gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680778 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 04:58:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soundtrack  (Read 18035 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »

Is their a movie Soundtrack to the movie Love and Mercy? 

I had a fast Life
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:13:01 PM »

I hope so, it would be pretty silly for a movie about a famous musician to be silent.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:58:57 PM »

NO official soundtrack album, to my knowledge.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 11:10:42 PM »

They should release Sweet Insanity as a special movie tie-in.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 11:12:45 PM »

NO official soundtrack album, to my knowledge.

Hmm… so those sound collages will go to waste post-DVD?

“We live in divisive times.”
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:53:32 AM »

I assume that because of Atticus Ross' involvement, we'll get something later on. People will want to hear that stuff, even the ones who aren't Beach Boys fans. It would be crazy not to release it in some form.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 01:22:02 AM »

I assume that because of Atticus Ross' involvement, we'll get something later on. People will want to hear that stuff, even the ones who aren't Beach Boys fans. It would be crazy not to release it in some form.

It's not happening.

Full stop.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 02:13:09 AM »

Also my understanding.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 03:51:56 AM »

It makes no difference to me whether they release a soundtrack, because there is nothing like the real thing, which we all have in spades. Nobody does the Beach Boys like The Beach Boys. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 04:12:31 AM »

Wow, I would not have guessed that in a million years. I was expecting something like this: http://tinyurl.com/mppxze6
KDS
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 05:15:00 AM »

In a way, I'm almost glad there's no soundtrack. 

I was afraid the record label would see this as a cash grab and tack on a couple Beach Boys or Brian Wilson rarities just to get us diehards to buy a copy of the CD. 
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »

A couple of Beach Boys and Brian Wilson rarities? Where? Sign me up!  w00t!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »

Wouldn't be too hard for the label to put together a download-only itunes OST compilation, if all the tracks are previously released.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »

A couple of Beach Boys and Brian Wilson rarities? Where? Sign me up!  w00t!

But would you really want to pay for a CD with one or two rare tracks to have yet another copy of Wouldn't It Be Nice in your collection? 

Quite frankly, I'd love to see somebody take all of the BB rarities that weren't on GV, Endless Harmony, and MIC and put them on one collection without padding the collection with two or three discs of greatest hits / album tracks. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 08:38:53 AM »

I’m not a fan of one or two “bait” bonus tracks on compilations. But I guess it would depend on what the bonus tracks in question would be. A couple of previously-unreleased live versions of familiar songs? I dunno. Than it would just be hardcore completists buying it because they “have to.”  A couple of “holy grail” status bonus tracks? It would be worth the $15 for the CD, though still not nearly as preferable as some sort of organized larger-scale release of rarities and outtakes.

As for the *score* to the film as opposed to a soundtrack with BB tracks, I haven’t heard the score but people have been saying it’s excellent. A release of that would be welcome. I’ve seen a number of download-only movie scores. If it’s as good as people have said, I’d like to see either an album release of it or some sort of “isolated score” on the eventual blu-ray.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »

The question no one is asking is *why* isn't there a companion soundtrack being released. So, why isn't a companion soundtrack being released?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »

My thoughts after having seen the movie twice.

Why would anyone not want to hear Atticus Ross,an Academy Award winning composer, weaving a soundtrack of the original music written and produced by Brian ?

It's not just a replay of the original tracks. Those of you that are going to see the movie will understand that ; I think a few on this board who have seen it already have.

If you have seen the movie and you do not like what he did ; well ok; fine;  that's your opinion.

But if you have not seen the movie in one of it's previews , than how the hell can you make a judgement on something that you have not heard ?

So I second the notion ; why wouldn't their be a soundtrack ?

I want one.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »

Same here Ray. From what I have heard, it's an amazing score by Ross.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »

According to Billboard magazine, Capitol records will be releasing a soundtrack.  No date given.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 09:23:01 AM »

Same here Ray. From what I have heard, it's an amazing score by Ross.

Smile Brian ; have you heard that from someone who has seen thhe film  ?

I am gathering from your post that you have personally not seen it .
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 09:24:23 AM »

According to Billboard magazine, Capitol records will be releasing a soundtrack.  No date given.

When did Billboard say this?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »

When did Billboard say this?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.

Last September.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »

It's not happening.

Full stop.

Also my understanding.

These are definitive statements, do you have confirmation of this and if so from where? It would be a shame to not get a soundtrack, and also how could a film about a musician of Brian Wilson's stature not get a soundtrack release?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »

It will be a monumental shame if a soundtrack is not released. Atticus Ross did what any good film conposer tries to do - write music that adds to the emotional impact of the film. The music he created, some collages and some more isolated musical elements, played such an integral part to conveying the story. It was really amazing to listen to and very emotionally moving, at least for me.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »

Do we need a Love and Mercy soundtrack?

The potential target markets for a Love and Mercy soundtrack are:

- people who already are Beach Boys fans
- people who are not that familiar with the works of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys

We can safely assume some rare tracks would make a Beach Boys fan buy the soundtrack.

And let's say a person, who does not own any Beach Boys albums, watches the movie and decides to find out more about Brian's music an official movie soundtrack is an obvious "gateway album". You watch the movie Love and Mercy --> you like Love and Mercy --> you google "Love and Mercy soundtrack" --> you buy the Love and Mercy soundtrack --> you like the songs on Love and Mercy --> you buy more Beach Boys albums == a new Beach Boys fan is born.

Releasing a soundtrack does not have any real downsides. Instead it is a great tool for attracting more fans. Plus hardcore fans get some rare tracks they have not heard before. I really hope there is no behind the scenes schism at Capitol Records preventing a soundtrack from being released.

Please release the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:17:39 AM by Hamstring Hero » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx