gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:26:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB's 1964 version of In My Room on The Red Skelton Hour  (Read 5923 times)
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »

0:31 Brian has book and decides he doesn't think he should have it  Cheesy

0:41 Brian looks up at Dennis and looks to the right for a quick second, I'm guessing to makes sure he's on pitch?

1:51 Mike looks down and gets a grin on his face, for some reason.

1:56 Brian has a look of "does the this sound right ? oh yes it does!"

Dennis through out  "ok lets get this damn thing done, so I can leave!"

Brian fidgets so much through this!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »

You know, I don't get the satiric tone in some of these posts. The performance is just lovely--one of their best harmony parts ever recorded, and the only one I think that preserves the one brother at a time entrance into the song like on the record (with Al doubling Dennis--a part he now sings when the BB perform it). The college/school  paraphernalia is OK with me ; I just don't see this as some bizarre disjunction, like Elvis singing in tails sort of thing.Sorry, fellas, I just see it un-ironically, likely a blind spot of idealism again inhibiting judgment.

0:41 Brian looks up at Dennis and looks to the right for a quick second, I'm guessing to makes sure he's on pitch?

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 12:06:44 AM »

Back in the day, I thought the whole "preppy" setting for the Skelton performance was a turn-off and still do. I watched Skelton's show with my family, but also realize I wasn't the target audience for the show.

Interestingly, the BBs were cast in a much more "beachy" setting for their first Skelton appearance, although that one was odd too.
Yeah, I think the show was definitely going for an Ivy league collegiate setting for that show. Is the first appearance on Skelton the video clip I keep seeing with David, horizontal striped shirts, Surfin' USA and some girl wearing what appears to be an awning at stage right? I always wondered where that came from.
It is as though the band's early TV performances were intentionally concocted so as to be as incredibly dated and embarrassing as humanly possible within a few short years.
Their dress and performance were not inconsistent with expectations for dress and conduct for 1964, on that type of program.  "When in Rome, do as..."

There does not appear to be a "conspiracy" to make them look bad.

Not exactly a conspiracy, no. But they did tend to just be willing to go along with that extra mile of cheesiness, which lent itself to being unintentionally comical not long after. Maybe a touch more than some (not all, but some) of their peers might have been willing to do.
There is a danger in looking through a 2015 lens at 1964 video, using 2015 standards of "cheesiness." What appears to be conventional business dress for 1964 might not be now.  Performers regularly wore tuxes to perform in for decades.  It was the standard for dress for a performance on television. 

Exactly... amazes me how people don't get that things have changed in the last fifty years a little bit.  What appears cheesy now didn't necessarily appear cheesy then. 

BTW the same thing still goes on, if you watch musicians depending on where they're performing they dress differently.  It's amazing that has to be stated out loud. 

Kacey Musgraves performed at the grammys last year, with Neon fake cactus plants and a light up neon dress on.  It was kind of funny and cute.

50 years from now, some asshole somewhere will see it and say "Look at how hard she's trying to act like an electrician!  I can't believe she wore that to bed each night!!!"

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 12:11:04 AM »

You know, I don't get the satiric tone in some of these posts. The performance is just lovely--one of their best harmony parts ever recorded, and the only one I think that preserves the one brother at a time entrance into the song like on the record (with Al doubling Dennis--a part he now sings when the BB perform it). The college/school  paraphernalia is OK with me ; I just don't see this as some bizarre disjunction, like Elvis singing in tails sort of thing.Sorry, fellas, I just see it un-ironically, likely a blind spot of idealism again inhibiting judgment.

I agree, I always thought this particular performance was beautifully put together; I like it better than the other version from the Lost Concert.  This and "The Things We Did Last Summer" have a classic feel to it.  The harmony sounded very nice and you could clearly hear everyone.  I don't see what the big deal is  Huh.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
KDS
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 05:50:46 AM »

I really hope that, one of these days, all of these classic Beach Boys TV appearances and promo clips are officially released on DVD. 

They're pretty easy to view on YouTube, and there are DVDs of varying quality available on the VOIO market. 

Bands like The Doors and Deep Purple have put out really nice anthology DVDs with all of their TV appearances / promo videos.  It would be nice if The Beach Boys did the same.  Especially if it includes the bonkers Pet Sounds promo film. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 07:36:58 AM »

Back in the day, I thought the whole "preppy" setting for the Skelton performance was a turn-off and still do. I watched Skelton's show with my family, but also realize I wasn't the target audience for the show.

Interestingly, the BBs were cast in a much more "beachy" setting for their first Skelton appearance, although that one was odd too.
Yeah, I think the show was definitely going for an Ivy league collegiate setting for that show. Is the first appearance on Skelton the video clip I keep seeing with David, horizontal striped shirts, Surfin' USA and some girl wearing what appears to be an awning at stage right? I always wondered where that came from.
It is as though the band's early TV performances were intentionally concocted so as to be as incredibly dated and embarrassing as humanly possible within a few short years.
Their dress and performance were not inconsistent with expectations for dress and conduct for 1964, on that type of program.  "When in Rome, do as..."

There does not appear to be a "conspiracy" to make them look bad.

Not exactly a conspiracy, no. But they did tend to just be willing to go along with that extra mile of cheesiness, which lent itself to being unintentionally comical not long after. Maybe a touch more than some (not all, but some) of their peers might have been willing to do.
There is a danger in looking through a 2015 lens at 1964 video, using 2015 standards of "cheesiness." What appears to be conventional business dress for 1964 might not be now.  Performers regularly wore tuxes to perform in for decades.  It was the standard for dress for a performance on television. 
Exactly... amazes me how people don't get that things have changed in the last fifty years a little bit.  What appears cheesy now didn't necessarily appear cheesy then. 

BTW the same thing still goes on, if you watch musicians depending on where they're performing they dress differently.  It's amazing that has to be stated out loud. 

Kacey Musgraves performed at the grammys last year, with Neon fake cactus plants and a light up neon dress on.  It was kind of funny and cute.

50 years from now, some asshole somewhere will see it and say "Look at how hard she's trying to act like an electrician!  I can't believe she wore that to bed each night!!!"
Exactly - it is all about time-specific context.   Wink
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »

I'm in my 20's and love this version and don't find it cheesy at all.

I think the suits were expected, for the most part, in the 60's and the dress code really does lend itself to a mature, beautiful song that I bet the audience appreciated and enjoyed.

Like others have mentioned, the target audience was probably a bit older, so a "hard rocking" tune or go-go girls on stage probably would've resulted in lower viewership or negative comments.

It sends chills down my spine to hear the one-by-one introduction with the three brothers.  I think the whole set up works.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx