gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:16:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Be Still: The Music of Dennis Wilson  (Read 3033 times)
Grrocks
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »

Does anyone have any info of this?  I picked up a copy last week when I was in Los Angeles.  It appears to be a legit release, but is tagged as a promo release.  The label is listed as Omnivore, with a 2014 release.  There are listings on EBay for this, but I'm sort of curious if anyone knows the background to this release.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »

First I've heard of it. Very likely footwear.

Edit: Omnivore was co-founded by former Capitol staffer Cheryl Pawelski, who produced the 2000 Brother 2fers. It's a reissue label, and is entirely legit. That said, it seems this disc was never intended for commercial release.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:07:39 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »

There was info about this in another thread: don't have time to dig it out now but it prompted me to track a copy down… excellent compilation.

“We live in divisive times.”
Grrocks
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »

Andrew and John - thank you for the info.  It is an excellent compilation, but I was not able to find any mention of it on the Omnivore site.  Highly recommended, but with the possible exception of a couple Dennis sound bites I believe everything is already commercially available.

could it have been a tie in with the aborted Dennis movie?
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »

Wow. There's a comp I'd love on vinyl.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »

I've heard of it but have not seen it.  Omnivore is the company that just released the RSD "Sessions '64" 10" vinyl with The Honeys & Castells tracks. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 11:53:13 AM »

Edit: Omnivore was co-founded by former Capitol staffer Cheryl Pawelski, who produced the 2000 Brother 2fers. It's a reissue label, and is entirely legit. That said, it seems this disc was never intended for commercial release.

Cheryl hails from Milwaukee. Back in the day, just before the twofers came out, I met her by chance in a very good record store. She was home for the holidays. A long story made short, she ended up sending me all of the twofers for free, a few weeks before they were released.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »

Cheryl hails from Milwaukee. Back in the day, just before the twofers came out, I met her by chance in a very good record store. She was home for the holidays. A long story made short, she ended up sending me all of the twofers for free, a few weeks before they were released.

Wow, That had to be great!  If only she had included one of those acetate test pressing CDs of TWOTS (that beachboys_fr scored with the 7 minute WIBNTLA)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:11:07 PM »

The Be Still CD was put together by Brad Rosenberger of Omnivore as a publishing sampler.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »

Press release for Omnivore Publishing from last year, that mentions the cd -
http://omnivorerecordings.com/press-release-omnivore-music-publishing/

Omnivore Music Publishing’s first signing is the music of Dennis Wilson. The former Beach Boy, who tragically died in 1983, was an unheralded songwriter in the band until his solo album Pacific Ocean Blue was released in 1977 to huge critical acclaim. In 2008, Sony/Legacy released a deluxe edition that was subsequently named Reissue of the Year by Rolling Stone and Mojo.

In addition to Wilson, Omnivore has also signed longtime Beach Boys collaborator, and legendary poet Stephen John Kalinich. Kalinich, based in Los Angeles, is currently working on his third solo album, scheduled for release later this year. His legendary 1969 poetry album, A World Of Peace Must Come, co-produced by Brian Wilson, was just re-issued on vinyl for the first time this past Record Store Day.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »

I just exchanged a couple of e-mails with Cheryl Pawelski. She says:

Regarding Be Still - Dennis Wilson. We do have a promotional-only publishing sampler by that name. As far as the promos are concerned, these are still actively being used for licensing. It's a shame they get out on eBay and to the general public, but there's just no way to beat that! We sure hope to be able to get a Dennis release out there some day!

cp

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx