gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:46:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soundtrack  (Read 17970 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »

It has been suggested that there's no soundtrack available because Mike, being conflicted about Brian's "artistic side" is blocking it. If this is not the case, if there are other reasons for the soundtrack not appearing, or if those that submitted the ML reasons don't really know, it better be clarified.

OR what?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2015, 02:41:59 PM »

It has been suggested that there's no soundtrack available because Mike, being conflicted about Brian's "artistic side" is blocking it. If this is not the case, if there are other reasons for the soundtrack not appearing, or if those that submitted the ML reasons don't really know, it better be clarified.

OR what?

Wow! My first bgas one-liner!!!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2015, 03:06:56 AM »

Rerelease of BWs first solo, occasionally refered to as L&M by vendors, can't help but confuse the chances of the soundtrack.

Anyone know yet if the correct mixes are included this time around?

Price here is very keen:

http://www.spincds.com/renaissance-live-in-concert-tour-2011-dvd-2cd-45099

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2015, 03:30:57 AM »

Rerelease of BWs first solo, occasionally refered to as L&M by vendors, can't help but confuse the chances of the soundtrack.

Price here is very keen:

http://www.spincds.com/renaissance-live-in-concert-tour-2011-dvd-2cd-45099

Cool that this is being re-released. A shame that all of Brian`s solo CDs havent been given the bonus track treatment.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2015, 04:36:23 AM »

I sincerely hope so, particularly in the case of "Melt Away", whose original mix is said to be amazing... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »

I'm hoping for a L&M soundtrack release as well, but I don't think there's much chance of seeing it released right now, as the focus, as it should be, is on promoting and selling NPP.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »

I'm hoping for a L&M soundtrack release as well, but I don't think there's much chance of seeing it released right now, as the focus, as it should be, is on promoting and selling NPP.

I agree. If anything, a soundtrack album would be a terrible idea right now, wouldn't it? Brian wants to move his new music. Hopefully the film will push some more sales for NPP.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »

I seriously doubt anyone was expecting a soundtrack of L&M to be released tomorrow.  The debut in the US is 5-Jun.  It is a spectacular soundtrack.  I'm sure some people here can do a nice recording of the music, and no disrespect, but I really want an official version off the original track shown in the film. 
KDS
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2015, 06:05:05 AM »

I think its comical that people are actually accusing Mike Love of blocking the release of a L&M soundtrack. 

Firstly, why would Mike block a release that's going to make him money?  There would likely be a few MEL credits on the album I would imagine. 

Secondly, I wouldn't think Mike would even have any control of whether or not an OST is released. 

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2015, 06:52:59 AM »

I think its comical that people are actually accusing Mike Love of blocking the release of a L&M soundtrack.  

Firstly, why would Mike block a release that's going to make him money?  There would likely be a few MEL credits on the album I would imagine.  

Secondly, I wouldn't think Mike would even have any control of whether or not an OST is released.  

Is it not possible that Mike is more about the legacy (as he sees it) than the money? If he saw the release as harming the legacy, that would be a good motivator towards him blocking it's release.

I suspect it has more to do with market saturation and that we'll see a release eventually. *fingers firmly crossed*
KDS
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2015, 07:00:55 AM »

Firstly, why would Mike block a release that's going to make him money?  There would likely be a few MEL credits on the album I would imagine.  

Is it not possible that Mike is more about the legacy (as he sees it) than the money? If he saw the release as harming the legacy, that would be a good motivator towards him blocking it's release.

I'm not sure how to respond to this one.  I'm really not looking to derail this thread into an anti-Mike thing, but judging by the fact that Mike tours as The Beach Boys without Brian or Al, I'd say he's much more concerned about the money than the legacy.   

But just about every movie that gets a wide release has a companion OST released.  They could be trying to decide what the nature of the release will be - ie.  score, BB songs, etc. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2015, 07:21:13 AM »

Firstly, why would Mike block a release that's going to make him money?  There would likely be a few MEL credits on the album I would imagine. 

I'm not sure how to respond to this one.  I'm really not looking to derail this thread into an anti-Mike thing, but judging by the fact that Mike tours as The Beach Boys without Brian or Al, I'd say he's much more concerned about the money than the legacy.   

But just about every movie that gets a wide release has a companion OST released.  They could be trying to decide what the nature of the release will be - ie.  score, BB songs, etc. 
How they tour will not affect their legacy. Their legacy will be based on what they put to tape. Now, had Mike released multiple SIP-type albums since 1998, then yes, he would have affected the Beach Boys legacy.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2015, 07:35:44 AM »

How they tour will not affect their legacy. Their legacy will be based on what they put to tape. Now, had Mike released multiple SIP-type albums since 1998, then yes, he would have affected the Beach Boys legacy.

Ah yes, well in that case, their legacy as recording artists is in tact. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2015, 08:08:35 AM »

I know that. You know that. But someone with a vote doesn't see it that way. At least not wholly that way.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:20 AM »

<<Wondering how the addition of this song to the the film squares with your statements about the distribution deals.
Could other songs/music be added at this point if they( Brian/Pohlad/??) wanted to do so?>>

It's always possible to add songs before general release, or even after general release, or even change content.  Music licensing for film is, in the end, a very simple, albeit expensive process.  Again. it boils down to money.  The primary expense with this kind of change is going back into the locked picture and changing both the finished sound mix and the end credit roll.  Legally, and from a licensing standpoint, perfectly easy.  But it does cost a great deal of money to handle the post production changes.  It would be a lot more expensive if a music track were changed after general release.

The big trick here, assuming the producers what the film to qualify for the Oscars, is to ensure that the completed feature as distributed is the same film submitted to the Academy.  The Academy has very strict rules when it comes to Oscar submissions.  Again, the film submitted for an Oscar has to have the same content/same edit as the film released theatrically.  Technically, the film has already screened theatrically, with different end credit music.  However, that has only been in festivals.  So the qualification rule - I think - only applies after the film has opened and played in a theater, for paying customers, and for multiple screenings.  So Love & Mercy is probably safe.  
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2015, 09:17:04 AM »

As far as one party of BRI holding up a release, I suppose it is conjecture at this point. However, if it were to be the case, would we be correct in assuming that a majority vote needs to take place in terms of a touring license, but that a unanimous vote needs to take place to release an album?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx