gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:19:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Toni Tennille to write her memoir  (Read 8005 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »

This was posted a few days ago at publishersmarketplace.com in the section reporting book deals:

"Toni Tennille's untitled memoir, in which the music star best known as the gregarious half of the famed duo Captain and Tennille tells about growing up the daughter of an alcoholic father, soaring to the top of the music charts, starring in the couple's 1976 television show, struggling in her marriage to the emotionally abusive Daryl Dragon, and, finally, divorcing him after almost forty years and reclaiming her life, to Rick Rinehart at Taylor, by Jennifer DeChiara at The Jennifer DeChiara Literary Agency (North American rights)"

Well, this is bound to have some stories about being the only gal on the road with the guys, so it's worth keeping an eye out for. No publication date given as of yet.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »

"Emotionally abusive Daryl Dragon"

Sad They always seemed so perfect together, I figured something must have caused their divorce but I never would have thought abuse was a factor.

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »

"Emotionally abusive Daryl Dragon"

Sad They always seemed so perfect together, I figured something must have caused their divorce but I never would have thought abuse was a factor.

Well, it doesn't say physical, it says emotional. Forty years ago, the world learned that Daryl found it much easier to express himself via his good ol' Odyssey and Minimoog than to actually speak. If that was as true offstage as on, just about any divorce court judge would treat it as abuse.  But I guess the book will explain what Toni meant by that. Of course, what I really want to know is how many hitherto unheard Dennis stories it'll have. Or Mike stories. Heck, even a Bruce story will do in a pinch - like how the Captain & Tennille wound up being the first to do I Write The Songs. (Yes, David Cassidy had it out first but he recorded it second.)

http://www.tonitennille.net/blog/2015/4/24/temp

PS - above is Toni's blogpost from a couple of days ago where she talks about her book. It'll come out next year. Alas, she's writing it with her own niece. Really. If you were on the road with the guys in the early '70s, how many stories about them would you feel comfortable telling to your niece? How many about Dennis?! Even in 2015? I feel a tad disappointed.  Anyway, in her blog Toni says a) she's done with showbiz and Australian Shepherds (the canine kind) are her life now and b) she went ahead and divorced Daryl, and he's in a cottage in a gated community in the same town as her and she calls him up every week and visits him a couple times a month. She doesn't indicate anything's changed healthwise since they split.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:13:08 PM by rn57 » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »

Thanxx for this.
Wouldn't have realized she is 75 and doesn't sing or want to do so.

Reading her 9/30/14 entry, she says the ONLY thing she and Daryll had in common was the music. Can see how that would have made things a bit rough when you no longer do that together. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 05:38:59 PM »

Thanxx for this.

Reading her 9/30/14 entry, she says the ONLY thing she and Daryll had in common was the music. Can see how that would have made things a bit rough when you no longer do that together. 

Well, the thing was, she and Daryl never had kids. They always had dogs, as everyone who had or has the Love Will Keep Us Together LP remembers, which would have been a kind of substitute....but evidently not enough to go past forty years of marriage.

In other yacht-rock literary news....or yacht-rock era, anyway....John Oates just signed with St Martin's Press to write his memoir, due out next year. No title announced as of yet but I guess he could call it How To Get Through 43 Years Of "That Short Guy In Hall & Oates" Jokes Without Killing Somebody. 

Come to think of it, his book was announced the same day as Toni's and his partner is named Daryl too. Heckuva coincidence.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »

Thanxx for this.

Well, the thing was, she and Daryl never had kids. They always had dogs, as everyone who had or has the Love Will Keep Us Together LP remembers, which would have been a kind of substitute....but evidently not enough to go past forty years of marriage.

In other yacht-rock literary news....or yacht-rock era, anyway....John Oates just signed with St Martin's Press to write his memoir, due out next year. No title announced as of yet but I guess he could call it How To Get Through 43 Years Of "That Short Guy In Hall & Oates" Jokes Without Killing Somebody.  

Come to think of it, his book was announced the same day as Toni's and his partner is named Daryl too. Heckuva coincidence.

They should all get together for a big drunken party and see who ends up together!  
Publishing in 2016 means she'll be battling Mike's book. Hopefully she'll spill the details of their ontour romances
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:03:19 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:59:51 PM »

dammit Bgas LOL LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »

Can't believe the same guy who wrote the strings to Cuddle Up, Make It Good, and Fallin' In Love would abuse his wife. But......marriage councelors will tell you - verbal abuse is just as bad as physical abuse!

I like Toni. I like Daryl. Daryl has deteriorated fast with the Parkinson's, but it's good to know he's still hanging in there.

Toni's book. Doubt she'll have too much to say about The Boys. Curious to see if Dennis ever hit on her, but other than that, any Beach Boys '72 tour recollections and studio sessions with them would be interesting.

J.C. Fogerty's book will be out this year. I'm all over that one!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 11:11:38 PM »

Curious to see if Dennis ever hit on her...

She was a woman, he was Dennis Wilson. Do the math.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:54 PM »

The book’s getting released a month from today in the US. Might pick up the audiobook.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 01:52:40 AM »

Thanxx for this.

Man, I'd love to read the John Oates book.  What a fascinating, puzzling partnership those two have had.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 06:39:59 PM »

Thanxx for this.

Man, I'd love to read the John Oates book.  What a fascinating, puzzling partnership those two have had.
Yeah, it is strange. They still tour every year, but don't record together. John's into more of an acoustic blues thing now. I wonder how he felt abouot having his lead vocals pushed aside as they became The Daryl Hall Show in the 80's. I suppose he cried all the way to the bank.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:15:37 PM »

Thanxx for this.

Yeah, it is strange. They still tour every year, but don't record together. John's into more of an acoustic blues thing now. I wonder how he felt abouot having his lead vocals pushed aside as they became The Daryl Hall Show in the 80's. I suppose he cried all the way to the bank.

That's my understanding of it.

Oates' acoustic thing is great, btw.  The very thing that made him not a standout vocalist for top 40 singles makes him perfect for the quieter environment.  Check some of the stuff out on youtube.  Very enjoyable.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 09:51:15 AM »

Toni Tennille's book is now out, and parts of it can be read at books.google.com.

And it looks like my fears about what would result if she wrote it with her own niece, as she did, were a bit justified.  There are only a half-dozen pages or so about touring with the BBs - in one of their wildest periods on the road - but she doesn't have anything too startling to report.

Where Dennis is concerned, she says her relationship with him was rather on the frosty side - because, she thinks, he felt the time she was spending with Daryl was cutting into the time he spent working on songs with Daryl.  She tells a story about Denny terrorizing her with his reckless driving.

Not much about Mike except for a short discussion of his leading group meditation.

There is somewhat more about Bruce. She says he was very upset about her and Daryl's version of "If There Were Time," mainly because of Gordon Jenkins' arrangement.

A lot of the book, naturally, is taken up with the why and wherefore of her split with Daryl. Which boils down, mainly, to her saying he was never emotionally available when they were married - that, as superbly as he could express himself when his fingers were on the old 88s, when he got up that was gone.

The book does have its amusing parts, though. Back in Captain & Tennille's heyday, a lot of people wondered if he wore that yachting cap to bed. Toni says that, after an effort at hair transplants didn't work, he did exactly that.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »

I heard Darryl had a medical problem with his eyes, which is why he was always wearing sunglasses.  Wearing a hat all the time is a bit like a certain lead singer of a band.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 10:01:46 AM »

I heard Darryl had a medical problem with his eyes, which is why he was always wearing sunglasses.  Wearing a hat all the time is a bit like a certain lead singer of a band.

Daryl, indeed, has a lifelong medical condition which makes his eyes bug out a bit. In her book Toni says that kids called him "Martian" when he was young because of that, unfortunately. 
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »

Another interesting thing in the book - Toni says she and Daryl wrote out the transcriptions that were used as sheet music for copyright and commercial purposes for the BBs songs published when they were in the touring band.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 11:16:48 AM »

Any mention of her seeing "Star Wars" with Brian?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »

Can't believe the same guy who wrote the strings to Cuddle Up, Make It Good, and Fallin' In Love would abuse his wife. But......marriage councelors will tell you - verbal abuse is just as bad as physical abuse!

I like Toni. I like Daryl. Daryl has deteriorated fast with the Parkinson's, but it's good to know he's still hanging in there.

Toni's book. Doubt she'll have too much to say about The Boys. Curious to see if Dennis ever hit on her, but other than that, any Beach Boys '72 tour recollections and studio sessions with them would be interesting.

J.C. Fogerty's book will be out this year. I'm all over that one!

Mikie, you're back.

f*** no. Just seen the date...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »

Mikie is still banned but he reads the board from work. We chat in e-mails, he is alright & still alive & kicking. Don't worry about him.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 11:10:48 AM »

Toni posted online that Daryl now knows his neurological condition is not Parkinson’s, which is good news.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealToniTennille/posts/1528108814165232

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 07:14:44 AM »

A few other mentions of Bruce. Toni says Bruce told them they would never be signed by a label because they were too old and their name was awful.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx