gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:13:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if- instead of the Lil Deuce Couple LP..  (Read 3336 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:11:32 PM »

They put out an ep instead between Surfer Girl & Shut Down vol2 and it was just the five new tracks minus the rewrites and reissues: ballad of ol betsy, be true to your school, spirit of america, no-go showboat and custom machine?
KDS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:56:43 AM »

The only thing that would've really changed would be that the chronology of the two-fers wouldn't have been thrown out of whack. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »

Little Deuce Coupe was the groups first GREAT album.  FAR more consistant that either of the 3 previous albums.  It only came out about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks after the  Surfer Girl long player.  I seems clear that Brian and the guys worked on both albums at the same time and that it was Surfer Girl which ended up borrowing material from LDC.

Besides ep's were more of a UK thing.  That wasn't the general format for release over here on this side of the pond.  Yes there are some VERY nifty songs on Surfer Gilr.  Problem is...they didn't fit the LDC album car theme.  [Ya I know BTTYS isn't a car song but in it they still CRUISED around the other parts of the town showing off the school decal]  There are some stinkers on Surfer Girl...but I'm still glad to have 'em.  No...Going forward from Little Deuce Coupe...Brian just kep raising the bar until negativity and 'the neverending demand' burnt him at both ends.

Save Little Deuce Coupe from retroactive elimination!!! Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »

Don't touch 'Little Deuce Coupe'. It's a great record. Bringing in the car songs from the other albums does nothing to weaken it's appeal. It's fantastic from start to finish. I play it all the time. I step on the gas and go WHHHHHHHHAAAA right into a crowded shopping mall. I'm even shut down by the ice cream truck. Love this record. Would sleep with it under my pillow if I could. Better than Smile. Deal with it.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »

Great Just. Like. It. Is.  One of their best. No Little Deuce Coupe album would mean I have one less Beach Boys album.  Two, actually, since I have two copies of it, one framed, one on the shelf. And who needs two less Beach Boys albums?
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »

Also their best-selling album of the sixties. (i.e. not counting subsequent sales) Though I disagree that it's better than Surfer Girl.

Please delete my account
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »

people would wonder when this EP, would have ended up on some sort of full length album, and it would have been released on some sort of full album compilation at some point,  maybe Best of vol2 or something...also it was their first album with no filler..no comedy skits, no instrumentals and no cover tunes (except for the re-write of "Our hearts were full of spring.") it is the first truly Brian Wilson album with the start of the wall of sound that he would experiment more with Shut down vol2 and so on..
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 04:14:55 PM »

Also their best-selling album of the sixties. (i.e. not counting subsequent sales) Though I disagree that it's better than Surfer Girl.

and their only Lp that seems to have been continuosly available at all times since it's initial release; through every label re-design

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 06:35:11 PM »

Never heard of this Lil Deuce Couple lp....A rarity?   
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »

I love lil deuce coupe, great lp. Surfin usa and summer days were their biggest albums in the 60s, next to concert.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:05:34 PM »

Don't touch 'Little Deuce Coupe'. It's a great record. Bringing in the car songs from the other albums does nothing to weaken it's appeal. It's fantastic from start to finish. I play it all the time. I step on the gas and go WHHHHHHHHAAAA right into a crowded shopping mall. I'm even shut down by the ice cream truck. Love this record. Would sleep with it under my pillow if I could. Better than Smile. Deal with it.
Without LDC, there could be the possibility that we may have never heard "Car Crazy Cutie"-my fave on the album with an incredible Brian lead.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 08:47:05 PM »

Little Deuce Coupe was the groups first GREAT album.  FAR more consistant that either of the 3 previous albums.  It only came out about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks after the  Surfer Girl long player.  I seems clear that Brian and the guys worked on both albums at the same time and that it was Surfer Girl which ended up borrowing material from LDC.

Huh....never looked at it that way...pretty cool!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »

Ah, I love the LDC album. One problem is that its WAY too short. That's not surprising at all considering the workflow the boys were going through at this time.

Oh and Car Crazy Cutie is a great Brian vocal that brings to mind a lot of Dion's early 60's productions.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 12:59:20 AM »

Always loved LDC, though felt it ought to have had another car song rather than Be True, which holds a place similar to Barbara Ann in my affections...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 04:11:32 AM »

What's everyone's fave BB album with a car on the front cover? LDC, Shut Down Vol. 2, Carl and the Passions, or Salute NASCAR? Cheesy
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »

What's everyone's fave BB album with a car on the front cover? LDC, Shut Down Vol. 2, Carl and the Passions, or Salute NASCAR? Cheesy

Whoa, too limiting!  Different eras, different LPs:  60s = LDC/SD2 is a tie, can't pick between em.  70s= Holland.  80s = LA

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »

Better than Smile. Deal with it.

You know, I have to agree.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »

Always loved LDC, though felt it ought to have had another car song rather than Be True, which holds a place similar to Barbara Ann in my affections...

David Marks suggested his song 'Kustom Kar Show' for the LP.

Brian knocked it back.

(It was later released by Dave & The Marksmen.)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »

They put out an ep instead between Surfer Girl & Shut Down vol2 and it was just the five new tracks minus the rewrites and reissues: ballad of ol betsy, be true to your school, spirit of america, no-go showboat and custom machine?

I'm trying to imagine a life without "Cherry Cherry Coupe"... a bleak prospect indeed. Grin   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 02:01:44 PM »

Better than Smile. Deal with it.

You know, I have to agree.

Please. Roll Eyes  Evolution says not a chance.  2 great albums.  Smile kills LDC.  Boys to men.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »

I wouldn't compare deuce coupe to smile. One is 2/3 of an album with 1/3 reissued cuts and the other an unreleased legend. The comparison is asinine.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx