gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:32:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson - 1st soloalbum-rerelease news!  (Read 29797 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »

The songwriting is a far bigger problem than any production issues IMO. It feels rushed like all the songs were written on the same day. Still a handful of good songs across the 2 albums though.

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2015, 02:54:06 PM »

I think 'suck' may be a bit too strong...

Depends on how you define not sucking, I guess.  Compare Good Vibrations and Surf's Up to say,  What You Gonna Do Bout Me and The Grammy.  Tough for me not to use the word 'sucks' in that context.  Totally agree with the rest of your comments, though.

Not sucking!  Let's see, how 'bout "Not creating a partial vacuum with one's mouth?"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2015, 03:02:00 AM »

Hold Me is one of my favorite songs of all time. I'm looking forward to having it on cd.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2015, 03:21:22 AM »

Hold Me is one of my favorite songs of all time. I'm looking forward to having it on cd.  Grin

It's a nice song. But as someone on this board once pointed out, it uses Brian's melody of "Funky pretty" in the chorus.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2015, 03:49:42 AM »

I don't hear it, to be honest

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »

The bland production, lack of edge or punch is a problem for Carl's BB songs for that era, especially when you compare them with live versions. Take KTSA  especially and Living with a Heartache .  If the studio version of KTSA sounded anything like the TV and live appearances, it's probably a bigger hit. Bruce has stated on a few occasions that he pushed for an edgier KTSA and Carl refused. Would explain why other songs have the same problem because Carl was calling the shots.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2015, 07:25:26 AM »

I'm quite intrigued to hear the remastered version of 'Seems So Long Ago' I have to say.  Cool Guy
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

It's a nice song. But as someone on this board once pointed out, it uses Brian's melody of "Funky pretty" in the chorus.
It's similar, but many pop songs sound similar. If you're going to sound similar to someone, it might as well be your brother.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »

What is that some of you have particularly against "The Grammy"?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2015, 03:21:22 AM »

This from Billy:

Just completed writing the liner notes for the recently discovered gem of a single "This Is Elvis" written and recorded in 1980 by Carl Wilson and Myrna Smith - it will be launched on iTunes in a few weeks with all proceeds benefitting The Carl Wilson Foundation (CWF) ...

On another note:

This soundtrack was recently re-released in a deluxe version by Sony's Elvis collector label "Follow that dream":

http://elvispresleyshop.com/this-is-elvis-ftd-expanded-edition-classic-album-format-2-cd-elvis-presley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2015, 05:29:55 AM »

The bland production, lack of edge or punch is a problem for Carl's BB songs for that era, especially when you compare them with live versions. Take KTSA  especially and Living with a Heartache .  If the studio version of KTSA sounded anything like the TV and live appearances, it's probably a bigger hit. Bruce has stated on a few occasions that he pushed for an edgier KTSA and Carl refused. Would explain why other songs have the same problem because Carl was calling the shots.

That is an interesting about KTSA/Bruce.  I agree, the live version is much better.  I also think with a few lyrical changes to make it, I don't know, more adult sounding, could have improved it.  "Ice Cream Weather"?  Cold beer weather, Ice chest weather, anything would be better than ice cream.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 08:13:38 AM »

Heaven: Iconoclassic Reissues Carl Wilson’s Solo Debut, Analogue Continues Beach Boys On SACD

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/09/23/heaven-iconoclassic-reissues-carl-wilsons-solo-debut-analogue-continues-beach-boys-on-sacd/

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

That is an interesting about KTSA/Bruce.  I agree, the live version is much better.  I also think with a few lyrical changes to make it, I don't know, more adult sounding, could have improved it.  "Ice Cream Weather"?  Cold beer weather, Ice chest weather, anything would be better than ice cream.

That opening lyric was a signal to everyone who bought the album back in 1980 that they had been totally f*cked over.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »

That opening lyric was a signal to everyone who bought the album back in 1980 that they had been totally f*cked over.
Speak for yourself. I didn't feel that way at all. Not even a little bit.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2015, 06:35:12 PM »

Speak for yourself. I didn't feel that way at all. Not even a little bit.
Me, neither. "Ice cream weather" is my favorite time of year.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »

This from Billy:

Just completed writing the liner notes for the recently discovered gem of a single "This Is Elvis" written and recorded in 1980 by Carl Wilson and Myrna Smith - it will be launched on iTunes in a few weeks with all proceeds benefitting The Carl Wilson Foundation (CWF) ...

On another note:

This soundtrack was recently re-released in a deluxe version by Sony's Elvis collector label "Follow that dream":

http://elvispresleyshop.com/this-is-elvis-ftd-expanded-edition-classic-album-format-2-cd-elvis-presley

Wait... what?  Carl recorded a song called This Is Elvis?  For what?  Why??

BTW -- I have the FTD of This Is Elvis -- love it!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2015, 01:24:01 AM »

This from Billy:

On another note:

Wait... what?  Carl recorded a song called This Is Elvis?  For what?  Why??

Check out this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19879.0.html

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2015, 05:42:59 AM »

The "This Is Elvis" track is something I would describe as much more a Myrna Smith track with Carl on backing vocal(s). Wonderful to hear his voice, but she is much more prominent on this one.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2015, 08:42:13 AM »

Not worthy of either Carl or Elvis, I'm afraid.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2015, 10:43:11 AM »

Looks like it came out, but mine didn't ship yesterday - or last Friday (new universal release date).  Got Amazon e-mail yesterday saying they couldn't ship til late October!

Did anyone get one?

On happier Carl news, I did get the Ricci Martin Beached Cd a couple of weeks ago.  Very nice sounding re-master by Vic Anesini.  Not brick-walled - so you can turn it up a bit.  Carl and Billy did a great job producing, and are on many of the tracks.  Has c-man ever did a breakdown on which tracks have Dennis on drums, the notes don't say.  If I took a guess, "I Don't Like It" sounds like Dennis.  Four drummers are listed:  Dennis, Ed Teduri, Ricci, and Ricky Fataar.  Ricky is easy to pick out.  His tracks have a '72-74 era Beach Boys feel.  The synths, by Billy and Van Dyke are '77 great!  The orchestrations by Elmo Peeler make his tracks ("Streets of Love" and "Spark of Me") real stand-outs.  "I Had a Dream" would sound even better with a Blondie vocal - It's very Holland-like, sorta "Leaving This Town" in structure.  The bonus tracks are a very nice addition - I like the "Stop Look Around" (Stereo Single Version) better than the Lp take/mix.  My other favs so far are "Belle of the Ball" - the synths give this a very Carl early 70's sound, and "Here I Go Again" is short and sweet, featuring Gerry Beckley like vocals.

Edit:  I said Gerry "on" vocals for "Here I Go Again"...meant to say Gerry Beckley "like" vocals.  So, changed that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:32:46 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2015, 11:18:36 AM »

Mine says it's on its way via Amazon.com (Yes, had to get it imported to the UK). Has anyone received their copy yet?
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »

Yes!  Got the shipping problem cleared up yesterday, and they UPS-ed it overnight.  I've been reading the very nice liner notes.  No new photos, other than one on the in-lay card.  All the space is used for information.  13 pages:  on the recording, a track-by-track by Billy (and Justyn!), then memories of the tour.  Great - something I really wanted.  Billy didn't touch on the two shows I saw in San Francisco, but goes into great detail of their days on the road.  I hope he shows up here to give us some more stories.

Vic Anesini mastered the disc.  I will be spinning it with-in the hour, and get back here tomorrow with some notes.

I'm sure I'll still play my vinyl sometimes, but what a treat to finally have both of Carl's albums on Cd.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2015, 01:29:33 PM »

BTW Billy posted this on Facebook:

Update: the newly released Carl Wilson CD has had such a tremendous initial response that it has already gone into its 2nd pressing - thanks to all of you ...

- Jack Rieley
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »

I haven't been able to find this on Amazon. Does anyone have a link?
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »

Mine now says it's arriving Wednesday the 14th. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx