of those “Malt Shop Memories” CDs they sell at Target.

I certainly have little interest in seeing him cover himself, even on something like “Surf City.” That was done hundreds of times in concert by the Beach Boys in the 80’s and 90’s, with Mike singing, who probably would have sung it had the BB’s cut it in the 60’s. That’s good enough.

Also, if, and I stress only *if* anybody cares how critics treat a hypothetical new Brian album, I’m not sure how kind they will be in pointing out this would be his third album of largely covers in six or seven years or so.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »

Also not a fan of covers. Its a bit like when an artist has done 'God Only Knows' over the years. Sounds nice but its impossible to improve on the original so why even bother?

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »

I would take rock n roll like "Morning Beat" and "Country Feelings", i.e., original Brian rocking out.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »

With Brian's current voice I'm not seeing the logic of a rock n roll album unless others do the great majority of the leads, with a strong emphasis on BW doing his classic background vocals.  The concept really makes a lot more sense as a Beach Boys album than a BW solo album, IMO.  Also needed is a huge emphasis on guitars, as found in the BB's early work.

A lot of great suggestions in this thread thus far, my favorite being Steve Latshaw's suggestion of the Ronettes "Do I Love You".  But some newly composed tunes would be really nice as well.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:36:56 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »

I fear a attempt at a rock and roll record at this late stage in the game would result in 15 Big Ones Part 2.  

That's it! This could be his big opportunity to make amends for 15 Big Ones and cut the album of oldies originally projected back in '76.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 02:33:25 PM »

I guess "Ubangi Stomp" would be out of the question.

The original of "Ubangi Stomp" is exactly the type of material I have always envisaged for this rock'n'roll album of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQ-1OG0mEQ

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »

I hadn't given it much thought until now, but I agree that Brian's voice may no longer be suited for a rock and roll album. Someone said he should do "Wild Thing." OMG, that would be a train wreck!!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:37 PM »

I fear a attempt at a rock and roll record at this late stage in the game would result in 15 Big Ones Part 2. 

That's it! This could be his big opportunity to make amends for 15 Big Ones and cut the album of oldies originally projected back in '76.   
think abou it, its been stated that there was a 3 yr gap between albums after holland BUT being that 15 big ones was a covers&old outtakes album it was actually a 4 yr gap. And with Love you being brian's album it was evident why they gravitated toward the "oldies". The mid 70s (74-7) was like a new renaissance for rock with the BBs comeback and the advent of punk with the ramones, cramps, etc. But as stated in earlier replies for brian to do a covers/tribute record would be kinda pointless..hes done a few of those already in recent yrs.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »

Not sure I want to have a 'Brian Wilson Reimagines Rock 'n' Roll'...or 'Songs in the Key of [the] 50s' album.  Brian has been talking about this Rock 'n' Roll style project for quite a few years.  The covers part of it seems to have become more of the working concept lately.

One thing about the tunes back then...They were usually really short.  2:00- 2:40.  Worked for him [and the boys] back in the day too.  I guess there's enough time to make it work and squeeze in all the creativity elements in the 21st century so why not?   I would MUCHLY prefer though maybe 10 NEW Brian tunes and 4 covers...or 11 and 3...or 12 and 2.  To try and out-do the accrued cache of that many original CLASSIC hits would be a tough barometer to go up against for ANYONE.  And...think about it Brian...ALL of your successful albums had variety, tempo changes, some songs more complex...some a little simpler.  Why saddle yourself wit a less dimensional blueprint?

But then again...No Pier Pressure reminds me that you DO know what you're doing.  I'm just a consumer.  [a Brian Wilson fan with exceptionally good taste.]  Wow the bejesus out of me.  Whenever you provide the 'creative' you do just that.  ROCK AND ROLL Brian!!! Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx