gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:45:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson - 1st soloalbum-rerelease news!  (Read 29708 times)
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »

Billy H posted on FB a while back that a quality unreleased Carl track had been found…  maybe this will be the excuse they need to get it out there.

Was he talking about the Elvis outtake?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 10:27:19 AM »

Hope it's better than that...  That song is worse than anything he did - even worse than anything on Youngblood
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »

I also have the charity CD that was released in 2000; that was from the Cancer Society and cost $100. Great charity too.

Now THAT'S the one to have in the ol' collectione!

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=150916

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »

I also have the charity CD that was released in 2000; that was from the Cancer Society and cost $100. Great charity too.

My understanding is that the solo tracks on that CD were mastered from digital rips of the Japanese CD's.  Also there are actually two versions of the liner notes insert -- the initial printing had Carl's last name misspelled "Wison" in a couple of places, and a good number were shipped out before the mistake was caught and the insert was replaced.

Lee
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:23:24 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »

Got outbid on one of these during an auction at one of the Jeff & Billy gigs in the early noughties, in Edinburgh. Think JP from Newcastle won that one!

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »

"CARL WILSON Long Promised Road" features Beach Boys tracks plus selections from delayed solo reissues." That must mean they were copied from the Japanese discs and pasted to this one, as Lee indicated.

From the 'corrected' liners:

On his two solo albums – Carl Wilson in 1981 and Youngblood in 1983 – Carl returned to his R&B roots. “I didn’t want to compromise and make my solo stuff sound like the Beach Boys,” he commented at the time. “The R&B approach just came naturally. It’s a side of me that’s always wanted to come out. I have this massive collection of R&B records. When we were doing Pet Sounds, I’d go home and put on my Stax and Aretha stuff. It’s always been a big part of my life.” Collaborating with him on songwriting was Myrna Smith, a member of the black gospel trio, The Sweet Inspirations, who sang backup on all of Aretha Franklin’s greatest hits and toured with Elvis Presley throughout the 1970s. Carl and Smith wrote all eight of the songs on Carl Wilson and seven of the 11 songs on Youngblood. The first album highlighted soulful ballads like Hurry Love and Heaven. Producer James William Guercio recalled, “He had the most phenomenal vocal range and texture that I ever had the privilege of putting a microphone in front of.” On his second album, Carl decided to cut loose. “I wanted Youngblood to be a singing album,” he said at the time. “I wanted to express sides of myself that I could never do in the Beach Boys, more hard rock stuff. I wanted to get myself to sing freer, with a greater dynamic range.” Covers of John Hall’s uptempo What You Do To Me and John Fogerty’s rowdy Rockin’ All Over The World afforded him the opportunity to rock as hard as he wanted.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »

Got outbid on one of these during an auction at one of the Jeff & Billy gigs in the early noughties, in Edinburgh. Think JP from Newcastle won that one!

I couldn't make the Carl Walk For Cancer in Socal, so Brad sent me one after the fact for 50 bucks.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »

I couldn't make the Carl Walk For Cancer in Socal, so Brad sent me one after the fact for 50 bucks.

Figures; Brad cheated the charity too. What a tool

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »

I asked him via e-mail if he was gonna donate my money to the cause and he didn't respond.  I hope he did!

Then he asked me if I wanted to buy a Party! EP for 300 bucks and I said no.

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »

I have both of the original Japanese releases. Also the charity cd. At one time I was a  "completist ". Sort of thinking of liquidating my collection.  The passion is no longer there
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 10:48:18 PM »

Figures; Brad cheated the charity too. What a tool
I got one that way, too, and assumed the money was going to the right place.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 11:52:45 PM »

Very much looking forward to this Carl reissue, and Billy is the perfect guy to write about Carl.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 03:23:10 AM »

Billy H posted on FB a while back that a quality unreleased Carl track had been found…  maybe this will be the excuse they need to get it out there.

Was he talking about the Elvis outtake?

That would be my guess as well. But do we know of any outtakes for the first album?

I agree that the Bottomline radiobroadcast would be a great addition. The songs on the album are not great but the live sound makes them sound better imo. Indeed the performance really rocks.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »

"I Thank You"!!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »

"I Thank You"!!!
Yes! And a live "Long Promised Road"!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 11:00:03 AM »

Billy Hinsche posted the following on Facebook:

While currently researching and writing the liner notes for Carl Wilson's soon-to-be-released (late August, 2015) first solo album on CD, I came across this interview from July 4, 1981 - 34 years ago today …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzfYSrFpiUo&feature=share

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »

My understanding is that the solo tracks on that CD were mastered from digital rips of the Japanese CD's.

That is correct -- they borrowed the Japanese CDs from a fan.  

Also there are actually two versions of the liner notes insert -- the initial printing had Carl's last name misspelled "Wison" in a couple of places, and a good number were shipped out before the mistake was caught and the insert was replaced.

That's also true. I was one of the people who proofread the liner notes for the replacement insert.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2015, 06:13:19 PM »

So we got this and the book. Saweeeet! Damn he is missed.

~feel flows~
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »

So we got this and the book. Saweeeet! Damn he is missed.

~feel flows~
yes he is
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 10:56:55 AM »

When and where will this be available?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »

I think it's the same label that put out the CD of "Youngblood" a few years back, so I would guess it will be available on Amazon, etc. Maybe some indie record stores, and so on.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »

This was just posted by Billy Hinsche on Facebook:

Almost done writing the new liner notes for Carl Wilson's soon-to-be-released first solo album, CARL WILSON, on CD as a reissue on Iconoclassic / Sony - scheduled for a late August release with downloads available in 2016 ...

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2015, 10:11:47 PM »

This was just posted by Billy Hinsche on Facebook:

Almost done writing the new liner notes for Carl Wilson's soon-to-be-released first solo album, CARL WILSON, on CD as a reissue on Iconoclassic / Sony - scheduled for a late August release with downloads available in 2016 ...
This will be nice. Billy's notes for the Youngblood cd were very informative and enjoyable.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »

I also have both of the original solo Japanese CD's by Carl. One I found in Goldmine Magazine. The other one I bought from a dealer, and paid a lot for. The one in Goldmine was 35.00.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 12:54:40 AM »

Billy's stated in subsequent replies to that post that there'll be no bonus material Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx