gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:28:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson - 1st soloalbum-rerelease news!  (Read 29707 times)
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »

Anyone know where you can pre-order this album from?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »

He is missed.   He is the missing link in the 21st Century Beach Boys.    You have to see him talk or perform to really recall what emotions the Beach Boys evoked as a unit.   One sometimes forgets when caught up in the current separate worlds of Brian and Mike.     
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »

They should at least include the single versions of "Hold Me" and "Heaven" as bonus tracks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »

More info from Billy Hinsche:

I'm submitting my liner notes for the reissue of Carl Wilson's first solo album as a CD on Iconoclassic / Sony scheduled for release in late August, 2015 - the booklet is in color and will include my essay, a track-by-track analysis, statements from Carl's sons (my nephews) Jonah & Justyn Wilson, remarks from legendary producer James William Guercio and band members, and will also include a few road stories from 1981 and more ...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »

I'm submitting my liner notes for the reissue of Carl Wilson's first solo album as a CD on Iconoclassic / Sony scheduled for release in late August, 2015 - the booklet is in color and will include my essay, a track-by-track analysis, statements from Carl's sons (my nephews) Jonah & Justyn Wilson, remarks from legendary producer James William Guercio and band members, and will also include a few road stories from 1981 and more ...
Cool!
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »

It will take me all of about 30 seconds to snap this up.  Anything new about Carl Wilson is viewed with great anticipation (to say the least) around my house.  And I'd like to add: "Thank you, Billy, for helping to keep Carl's legacy alive."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »

It will be nice having this and the biography heading into Autumn.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2015, 11:28:07 PM »

It will take me all of about 30 seconds to snap this up.  Anything new about Carl Wilson is viewed with great anticipation (to say the least) around my house.  And I'd like to add: "Thank you, Billy, for helping to keep Carl's legacy alive."
Amen!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 12:56:42 AM »

Another update from Billy Hinsche's facebook post:

Carl Wilson update: I had a chance to see the newly expanded 14 page color booklet (16 pages including the original front and back cover) that will accompany the CD release of his eponymous first solo album, CARL WILSON, and it looks terrific; the original liner notes and album credits will also be included - my entire essay and track-by-track analysis was over 8,000 words so some of the information such as '81 tour dates, set list, etc. might be placed on the Iconoclassic Records website and / or their Facebook page - the release date has been moved to sometime in September, 2015 ...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 04:42:45 AM »

Something else from Billy Hinsche:

Remembering Elvis Presley today and grateful that we have just received permission to use his image in conjunction with an upcoming iTunes release of a recently discovered 1981 Carl Wilson & Myrna Smith collaboration called "This Is Elvis" that was not included in the original soundtrack - with all proceeds to benefit The Carl Wilson Foundation (CWF) ...

- Jack Rieley
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2015, 04:44:43 AM »

Something else from Billy Hinsche:

Remembering Elvis Presley today and grateful that we have just received permission to use his image in conjunction with an upcoming iTunes release of a recently discovered 1981 Carl Wilson & Myrna Smith collaboration called "This Is Elvis" that was not included in the original soundtrack - with all proceeds to benefit The Carl Wilson Foundation (CWF) ...

Good info Rocker, thanks man!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2015, 08:14:03 AM »

Another update from Billy Hinsche on Facebook:

Release date on Iconoclassic / Sony - September 29, 2015 ...

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »

Awesome!  Afro
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »

Very  much looking forward to it!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »

So, there's no bonus tracks?
Other than Billy's new liners, what's the point of buying this, then?
It's like another catalog release on Capitol   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »

I don't have it yet, so I'm glad for this release.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »

Unless you have the Japanese release, this is a must have to add to the collection. There has never been a U.S. CD release.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2015, 07:12:22 PM »

Unless you have the Japanese release, this is a must have to add to the collection. There has never been a U.S. CD release.

So you simply want it for your collection?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »

Interesting that a guy who is obsessed with his collection seems to be giving people crap for wanting to purchase an album on CD that until next month has been pretty hard to find on that medium.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »

Interesting that a guy who is obsessed with his collection seems to be giving people crap for wanting to purchase an album on CD that until next month has been pretty hard to find on that medium.

+1

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »

nah, no crap. just trying to be clear.
you can plus 1M and it'll still be the same

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »

I'll pick it up solely for "Heaven" (although "Hurry Love" is a slight guilty pleasure).  Where does one order a copy?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2015, 06:45:26 AM »

I'll pick it up solely for "Heaven" (although "Hurry Love" is a slight guilty pleasure).  Where does one order a copy?

I pre-ordered mine at Amazon yesterday.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »

No, not simply. I will rip it, then put it away.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »

I’m the first to admit being jaded and pointing out that adding any sort of bonus tracks would have probably made this CD purchase much easier for hardcore fans. They would have undoubtedly sold more copies that way; but the cost of licensing additional tracks, mastering them, etc. may have not been worth it.

But really, I don’t think a potential consumer’s motives for purchasing this CD could possibly be at all ambiguous. What will someone do if they purchase this CD? I dunno, listen to it?

There are undoubtedly some fans that haven’t either tracked down the old Japanese CD or found the myriad of rips/burns/boots, and aren’t interested in tracking an old vinyl copy. Having Carl’s albums in print on CD (and I would presume digital download) is not a bad thing.

To their credit, Iconoclassic paid a good engineer (Vic Anesini) to remaster Carl’s "Youngblood" album from the original tapes; they did not simply rip the tracks from the old Japan CD (which is probably taken from second or third generation tapes). I would hope/assume the same will be true of the S/T album as well.

Carl would perhaps be best served by trying to see if there’s any way to get all the needed labels on board for a “Best of Carl” CD with the best tracks from his admittedly uneven solo albums, and mixing them in with his strongest BB tracks (and maybe a few unreleased tracks). I’m not big on doing more compilation CDs, but getting people into “Feel Flows” and “Long Promised Road” and then slipping in his best solo stuff, and pulling people in with a few of key hit lead vocals, would probably do more to get Carl “out there” than either a reissue of his solo albums or this upcoming “biography” on him.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx