gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:28:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the band have temporarily relocated to the UK in late 60s/early 70s?  (Read 1344 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »

The Beach Boys were respected critically (and commercially) during the late 60s and early 70s in the UK far more than in the US. In retrospect, would it have been wise for the band to temporarily relocate their base of operations to the UK during these years? They could have continued US touring. But the close proximity to other progressive UK bands may have helped them cultivate an "aura of hip" during this period. Of course, other things like matching shirts would have to be ditched. But could this move have done anything to help them?

I realize the big problem with Brian and his illness/drug use during this time would have likely prevented such a thing on its own. But hey, this is theoretical. Debate away.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »

The Beach Boys were respected critically (and commercially) during the late 60s and early 70s in the UK far more than in the US. In retrospect, would it have been wise for the band to temporarily relocate their base of operations to the UK during these years? They could have continued US touring. But the close proximity to other progressive UK bands may have helped them cultivate an "aura of hip" during this period. Of course, other things like matching shirts would have to be ditched. But could this move have done anything to help them?

I realize the big problem with Brian and his illness/drug use during this time would have likely prevented such a thing on its own. But hey, this is theoretical. Debate away.

I do think this could have been a good idea, as long as the band refrained from making any UK novelty songs referencing cities, UK foods, etc. And pre-Jack Rieley, I'm not sure that would have been a resistible temptation by some member(s). Seriously!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:26:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »

They'd still be welcome here.

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »

John, get them to move into the village hall! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »

They'd still be welcome here.

Absolutely!

But they're such an American Band, I think it would have taken them too far away from their mainspring of inspiration. I know they recorded an album in Holland but the material had already mostly been written, right? And it was mostly about California, with just one mention of Amsterdamee.

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:25:40 AM »

Okay, we have seven sleeping bags laid out in the village hall (have I forgotten anyone?) - ill clear it with the hall committee and the parish council later.

Just need an idea of numbers so I can arrang with Margaret about how many cakes to get baked.

Hangers-on (technicians, support musicians, tour crew, roadies, wives) can book their own accommodation in the Craven Heifer or at Taitlands.

Expecting a power surge in the evenings…
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:26:49 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:43:02 AM »

I'd have welcomed this!

I don't think it would have hurt in the late 60s and early 70s. After Endless Summer they were once again popular on account of being American - specifically, Californian.

Would they have liked the weather? Perhaps not. 1975 and 1976 were alright of course.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:55:01 AM »

I wish they all could be Canterbury girls.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx